April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
[28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Trying a "VLOG" Style Vid  (Read 3298 times)

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
Trying a "VLOG" Style Vid
« on: January 16, 2024, 12:16:47 AM »
I am pretty bummed that I lost a ton of POV riding footage and couldn't get Active Track to work on the Drone (I had bumped the mode switch on the remote.... :dope:).

Anyway, enjoy and feel free to poke some fun! It's certainly a bit awkward and content is un-balanced, but a good experience in putting together a vid regardless.

https://youtu.be/dlInao-ToiU
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 12:18:48 AM by Blown F-150 »
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: Trying a "VLOG" Style Vid
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 12:42:25 PM »
Bummed I didn’t see this two hours ago.  Little one is stirring from her nap.  Going to take a look at this later. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 01:22:35 PM »
Scratch that.  Went to get her and her arms went straight out to her sides and she passed back out.  Haha

Video was good.  Obviously you know audio needs work.  You need a mic for vlogging.  I have no experience with them at all.  My audio would suck as well if I attempted a video like this. 

You made a better meal camping then most do at home. Nice!  I was jealous as prime ribeye is my go to not to mention asparagus and potatoes. 

Deon shots were cool.  Almost necessary out there to understand it fully.  I would just say if there’s nothing interesting in the sky, include less of it.  During some of the shots I was wanting to see more detail in the closer foreground to really give you that perspective as things got smaller the further they got away but I was kind of stuck on the huge blue sky.  Also, with wide angle lenses like drones have, the mountains will look bigger if kept near the top of the screen because the lenses stretch the scene. 

That view you mentioned where the GoPro didn’t do it justice.  For sure that accurate.  GoPros make everything even a short distance away look small and unimpressive.  Trying switching over to linear mode on the GoPro and it will have a much less wide angled, fish eyes look.  Should make things like that look bigger and closer. 

Is your windshield cracked? 

Did the active track adjust its height and distance on its own or were you controlling it to some degree? 

Steepness never translates to camera.  I’ve been on trails where I though I can’t wait to see this on camera only for it to looks almost flat.  So disappointing haha.

I like that you took the extra time to set up the GoPro ahead on the trails and come back for a third person view.  First person always gets boring especially if there isn’t anyone else around you.  I’ve always wanted to set up shots ahead of time, especially since it’s always me that got the camera so I’m hardly ever in any shots but it’s just a hassle to everyone else to stop all the time and I’m never by myself. 

Also, as an American, I was disappointed I didn’t hear much of your Canadian come out.  Haha.  A few times I caught it. 

Cool video though! 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2024, 07:14:42 PM »
Thanks for the feedback and input Mike!

The GoPro was corrupting SD cards, I forgot my laptop charger and I couldn't get active trac to work at all, so I got pretty frustrated with the tech and didn't even muddle with the settings on the GP. I even took the max lens off at one point and forgot to put it back on, lol. 

I have a mic somewhere, but think the kids did something with it as I can't find it anywhere. I was hoping the "Media mod" was going to make up for it, but it sure didn't like when there was any background noise. If I do any more vids, I'll have to grab another mic, they are pretty in-expensive.

Great point on the drone shots, I'll take that into consideration next time around. Now that I know I bumped the remote switch enough to think it was in sport mode, I can get active track to work next time. So all those shots of the truck moving, were me driving and flying at the same time, lol. I really wanted to get active track to work to chase the quad, but no luck there. Hopefully next time I can get some more core content shots and footage to use, the vid could have probably been under 10 minutes, lol.

I really wish I could convey the steepness of some of the hills. I may go through the effort of getting the 3rd person shot from the side of the trail, like place the camera back in the bush a bit and then drive by. Seriously, some of the trails were so steep that I thought I was going to flip the quad and it's a long wheelbase.

Just trying to learn and by going through the whole process on a "VLOG" type vid, I think I learned a lot. Now let's see if I improve on the next one! 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 07:59:07 PM »

The GoPro was corrupting SD cards, I forgot my laptop charger and I couldn't get active trac to work at all, so I got pretty frustrated with the tech and didn't even muddle with the settings on the GP. I even took the max lens off at one point and forgot to put it back on, lol. 

I have a mic somewhere, but think the kids did something with it as I can't find it anywhere. I was hoping the "Media mod" was going to make up for it, but it sure didn't like when there was any background noise. If I do any more vids, I'll have to grab another mic, they are pretty in-expensive.

Great point on the drone shots, I'll take that into consideration next time around. Now that I know I bumped the remote switch enough to think it was in sport mode, I can get active track to work next time. So all those shots of the truck moving, were me driving and flying at the same time, lol. I really wanted to get active track to work to chase the quad, but no luck there. Hopefully next time I can get some more core content shots and footage to use, the vid could have probably been under 10 minutes, lol.

I really wish I could convey the steepness of some of the hills. I may go through the effort of getting the 3rd person shot from the side of the trail, like place the camera back in the bush a bit and then drive by. Seriously, some of the trails were so steep that I thought I was going to flip the quad and it's a long wheelbase.

Just trying to learn and by going through the whole process on a "VLOG" type vid, I think I learned a lot. Now let's see if I improve on the next one!
You pretty much know what you’re doing.  It’s just a matter of dialing it all in and fine tuning everything.  Cutting the footage down to smaller clips was a real struggle for me.  Jason drilled in to my head to keep clips down to 8 seconds.  I try to average about that, give or take.  Some clips that are interesting enough obviously go longer. I also try not to go from one first person clip to another first person clip because it’s so similar it almost comes across as the same clip.  It was hard for me to do at first but I started editing clips out of order of the day.  It pained me to do it at first because I felt it needed to be in chronological order but no one really knows anyway as long as you’re not jumping back and forth between extreme times of day. 

The only part that really seemed to drag on was the cooking part and honestly it wasn’t terrible.  It was kind of entertaining but could have been just as good shorter.

I love steeper trails.  Even though I doubt myself everytime I go on one of the steeper ones, they’re still always highlights of the ride.  Supposedly 360 cameras do a better job of showing steepness but the footage always looks slightly off to me.  One of the things I like to do is run a second GoPro somewhere else on the quad pointing in a mother direction so you can edit in other points of view.  It’s nice for breaking up the monotony of the same type of clip.  I have a video somewhere that I do this.  When riding with others it’s cool because you can get people flying up on your rear if it’s pointing backwards or chasing you through your dust.  You can get shots of your rooster tails. 

I’m surprised the media mod didn’t help more.  The most noticeable audio problems were definitely inside the truck.

Sport mode is terrible for trying to get smooth footage.  Haha.  It’s so touchy. It’s great for getting from point a to point b though.  It’s awesome if your goal is to crash in to trees.  Done that a bunch.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 08:16:15 PM »
Here’s the video I was talking about.  Two videos actually.  Vimeo never gave me any copyright issues but I know YouTube has a shit fit all the time.  But I usually trying to break video clips up at certain points of the music that make sense as well.  Or high impact moments at high impact parts of the music. It sometimes changes the length of a clip for me but it feels better. 

Anytime you see someone waiting for someone else to clear a hill, it’s because it was really steep.  This past trip to Tennessee I made the mistake twice of following someone up a steep trail only to have to back down it in reverse because we couldn’t make it.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2024, 01:45:25 PM »
I find it funny that all of my feeds and email are swamped with DJIs new mic today. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2024, 05:37:47 PM »
Man, that makes me miss my 3 wheelers!   :cry:

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2024, 06:00:20 PM »

You pretty much know what you’re doing.  It’s just a matter of dialing it all in and fine tuning everything.  Cutting the footage down to smaller clips was a real struggle for me.  Jason drilled in to my head to keep clips down to 8 seconds.  I try to average about that, give or take.  Some clips that are interesting enough obviously go longer. I also try not to go from one first person clip to another first person clip because it’s so similar it almost comes across as the same clip.  It was hard for me to do at first but I started editing clips out of order of the day.  It pained me to do it at first because I felt it needed to be in chronological order but no one really knows anyway as long as you’re not jumping back and forth between extreme times of day. 

The only part that really seemed to drag on was the cooking part and honestly it wasn’t terrible.  It was kind of entertaining but could have been just as good shorter.

I love steeper trails.  Even though I doubt myself everytime I go on one of the steeper ones, they’re still always highlights of the ride.  Supposedly 360 cameras do a better job of showing steepness but the footage always looks slightly off to me.  One of the things I like to do is run a second GoPro somewhere else on the quad pointing in a mother direction so you can edit in other points of view.  It’s nice for breaking up the monotony of the same type of clip.  I have a video somewhere that I do this.  When riding with others it’s cool because you can get people flying up on your rear if it’s pointing backwards or chasing you through your dust.  You can get shots of your rooster tails. 

I’m surprised the media mod didn’t help more.  The most noticeable audio problems were definitely inside the truck.

Sport mode is terrible for trying to get smooth footage.  Haha.  It’s so touchy. It’s great for getting from point a to point b though.  It’s awesome if your goal is to crash in to trees.  Done that a bunch.

Agreed, Everyone has their own style too it seems. I've watched way too many Vloggers and have noted some format and edit styles that cross the popular ones which I found interesting. I'm obviously not going to be a youtuber, but it would be nice to put out a few videos a year that family and friends would enjoy watching.

I totally hear you on the cooking bit, it could have been shorter for sure. Going through that section before I exported it didn't seem that long to be honest, but probably due to the amount of footage I cut, lol. I think a second and/or third perspective would have helped immensely as well.

On the list is to get a second camera and I may go with a 360 to get a sense of how all that works. I know editing is so much more effort, but you seem to automagically get more angles with a single camera. We'll see. I hope to go out for another trip if we get a warm spell in February and I'll try to mix it up a bit with the style AND hopefully no corrupt footage.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2024, 06:01:40 PM »
Man, that makes me miss my 3 wheelers!   :cry:

Can't have too many toys!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2024, 06:58:54 PM »
Ryan, you didn’t answer.  Is your windshield cracked? 

I also had to laugh at the cooking part because you did a voice over and I would feel so weirded out and uncomfortable doing that. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2024, 10:45:14 AM »
Totally forgot about that question, sorry. Yes, it is cracked in a couple places and has many chips at this point. With the gravel they put down here, it's very hard on windshields. I'll be getting a new one in the spring, but it's getting harder and harder to find someone that will install an OEM one.

Ya, the voiceover was totally awkward, but I figured it was needed.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2024, 08:10:04 PM »
One of my favorite photographers just dropped this video.  The camping and drone footage made me think of you.  He apparently got active track to work.  Haha. It looks like it worked well except for that pesky little tree branch. 

https://youtu.be/37W2cnRjdsA?si=gqYo1Zui1xzZyxhh

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2024, 11:21:09 PM »
That is pretty darn sweet. There is a Canadian dude in BC that does amazing Drone shots.

I went way down the rabbit hole with his vids when I first saw one.

https://youtu.be/yW3wfLWRs1Y?si=9P0raHDBlCB8tPeB

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2024, 01:31:22 AM »
Let's try this again. Took Friday off to get out for a ride. I was mainly focused on just enjoying the ride, but brought along the GP and the Drone to try and get some footage.

I am a little disappointed that I didn't catch the over exposure on some of the drone footage, but all well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGblEC20fok

* Recent Photos

IMG_6704.JPG

Views: 5
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal