April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Stacking LSPs  (Read 19574 times)

Offline cufootn

• Café Member
Stacking LSPs
« on: July 01, 2008, 10:33:30 PM »
Can I put say collinite on for durability then nattys for looks? I know that Zaino can be layered but what are the effects of others?

Offline DnD Auto Detailing

• Professional Detailer
    • D&D Auto Detailing
Re: Stacking LSPs
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 10:52:37 PM »
The general rule is, you cannot put a glaze or Carnauba on before a sealant. However, there are some glazes that you can apply before sealants. One of which is CG EZ Creme. Also, topping some sealants with certain Carnaubas simply doesnt work. You just need to test different combos to see which works best.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 11:26:47 PM »
The general rule is, you cannot put a glaze or Carnauba on before a sealant. However, there are some glazes that you can apply before sealants. One of which is CG EZ Creme. Also, topping some sealants with certain Carnaubas simply doesnt work. You just need to test different combos to see which works best.

Really?

Damn....another new rule!  LOL   

Dan, I have done  this combo before...was it a waste?

SSR1
PB PP
Clearkote Vanillia Hand Moose
EX-P
Nattys

You saying that doesn't really work?  I really do like that ClearKote stuff on White....well I did like it until I used PB White Diamond but same principle. 

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

• Professional Detailer
    • D&D Auto Detailing
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 11:56:38 PM »
Based on the rule, Id have to say yes. But I havent tried that myself.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 11:59:09 PM »

Ok, I have to dig a little deeper on this...I will say this...PB does put right on the lable of BlackHole and WhiteDimond to follow with EX-P or Wax. 

I suspect that plan of attack is ok, but the clearkote or other glazes would be questionable. 

If that is the case, that does save some time.   :hs:

• Professional Detailer
    • D&D Auto Detailing
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 12:12:03 AM »
I just read the description on the PB site and it sounds like Black Hole has polymers in it.

Offline 05_sprcrw

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 07:17:57 AM »
wow, I am learning something new in almost every thread! This site is a million times better then the other detailing forum I participate in. Keep it up guys, I now have 4 different techniques to try the next go round.  :clap:
........Dude....... Teach me!

Offline Val3ntin0

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 07:25:02 AM »

Ok, I have to dig a little deeper on this...I will say this...PB does put right on the lable of BlackHole and WhiteDimond to follow with EX-P or Wax. 

I suspect that plan of attack is ok, but the clearkote or other glazes would be questionable. 

If that is the case, that does save some time.   :hs:

Last detail I used Black Hole followed by EX-P. I hope PB is right and it wasn't a "waste".

Offline Rockpick

• Administrator
  • The Final Detail - Henderson, KY
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 07:54:05 AM »
The word that I've always heard - including instruction given by one of the Meguiar's chemists in Irvine - was that you can only stack so many thin layers of anything on just about anything before you get diminishing returns.

I think the comparison that he used was that if you take 5 pieces of paper and stack them all on top of eachother and take your hand and rub around on the top, the top few sheets will move around whereas the bottom sheet wouldn't move. 

Comparing that to waxes (at the time, we were discussing carnaubas but, my assumption would be that this would be applicable to synthetics or anything else for that matter, too), you can layer in as many as you'd like but you're likely removing or smearing or compromising the layer immediately below it at a certain point.

They love calling it the Law of Diminishing Returns -- while that may or may not be the proper terminology, it does make sense to me...   Further, I don't see how brand, variety, or any factor like that would really matter other than in the way it smeared or was compromised... 

IMO, the sheets of paper comparison really made it make sense...

-RP-
Now With Scrubbing Bubbles...

Offline 05_sprcrw

• Café Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 08:09:43 AM »
The word that I've always heard - including instruction given by one of the Meguiar's chemists in Irvine - was that you can only stack so many thin layers of anything on just about anything before you get diminishing returns.

I think the comparison that he used was that if you take 5 pieces of paper and stack them all on top of eachother and take your hand and rub around on the top, the top few sheets will move around whereas the bottom sheet wouldn't move. 

Comparing that to waxes (at the time, we were discussing carnaubas but, my assumption would be that this would be applicable to synthetics or anything else for that matter, too), you can layer in as many as you'd like but you're likely removing or smearing or compromising the layer immediately below it at a certain point.

They love calling it the Law of Diminishing Returns -- while that may or may not be the proper terminology, it does make sense to me...   Further, I don't see how brand, variety, or any factor like that would really matter other than in the way it smeared or was compromised... 

IMO, the sheets of paper comparison really made it make sense...

-RP-

That cleared things up tremendously for me. Thanks, it really helped being able to picture that in my head. I knew that stacking was to many products would not help in the long run but I had no idea why.

• Professional Detailer
    • D&D Auto Detailing
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 10:49:30 AM »
The Carnauba in glazes and waxes prevents sealants from bonding properly.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 12:02:58 PM »
The Carnauba in glazes and waxes prevents sealants from bonding properly.

I have no issues going from a Glaze right to LSP.   But I also have no problem skipping the glaze to use a sealer either.  Guess for me it just depends but regardless, good info.  Scratch that, great info.

That's what I did on this car. 

SSR1
PP
WD
Nattys Blue (just to see what blue would do to light colors)

I was actually surprised how hard the paint was on this car.  I was limited on time but I wanted to hit it a little harder.  Did this car about a month or so ago. 

Offline 05_sprcrw

• Café Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 01:37:48 PM »
looks pretty good. I know a few weeks ago I decided to use WD on my F150, just to see what it would do to a dark vehicle. I am happy with it, but IMO I still think BH provides a little deeper look, probably not noticeable just my eyes telling me that it made a difference. But now I working on getting a hold of some Natty's red, have always wanted to try it.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 02:07:43 PM »
looks pretty good. I know a few weeks ago I decided to use WD on my F150, just to see what it would do to a dark vehicle. I am happy with it, but IMO I still think BH provides a little deeper look, probably not noticeable just my eyes telling me that it made a difference. But now I working on getting a hold of some Natty's red, have always wanted to try it.

This is with BH on it

BMW paint which was my last car I did, didn't do it right with the right polishes (another thread) but black hole looks pretty good on this one too. 

Its also on our the front page of the forum..same car. 

I am going to be using BH and WD as a temp fix due to the fillers he has in it between full details.  I like using sealers and based on what I have learned this week, i am skipping the glaze step, well it depends on the car of course and time. 

JP

Offline Rockpick

• Administrator
  • The Final Detail - Henderson, KY
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 02:30:08 PM »
That Bimmer is absolutely stunning.  Black paint with a bit of flake in it is SO much fun to work on... the flake just jumps out of the paint when done well...

I've only done one with that particular color - I think it was called Saphire Black, maybe? - and I kick myself for not taking pictures once I was done with it... I was in a hurry and the owner was taking delivery and I simply didn't have time to pull it off before I got it where I wanted it...

That guy moved away with YUM brands (KFC/Taco Bell/etc)... he was some kind of big-wig with those guys...

-RP-
Now With Scrubbing Bubbles...

* Recent Photos

IMG_3243.JPG

Views: 1
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal