21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Ugh!  (Read 5698 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: Ugh!
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2023, 05:38:15 AM »
Ohhhh, I really like those!! What a pain around those tires, hopefully they find them quickly.

Are you swapping to winter soon anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I generally swap to intermediates (all seasons) in late October, then full snows in late December.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2023, 06:09:45 PM »
Ohhhh, I really like those!! What a pain around those tires, hopefully they find them quickly.

I generally swap to intermediates (all seasons) in late October, then full snows in late December.
Wait, so you have nice weather tires, shit weather tires, and let’s see what the F Mother Nature decides it wants to do tires?  Is that what I’m understanding here? 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Online Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2023, 09:29:38 PM »

Wait, so you have nice weather tires, shit weather tires, and let’s see what the F Mother Nature decides it wants to do tires?  Is that what I’m understanding here? 

And you thought I was bad with tires, lol.

2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2023, 08:14:33 AM »

Not only do I have three full sets of tires and wheels for the 4Runner, but I have the same for my xB and my son's tC. Yea, it's that bad. You should see my basement. It looks like a Tire Rack warehouse.  :dunno:

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2023, 08:33:48 PM »
this was a good thread to read, sorry about the wheels and i about lost my chit when they pointed out you should be a youtuber. 

Guys think about this.  Had all of us, after the shit at F150 fell apart and all started our own YT channels, do you know how well off we would all be?   

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Online Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2023, 07:53:41 PM »
this was a good thread to read, sorry about the wheels and i about lost my chit when they pointed out you should be a youtuber. 

Guys think about this.  Had all of us, after the shit at F150 fell apart and all started our own YT channels, do you know how well off we would all be?   
I wish I would have jumped on the YT bandwagon when I started with the blue truck. Probably would have gotten a decent following if I done it right.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2023, 08:18:57 PM »

I wish I would have jumped on the YT bandwagon when I started with the blue truck. Probably would have gotten a decent following if I done it right.

You say the blue truck like you have another color one?

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Online Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2023, 10:21:11 AM »
Lol, no. Just saying I wasn’t meaning the F350 that I did a ton of stuff to

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2023, 05:22:32 PM »

You say the blue truck like you have another color one?

You mean like the white truck I used to own?  :funny:

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2023, 06:08:55 PM »
Situation Update: I finally got my tires last week. (Don't even ask what a mess that was.) Made an appointment to get them mounted and balanced at the dealership and took them in this past Tuesday. They had our best Technician (and friend of mine) do the work to make absolutely sure everything went smoothly.

I picked everything up last night after work. When I unloaded the tires when I got home, one whole set of stick-on weights fell right off one of the wheels. As it turns out, they fell off another wheel too. I texted my friend and he was absolutely appalled. He did some checking and found out that several other techs have noted problems with the latest supplier of balancing weights too. So, they went back today for more attention. Man, I can't win.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2023, 06:15:39 PM »
Situation Update: I finally got my tires last week. (Don't even ask what a mess that was.) Made an appointment to get them mounted and balanced at the dealership and took them in this past Tuesday. They had our best Technician (and friend of mine) do the work to make absolutely sure everything went smoothly.

I picked everything up last night after work. When I unloaded the tires when I got home, one whole set of stick-on weights fell right off one of the wheels. As it turns out, they fell off another wheel too. I texted my friend and he was absolutely appalled. He did some checking and found out that several other techs have noted problems with the latest supplier of balancing weights too. So, they went back today for more attention. Man, I can't win.
That’s a weird issue to have.  Maybe the guys have been lazy and slopping the wheels up with lube and that’s why it’s not sticking. Or they’re just throwing an excuse out there to not look bad again.  They typically dont just fall off. Maybe fling off but you haven’t even mounted them. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2023, 02:36:38 PM »

That’s a weird issue to have.  Maybe the guys have been lazy and slopping the wheels up with lube and that’s why it’s not sticking. Or they’re just throwing an excuse out there to not look bad again.  They typically dont just fall off. Maybe fling off but you haven’t even mounted them. 

I think it's more an issue with substandard adhesive on the weights - as backed up by another one of our Techs who I really trust. I cleaned the back sides of all the wheels with Brake Cleaner before taking them back in. The back sides are actually machined (very unusual) and sliver painted. The painted surface is actually very low friction for some reason. Couple this with what appears to be an unusually thin adhesive layer and and that might explain things.

Speaking of things, here's where we stand right now. Yea, I know, no tire dressing and the truck is dirty. It's raining. With my luck, I'll take it for a test drive and spin it out into a tree.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2023, 08:33:49 PM »
It looks great.  Even better than I expected.  What tires are hose?  I couldn’t make out the sidewall lettering. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2023, 06:41:36 AM »
It looks great.  Even better than I expected.  What tires are hose?  I couldn’t make out the sidewall lettering. 

I ended up with a set of General G-Max tires. I have the same thing - earlier version / smaller size - on the xB.

On a related note, 4Runners are notoriously sensitive to tire imbalance. The slightest bit of imbalance or excessive road force leads to a shake in the steering wheel between 58-62 MPH. The last set of tires on aftermarket wheels on the T4R had as light shake. I tested these out yesterday and they're smooth as silk. At least something went my way!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2023, 06:57:49 PM »
All cleaned up and tires dressed. Truth be told, I like these wheels better than the ones that came off. Too bad the road to getting them was so long and bumpy - not to mention expensive.

* Recent Photos

Mustang2.jpg

Views: 2
By: hwm3

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal