1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: New toy/project  (Read 18214 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: New toy/project
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2022, 07:22:14 AM »
I found the clutch kit on the grizzly to be pretty easy.  I didn’t mess with the primary though.  I only pulled the secondary off and apart.  I did new spring, weights, I slugged the wet clutch and ultimately ended up shimming it as well to get the belt to ride a little deeper for more torque because I didn’t want to send the sheave out to be milled. The side by side gave me a bit of a hard time and that was a direct secondary swap with all new parts.  I don’t remember the problem I had though.  Probably because it was cold and dark and I was out of town when I did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2022, 10:37:16 AM »
In the end, I probably should have fond aftermarket market for the secondary at least for now.

I did the primary clutch kit so arms and spring and then also replaced all the rollers which was a pain.

The secondary got a new helix and spring. It was just a major pain to re-install. It took everything I had to compress the spring and get the bolt in to hold it on.

2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2022, 10:55:23 AM »
I was confusing primary and secondary.  I’ve only messed with the primary on all of my machines.  Like I said with my SxS, I got an entire assembled replacement.  I went with Adam at Airdam.  I have no idea if he’s still around.  I’ve been out of all of that for a while. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2022, 06:04:24 PM »
The aftermarket like STM or QSC are really good clutches. It makes zero sense to me why Can Am built them this way, other than to feed the dealer with work maybe. 

It all loaded up in the trailer, we are going to attempt to go for a ride tomorrow.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2022, 08:00:34 PM »
Well, you guys sure would have had a good laugh at my expense today!
Got a little too brave and ended up paying the price. We took the trailer and quad out to a local off road area today. The fun happened when I attempted to climb a very icy hill. I made it up the one before just fine and figured I would push my luck. Unfortunately I did not bring my chains like a smart person would!

Made it most of the way up and then stopped and then started to slide backwards. Totally jackknifed the trailer and then had to figure out what the heck I was going to do. After looking things over, I found a tree to hook the winch rope to and then used the winch to pull up and straighten out. Then pulled the bike out of the trailer. After quickly realizing the road was much of the same a head, I used the winch as an anchor while letting it out and backing down. As I couldn’t really steer against the pull of the winch, I had to use the quads winch to pull the trailer straight a couple of times.

After doing three cycles of resetting the winch cable as I went down the hill, I got to somewhere I could turn around.

I’m VERY thankful for the ADD bumper, it took the hit like a champ and didn’t flex, so the truck body was un harmed. The trailer took a sizeable dent, so I’ll have to fix that. All in all, it was a bone head move, but at least I had enough gear to get out of it by myself.

A couple nice guys controlled traffic while I took care of the mess.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2022, 08:02:03 PM »
But we did get a little ride in afterwards, which was nice.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2022, 08:05:50 PM »
Ouch, but that could have easily been a whole lot worse. At least the kids look like they had fun!

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2022, 08:32:59 PM »
It could have been worse for sure, just don’t like being a dumbass.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2022, 09:06:31 PM »
Man I’ve made so many boneheaded moves, I feel for ya.  Those moments of regret.  Looking at that actually gave me that same feeling I’ve had many times.  Just wishing I would have done something different. 

I’m glad you got out and had some fun though.  You’ll fix it and forget it soon enough. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2022, 01:05:34 PM »
Ouch, but that could have easily been a whole lot worse. At least the kids look like they had fun!
We couldn’t get Juliette off the bike. Heather had to drive her around while I aired tires back up and got things ready to leave.
They were oblivious to my stress and anxiety, so that was good, lol.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2022, 01:07:12 PM »
Man I’ve made so many boneheaded moves, I feel for ya.  Those moments of regret.  Looking at that actually gave me that same feeling I’ve had many times.  Just wishing I would have done something different. 

I’m glad you got out and had some fun though.  You’ll fix it and forget it soon enough. 

I felt like such a dumbass as soon as I realized we couldn't even stand on the road without sliding down the hill. All well, lesson learned. I'll take my lumps. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
New toy/project
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2022, 02:03:35 PM »
My nephew is frightened of anything loud.  My sister has ruined that kid.  He’s 7 and he is afraid of the go kart my dad built him.  Afraid of the four wheelers and the SxS.  He’ll ride in the SxS but only if you tell him to and he doesn’t seem all that thrilled by it.  Doesn’t care about the tractor.  Hell, me and my dad want to teach him gun safety and how to shoot but my sister wants no part of it and if he sees a gun he runs out of the room.  Give him an iPad and he’s a happy camper.  So I love seeing stuff like this.  It’s exactly what kids should be doing.  Getting outside.  Getting dirty.  Interacting with others. 

On a side note, my SxS has been sitting for a while.  Last time I moved it I had a check engine light come on.  Finally got around to looking at it.  It’s a code for a knock sensor.  Going to swap them and see what happens.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 02:09:16 PM by Kitzy »

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2022, 02:20:16 PM »
Knock sensors are pretty common from what I was told. Make sure everything is clean on the mating surfaces and sometimes they use a special silicone where the sensor mates to the head.

Maybe something for next year, but we went and had a look at the new Yamaha Wolverine RMAX 4. It checks every box we need and isn't as long as a school bus. I think having the quad and a SxS will be ideal for what we want to do.

https://youtu.be/UzPt71u6gZs

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2022, 03:11:58 PM »
Knock sensors are pretty common from what I was told. Make sure everything is clean on the mating surfaces and sometimes they use a special silicone where the sensor mates to the head.

Maybe something for next year, but we went and had a look at the new Yamaha Wolverine RMAX 4. It checks every box we need and isn't as long as a school bus. I think having the quad and a SxS will be ideal for what we want to do.

https://youtu.be/UzPt71u6gZs
The RMax are nice.  Those rear seats are awkward but seeing as you won’t be reckless with the kids it shouldn’t matter.  You’re right though.  All the others are limousines.  I’ve seen a few RMax on the trails.  Never in action though. Mainly just passed them going in other directions.  I’ve never heard anything bad about them.  Definitely not a crazy turbo model like the others have out but you can’t match Yamahas reliability. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2022, 07:58:41 PM »
For its purpose, not really worried about needing a bunch of power. Just want something that fits in the trailer with the quad, had 4 seats and reliable.

* Recent Photos

DSCN0364.JPG

Views: 3
By: GreyMichFX4

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal