1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Backing plates and detail project  (Read 4692 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Backing plates and detail project
« on: August 18, 2022, 10:11:01 AM »
I killed two in one day.  And the third machine just didn’t seem to want to hold a pad.  They’ve all been in the same makita bag together but I haven’t touched them in ages.  The flex blew apart so I moved to the 7424XP but got aggravated that it wouldn’t hold the pads so I grabbed the makita which has a backing plate for 3” pads and it ate up the only pad I brought with me because I hadn’t intended to use it for more than touch up and tight areas.  Then for shots and giggles I tossed a 6.5” pad on it and it was going perfect, for 30 seconds, when it dismantled itself.  No pictures of that but the flex and chewed up pad there are.  I have replacements in my shopping cart at detailed image since it’s close but it sure would be nice if a lace near me had one I could pick up to use Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
Re: Backing plates and detail project
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 02:40:50 PM »
Ha, those are some old pads!

They aren’t high end pads, but I’ve seen some at autozone, Walmart and Harbor Freight.

2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 05:57:38 PM »
Ha, those are some old pads!

They aren’t high end pads, but I’ve seen some at autozone, Walmart and Harbor Freight.

I haven’t bought much of anything in years.  I had too much stuff already and living on the dirt and stone road meant never having a clean vehicle so it was mostly all purpose cleaners and interior stuff that so would buy.  So yeah, they’re old.  The old CCS pads.  Also have some of the VC pads which is what ate up the small rotary backing plate.  I figured it was a work truck in terrible shape that I was just trying to get to look nice enough to sit out in the yard for sale.  Even ate up two bars of clay.  They turned in to play dough basically and just quit working. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 07:01:40 PM »
I might have found a place local to my work.  Their website lists the backing plates.  It looks like they just opened less than two weeks ago and only 5 minutes away.  I might check them out before I order anything.

This truck sucks.  It’s a 2011 Ram 4500 crew cab with a 10’ stake body.  It was my truck when we got it but it’s had three other drivers and absolutely zero respect.  The over spray from the epoxy asphalt coatings we use is everywhere.  There are areas that are scratched down to the metal.  One of the doors had a clear epoxy sealer splashed all over the side of it.  Epoxy coating all over the running board and floor boards.  It’s bad but there is also a lot that can be cleaned up and really improved.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 08:34:56 PM »
It doesn’t look great, but not terrible for a work truck.

2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 02:13:52 PM »
It doesn’t look great, but not terrible for a work truck.

The swirls don’t appear bad but that’s because it seldom got washed.  It only gets washed on weeks where someone needs more hours in their pay and I’m the only one that ever wants more hours.  But I’m also the one that works the most hours so I do t want to clean someone else’s truck at the end of a 60 hour week.

That picture with my finger in it is not the occasional mark.  Rather  opposite.  Most of the truck looks like that. 

So I went to that new shop.  It’s like a candy shop.  I got excited about detailing again.  Then realized I was broke and it made me sad.  Bought just enough stuff on the company cars for this project which was really just a couple pads and backing plates.  They said try out the blue cut/polish compound from Rupes based on needing something aggressive as a first step so I’m going to try that.  Why not.  I should have time next week to work on it again.

In the meantime I’m trying to figure out a way, short of paint thinner (too smelly), to get rid of this epoxy from the vinyl floor. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 05:25:10 PM »
Well I grabbed the paint thinner and smelled it.  Yeah, terrible idea.  So I grabbed a rubber glove, poured some natural look in my hand and lathered the area up and let it sit for 10 minutes.  I didn’t expect it to do much on this stuff so before I wiped it I grabbed a very aggressive, very stiff, steel wire brush.  It didn’t appear to be damaging it so I went to town.  Can’t make it look worse.  A couple minutes later it looked a lot better.  I’ll repeat that again and do a few other spots of the floor. 

So after spending probably four or five hours claying, the last stretch was the hood and windshield.  Naturally the fenders got a lot of run off so the entire front end had to be wiped down.  I had started using megs 34 Final Inspection as clay lube because I had left my stash of it at the shop previously but I had almost run it out.  So I brought another old QD in and used that but stumbled across my gallon of 34 so I figured I would refill it.  Grabbed the bottle and went back to fill it, nope, wait a minute, it was the bottle of Megs #40.  But it was right where I left the 34.  But it wasn’t.  I actually had just wiped down the entire front end with vinyl and rubber cleaner and conditioner.  I didn’t even notice.  It did a great job.  I won’t do it again though.  On a side note, the reason that stuff was put was because I figured the tires are rubber and this bottle is just sitting here in the cabinet so let’s see what it does to a tire.  I didn’t read the application process and just sprayed it on figuring it had to be scrubbed and removed.  I read the bottle after spraying it on a a tire only to see you should wipe off the excess and that’s it.  So I grabbed a 4” chip brush that was on a table a few feet away and basically painted the tire with it and spread it evenly.  I can’t lie, I was pretty blown away.  The tire looked amazing.  I’ve since done them all.  But man, what a mess I’ve been lately. 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 09:28:59 PM »
I killed two in one day.  And the third machine just didn’t seem to want to hold a pad.  They’ve all been in the same makita bag together but I haven’t touched them in ages.  The flex blew apart so I moved to the 7424XP but got aggravated that it wouldn’t hold the pads so I grabbed the makita which has a backing plate for 3” pads and it ate up the only pad I brought with me because I hadn’t intended to use it for more than touch up and tight areas.  Then for shots and giggles I tossed a 6.5” pad on it and it was going perfect, for 30 seconds, when it dismantled itself.  No pictures of that but the flex and chewed up pad there are.  I have replacements in my shopping cart at detailed image since it’s close but it sure would be nice if a lace near me had one I could pick up to use Friday.

I actually appreciate this post more than you know.  I have kept this to myself but I have had almost 100% the same thing to happen to me not once but TWICE.  I set things down for a bit, and boom, backing plates blow up, spindles break, wrong adapter, Flex dried out outter felt ring, then ate the geers....upgh.   

I get it, I get it.   
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2022, 04:43:01 PM »
I mentioned I exhausted the clay I was using.  No big deal.  I already had it laying around.  But when I was at the detail store, I noticed the nano skin stuff.  I’ve seen some of you mention it before but I’ve never seen it in person.  I saw they had a mitt and they have a 6” pad for the buffer.  And in two grades as well.  The buffer pad really got my wheels turning.  Especially since I looked at my old truck at work (not the current project but the one between my current truck and the current project) and noticed it too is wrecked with overspray.  So I’m thinking ahead.  And Ive got the itch to work on my truck.  It likely won’t happen until winter when I’ll park it in the shop at work and work on it there.  You wouldn’t believe how dusty my road is right now.  You can’t go slow enough.   You’re almost better off trying to outrun the dust. 

Anyway, how well do they work and are they as safe as clay?  The idea of going at the paint with a rubber pad on a buffer kind of makes me cringe. 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2022, 10:24:21 PM »
I mentioned I exhausted the clay I was using.  No big deal.  I already had it laying around.  But when I was at the detail store, I noticed the nano skin stuff.  I’ve seen some of you mention it before but I’ve never seen it in person.  I saw they had a mitt and they have a 6” pad for the buffer.  And in two grades as well.  The buffer pad really got my wheels turning.  Especially since I looked at my old truck at work (not the current project but the one between my current truck and the current project) and noticed it too is wrecked with overspray.  So I’m thinking ahead.  And Ive got the itch to work on my truck.  It likely won’t happen until winter when I’ll park it in the shop at work and work on it there.  You wouldn’t believe how dusty my road is right now.  You can’t go slow enough.   You’re almost better off trying to outrun the dust. 

Anyway, how well do they work and are they as safe as clay?  The idea of going at the paint with a rubber pad on a buffer kind of makes me cringe. 

OK, now you got my attention again on this thread.  Here is my take on the Nano Skin for the DA/Flex etc.  It works WAY faster but i think it about 20% less effective than actual clay, depending on which clay you are using.  If it is Megs Blue, I think that is the standard go to, no questions asked.  I keep the purple and red on hand but they work.  Back to the topic, the Nano Skins are legit also but I think I must go too fast on the section.  Thanks for the reminder, I have to reorder some new ones soon, they don't last, they break down faster than a megs backing plate

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2022, 06:26:01 AM »

OK, now you got my attention again on this thread.  Here is my take on the Nano Skin for the DA/Flex etc.  It works WAY faster but i think it about 20% less effective than actual clay, depending on which clay you are using.  If it is Megs Blue, I think that is the standard go to, no questions asked.  I keep the purple and red on hand but they work.  Back to the topic, the Nano Skins are legit also but I think I must go too fast on the section.  Thanks for the reminder, I have to reorder some new ones soon, they don't last, they break down faster than a megs backing plate
They’re not exactly cheap either. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2022, 08:27:40 AM »
I mentioned my little mix up with Megs 40 vinyl and rubber cleaner.  But I said it did work great on the tires.  It wouldn’t be my normal go to product but it was on the shelf among very limited options and I figured I’d experiment.  Washing the truck did little to clean the tires.  Sprayed the megs 40 on and used a 4” chip brush to spread it around.  I wa super impressed.  They look almost brand new, off the shelf.  Just a tiny amount of sheen but almost like there is no dressing. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2022, 11:01:24 AM »
Been at it a few hours now.  I had a ton of work to do on one of the doors because of an epoxy sealer being sprayed all over it.  I have three doors and a fender compounded.  Using rupes d-a coarse cut-polish compound with a new blue lake country pad.  I like it.  Most panels are taking two passes.  Lighting is poor so I have to be a contortionist to get some direct light shining on a panel for pictures because I forgot my flashlight and my phone isnt cutting it.  I tackled that specific door with a rotary, a purple foam wool pad and much pressure.  Haha.  But it worked.  Here is basically what most of the vehicle looks like.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2022, 06:22:11 PM »
Wrapped the paint up today.  It’s not perfect but I never set out to make it perfect.  In fact, all I wanted to do was get rid of the overspray to make it look decent to sit on the corner of the road for sale.  I got carried away. 

Most of the heavy correction was with Rupes Coarse cutting compound and a Blue lake country pad.

The major splatter run marks over the lettering on the door was a major headache and time consumer.  Finally ended up using the Makita rotary and a 4” foam wool pad and the Rupes cutting compound.  It generated a lot of heat and wasn’t being kind to the lettering so I ended up taping most of the lettering off in sections to get as much as I could between it all.

Poorboys SSR1 with a white Rupes pad.  I had to buy a couple pads because Ryan made fun of my pads.  Haha

Trim was done in Poorboys Trim Restorer. 

Tires was Megs #40.

Topped with Poorboys Liquid Nattys Red.  Application and removal dont get any easier than that and it looks good.

I still have to do the chrome on the front end.  The side steps need serious work unfortunately a lot of it is asphalt epoxy on the plastic parts.  The interior needs some more work.  And I may or may not address the rockers.  I’m not even sure I can get s buffer in there properly because of how close the running boards are to the body which is actually why it looks so beat to shit in the first place, aside from carelessness of coworkers. 

Going to regroup the pictures in this post so they’re not all scattered.  All of the pictures were after a thorough wash.  For all intents and purposes, the truck was essentially “clean”.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 06:43:53 PM by Kitzy »

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2022, 06:27:18 PM »

After posting these next two, I thought, man, where did all of those scratches come from!?  I realized it’s just the ceiling and even the ones that look like obvious scratches are reflections. That’s what happens when you shove stuff in the rafters that you can’t bring yourself to throw away but will likely never use again.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 06:46:19 PM by Kitzy »

* Recent Photos

Views: 5
By: Rockpick

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal