1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Upgraded Power Wheels  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Upgraded Power Wheels
« on: March 17, 2023, 07:32:56 PM »
We have accumulated a little collection of power wheels.  Some were hand me downs or were given to us. 

The one in the back is a true 24V from the factory with 4WD.  In front of that is a Jeep I’ve upgraded to a true 24V.  New motors, remote control module and dual batteries.  It’s fast and wreckless but can still be controlled by remote.  The jeep in front of that is stock for now with only a new battery but I have two extra batteries so I am going to add one, move them both behind the seat and make it a 24V.  No idea how long it will last but it was given to me as were the batteries.  The next green tractor is all stock but it’s pretty quick.  I’m leaving it along because Cassie’s nephew likes it and he struggles with steering still.  Now the front most green tractor in that picture, that has a dewalt 20v upgrade to it.  Cheap and easy but it’s fast now.  Real fast.  And without a huge battery up front and the extra power, it will wheelie with ease.  So today upgrade was an adjustable wheelie bar.  I haven’t run it with the wheelie bar yet.  Should work unless it breaks.  Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
Re: Upgraded Power Wheels
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 07:35:16 PM »
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 09:59:52 AM »
Pretty cool Mike! A far cry from my son's first (and only) battery powered truck that I added a working snow plow and strobe light to. To give you an idea how old this picture is, Brandon is 31 now.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 02:30:37 PM »
Pretty cool Mike! A far cry from my son's first (and only) battery powered truck that I added a working snow plow and strobe light to. To give you an idea how old this picture is, Brandon is 31 now.

That’s child labor! 

I sometimes forget how old I am.  I think 30 years ago?  That’s a great picture for 30 years old.  Then I realize that was in the 90s.  Where did time go? 

I bought the bigger jeep for my nephew when he turned 2.  It had a remote override so I thought it was perfect for his age and would get him started on the right path.  Sadly my sister never bothered with it and he was given an iPad as soon as he could use one.  This was the most complicated to upgrade because of the remote.  All the electronics had to be swapped and then anything that ran on 12V had to be reduced back down to 12V so it wouldn’t burn up.  Mainly the radio and ignition button.  But now the steering is super sensitive when using the remote.  It instant lock to lock. 

When Cassie’s niece was just about old enough, Cassie bought her the green tractor that is still stock.  She loved it even though she couldn’t reach the pedal or steer it.  We ended up not paying for it because FedEx delivered it half way up our road and just tossed it to the side at no one’s house in particular.  It was one too many packages they did that with so after multiple complaints previously, we reported it undelivered and Walmart didn’t have any more in stock to ship so a refund it was.

The big 4WD one was a Christmas present this year. It’s a beast but dies quick.  It has a working rear suspension, too.  Can be controlled through a remote. 

I run the second green tractor on a 5AH Dewalt battery.  It runs for a long time and best of all, if it dies, I swap in another one. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 05:03:49 PM »
This one might be a problem.  Haha.  I relocated and added a second battery in series to make another 24V.  Curious if the motors will burn up or not.  Probably Atleast strip the teeth on the gears.  The balance of weight is very rear biased now. It will sit on the rear bumper when parked now.  I was going to try to wrap the tires in rubber somehow for better traction but so think I better leave well enough alone. 

Now I just have to find a kid to try it out. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2023, 09:39:26 PM »
Hahaha, that’s awesome stuff!

2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2023, 03:49:43 PM »
Mike, that's awesome! Poor kid driving that John Deere Tractor has got to have really good case of whiplash.
Good enough never is

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2023, 05:58:29 PM »
Mike, that's awesome! Poor kid driving that John Deere Tractor has got to have really good case of whiplash.
Ofcourse the hardest hit was the one where he threw it in forward after reversing and naturally he was on the stone when he did it.  Because why wouldn’t he be.  I didn’t even talk him in to that one.  He picked up on tapping the pedal to get moving without flipping though pretty quickly.  I was surprised because he’s not allowed to do much without his mom ( my sister) yelling at him but she messed up and left him with me while she hosted the baby shower for my wife. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2023, 03:34:45 PM »
Cassie’s niece and nephew finally came over so her niece became my Guinea pig.  The latest modified jeep is wild.  She nearly launched it over a dirt pile but it ended up high centering.  We had the contractors here doing my bathroom and they were almost in tears watching her.  I didn’t get any of the good ones on video, sadly. 

https://youtu.be/YYcrulQ6iT8

https://youtu.be/nBggWtsiT0s

https://youtu.be/3XUmFR95BD4

https://youtu.be/HMd-A51vAec

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2023, 06:35:17 PM »
Hahahaha, that’s awesome!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2023, 05:42:32 AM »
Absolutely awesome - and hilarious!   :funny:

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2023, 07:17:23 PM »
Well I’m down two machines now.  I killed the lifted jeep when I hit a large concrete pothole and sent it airborne while trying to chase down the kids in one of the other machines.  I did catch them and managed to somehow climb up the back of it and got it stuck in the storage area behind the kids but that was the end of it.  The other jeep was killed by Cassie’s niece.  She got it stuck in the garden and thought if she just sat on the go pedal long enough it would work it’s way out.  Pretty sure she burned the motors up on that one but I think the gearboxes are intact. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2023, 10:26:10 PM »
Gotta have something to keep you busy for the next little while, lol.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
Upgraded Power Wheels
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2023, 08:06:06 PM »
The big jeep indeed stripped the teeth off of the first gear on both gear boxes.  Can’t find replacement gears in plastic or steel.  Only option is to buy complete gearboxes with motors.  They’re cheap but I wanted to upgrade rather than put the same thing back in.

The smaller jeep burned up one of the motors. Gears in the gearboxes are intact.  So I ordered two new motors.  The motors are bigger.  Chances are I chew up the first gear on this jeep too but I know I can get a hardened steel replacement.  I was going to overnight these but it was like $60.  Haha the kids can wait.

* Recent Photos

IMG_0525.JPG

Views: 2
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal