Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Backing plates and detail project  (Read 4695 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: Backing plates and detail project
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2022, 06:32:30 PM »
Pictures didn’t do the headlights justice but you can sort of see it in the 50/50 shot if you look at the reflection of the light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2022, 11:24:19 PM »
That is one heck of an improvement. Probably the nicest work truck in a 500mile radius, lol.

2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2022, 06:24:01 AM »
Mike, That's awesome! For the longest time I didn't have any competition in the work / plow / dump truck category. And now, a worthy competitor emerges from the shadows!

Now, when are you going to get started on the rest of the fleet?  :funny:

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2022, 09:03:14 AM »
Mike, That's awesome! For the longest time I didn't have any competition in the work / plow / dump truck category. And now, a worthy competitor emerges from the shadows!

Thanks guys!

Tom, after this one, it might be sooner rather than later.  Only problem is, aside from being shiny, my boss doesn’t know what’s so different.  I showed him a before and after of the fender and he asked me what he was looking at.  So that probably means he doesn’t want to see me spend a couple days on another one.  But I have a white F450 that needs attention.  Now to convince him to pay me on the clock to do my own!

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2022, 10:59:22 AM »

Thanks guys!

Tom, after this one, it might be sooner rather than later.  Only problem is, aside from being shiny, my boss doesn’t know what’s so different.  I showed him a before and after of the fender and he asked me what he was looking at.  So that probably means he doesn’t want to see me spend a couple days on another one.  But I have a white F450 that needs attention.  Now to convince him to pay me on the clock to do my own!

Tell your boss that customers are much more impressed when a company pulls in with nice looking rigs - because it's true.

As for your truck, don't make me come down there and help you.  :om:

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2022, 05:29:24 PM »

Thanks guys!

Tell your boss that customers are much more impressed when a company pulls in with nice looking rigs - because it's true.

As for your truck, don't make me come down there and help you.  :om:
Yeah but even then, when they see my coworkers get out of it, it kind of ruins the whole look.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2022, 12:47:53 PM »
Does anyone see a reason to use a dedicated metal polish over a polish or compound made for paint?  Talking chrome here.  Not aluminum. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2022, 01:21:14 PM »
I haven’t seen as good of results using it, but it does work. Chrome is pretty resilient.

2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
Backing plates and detail project
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2022, 03:22:20 PM »
I haven’t seen as good of results using it, but it does work. Chrome is pretty resilient.

The truck has 120k miles on it.  95% highway miles so tons of pitting.  Not to mention guys just hitting stuff because they’re incredibly stupid.  One guy brushed a guard rail because he thought he had enough room to clear it while pulling a u turn.  Another guy hit the traffic paddles doing 60mph while entering a work zone on the turnpike because “the speed limit was 60mph”. I guess it was too much of a hassle to put his hazards on and slow down.  Smashed the trailer up he was pulling too. 

Clay and Obsessive Detail Metal Rx did a decent enough job though.  Major improvement. 

So next question is, what grit sandpaper do you guys use for headlights?  I don’t think I even need 600.  I think I can go right to the super fine stuff. 

« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 06:10:48 PM by Kitzy »

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
Backing plates and detail project
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2022, 06:30:52 PM »
Still messing around with the interior because it really bugs me.  I got very aggressive.  Straight Megs APC and a brass brush.  It worked surprisingly well on the panels.  I went back to the crazy stiff steel brush for the floor and touched up with the brass brush.  The floor dulled slightly but honestly, for a work truck, the slight dulling is an improvement over the red epoxy.

Edit - Tapatalk is being dimb and won’t let me upload pictures.  I’ll try again later.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 06:34:58 PM by Kitzy »

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2022, 06:48:14 PM »

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2022, 07:16:36 PM »
I never in a million years would have guessed that would work. On the other hand, I never in a million years would use any of those on an interior.
 :funny:

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2022, 07:20:38 PM »
I never in a million years would have guessed that would work. On the other hand, I never in a million years would use any of those on an interior.
Tom, I would NEVER use these on my vehicle or anyone else’s vehicle.  This was one of those situations where I really had nothing to lose by trying and everything to gain.  Worst case scenario, I scratched it which still might look better than before. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2022, 06:10:39 AM »
Tom, I would NEVER use these on my vehicle or anyone else’s vehicle.  This was one of those situations where I really had nothing to lose by trying and everything to gain.  Worst case scenario, I scratched it which still might look better than before. 

That my friend, took brass balls to try. I love it when a plan comes together!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2022, 02:17:18 PM »
Finished up the interior.  Cleaned the windows.  Dressed a few pieces of trim.  The big project was the running boards.  I wasn’t going to… and then I did anyway.  I’m done now.  I’m not touching it again.  Unless… never mind.

The chrome is scratched to hell.  I think they stepped on the chrome more than the plastic. 

* Recent Photos

DSC02899.JPG

Views: 1
By: jkilmurray

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal