* Calendar

March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Cargo Trailer Spruce Up  (Read 20265 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: Cargo Trailer Spruce Up
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2022, 06:57:59 AM »
I explained I was looking for something very durable, applied to wood, that would stand up to power sliding/throttling four wheelers in to a sideways position.

And here I was thinking KY Jelly or something. Silly me.   :funny:
Damn, I’m slipping.  I didn’t even catch that one.  I’m ashamed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2022, 11:46:57 PM »
Well dang, that went right over my head too  :funny:
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2022, 11:38:40 PM »
I explained I was looking for something very durable, applied to wood, that would stand up to power sliding/throttling four wheelers in to a sideways position.

Leave it to the newly wed to think this way..    :wow:
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2022, 07:06:11 AM »

Leave it to the newly wed to think this way..    :wow:
We could use that excuse but I got married in October. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2022, 03:10:02 PM »
Do you know the brand? I was looking at some stuff from Kiln that looked pretty good

This is the email response to my question to what they recommended for my trailer.  I explained I was looking for something very durable, applied to wood, that would stand up to power sliding/throttling four wheelers in to a sideways position. 

Dumb question, mixed with a hair brained idea.

1. Is this epoxy going to be too slick to walk on ?

2. It would require finding another way to spin ( bike spinner ?) the 4 wheelers into place, but how about truck bed liner on the floor ?
- I have this on the wood stairs to my basement for going on 20 years now, and it is working well; but I don't want to slide anything on that...
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2022, 03:24:31 PM »
Do you know the brand? I was looking at some stuff from Kiln that looked pretty good

This is the email response to my question to what they recommended for my trailer.  I explained I was looking for something very durable, applied to wood, that would stand up to power sliding/throttling four wheelers in to a sideways position. 

Dumb question, mixed with a hair brained idea.

1. Is this epoxy going to be too slick to walk on ?

2. It would require finding another way to spin ( bike spinner ?) the 4 wheelers into place, but how about truck bed liner on the floor ?
- I have this on the wood stairs to my basement for going on 20 years now, and it is working well; but I don't want to slide anything on that...
I can’t speak for Ryan but for me it’s about finding a balance between enough traction to walk on and slick enough to slide the tires.  If it’s anything like other garage floor epoxies, I think it would work just right.  It would also be super easy to sweep up, blow out, hose down or pressure wash.  This is important since I’ll 100% be bringing in a muddy machine every time I use it. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2022, 03:41:01 PM »
I’ve reached out to them to see if they will ship to Canada or have a Canadian distributor. I found a couple other options, but don’t seem quite as good.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2022, 10:39:13 PM »
Looks like they ship to Canada, but I have to apply the coating in above freezing temps. I'll probably order it up in the next couple of weeks and then see if I can borrow a friend BIG DA (floor polisher) to sand the wood before applying.

I think I have pretty close to all the wire I will need ordered up. Now I'll get some of the "small" stuff like lights, fan and switch panel to start figuring out the wiring.

After some thought, the trailer will be better with insulation, so I got a good nail puller and will see what it takes to remove a panel. I would simply do 1" foam well taped and leave it at that.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2022, 07:02:50 AM »
I’m surprised they’re nailed in.  Ever enclosed trailer I’ve ever seen has used screws. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2022, 10:05:45 AM »
Me too, I was expecting screws when I picked it up, but it wasn’t a deal breaker.

Apparently they use some special nail gun that shoots nails right into the steel supports.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2022, 10:24:14 AM »
We have had probs my 8 enclosed trailers and I’ve never seen that before.  I will say though that the screws always come loose.  The inside screws and the outside screws that hold the aluminum panels on.  My work trailer actually goes in for inspection and warranty work for that exact reason.  The outside screws come loose every day.  The front exterior panels are being ripped off and blowing in the breeze.  I actually had to pull over and duct tape them down.  Happened just months after using the trailer.  The man door is the same way.  I have to tighten in daily just so it doesn’t sag so I can open and close it and it doesn’t want to fall off.  The glue inside helps keep the wood to the walls up the screws themselves back out. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2022, 10:58:05 AM »
Maybe that is why they went this way. They tout that they are a "quality" built trailer. Who knows, but I have a feeling it's going to suck to try and get the panels off. There are no visible exterior screws on this trailer, it looks pretty clean from the outside.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2022, 11:21:43 AM »
Maybe that is why they went this way. They tout that they are a "quality" built trailer. Who knows, but I have a feeling it's going to suck to try and get the panels off. There are no visible exterior screws on this trailer, it looks pretty clean from the outside.
I’d be curious how the nails hold up.  We buy new trailers every few years.  The last couple have been a nightmare.  I doubt yours will see the road and abuse that ours see so maybe it won’t matter.  I come close to maxing mine out daily weight wise but the other crew tends to overload theirs because combined they can still barely tie their shoes.  That’s probably why they broke three leaf springs this year and two hitches last year.  Our torsion set up on previous trailers seemed a bit more durable but the leaf spring set up seems better on tires.  Far less blow outs.  The spring shackles do tend to wear out pretty fast but are an easy fix if you keep an eye on them.

Anyway, as far as the outside, my current trailer is the first one I had that doesn’t have exterior screws from the factory.  They’re just glued it seems.  I say from the factory because when we took it in for service of those front panels earlier in the year, the dealers make shift fix was to just throw screws in the side until winter.  Those screws, like all of our other trailers, just vibrated out.  Which meant more duct tape.  I can’t wait to see their final repair next week when I take it back in.  Also hope they fix the rear panel but I can’t blame that on quality control.  I got impatient in traffic at a notoriously busy toll booth in Newark and sped through a toll booth.  Didn’t know it at the time but I guess I clipped the booth on the way out and tour up the trim, brake light and panel on the driver side.  Figured it out when I got to the job and got out and saw it.  Oops. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2022, 11:33:43 AM »
Mine will see some rough roads, but I highly doubt I will ever over load it. We'll see how it holds up, because I'll be replacing the nails with screws when the wood goes back on (if I can get it off).

Hopefully this all plays out as I hope and the trailer can be usable for more than just hauling stuff around.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2022, 11:52:52 AM »
Mine will see some rough roads, but I highly doubt I will ever over load it. We'll see how it holds up, because I'll be replacing the nails with screws when the wood goes back on (if I can get it off).

Hopefully this all plays out as I hope and the trailer can be usable for more than just hauling stuff around.
Our don’t necessarily see rough roads.  All paved surfaces for the most part.  Although our roads leave a lot to be desired.  Pennsylvanias road and bridges rank either second last or dead last in the country. Go big or go home I guess.  Be so bad that no one can be worse.  Our trailers just see a lot of miles.  Roughly a thousand miles a week.  A lot of highway so a lot of vibration from the air.  That’s what I assume is the issue.  I usually have the pedal buried. Fortunately my new work truck this year only does 79mph. 

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal