March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: New toy/project  (Read 18212 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: New toy/project
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2021, 08:34:29 PM »
Wonder how well the soccer ball works.  You would think the insane amount of air in those tires would be enough.  Haha. 

Magic erasers are awesome. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2021, 07:52:43 PM »
Knocked off a few little things, so getting a little bit closer to being done.

Finished up the rear prop shaft. New U-Joints and a new wear ring. Got it and the rear diff back in.

Also managed to get the new wheel bearings in the rear swing arms. What a pain, they were super tight. The PO ran right through the brake pads, lol. Glad I got everything for the brakes to get them back up to snuff.

Next up was to start to tear into the front. I got the winch out and it was in rougher shape than I hoped. With the bike being over a 1000lbs, I know a winch is pretty essential should I get stuck somewhere. In the end there was a sale on Warn replacement “cores”, so now one is on order.

I also pulled out the front axles, which will now become spares and new ones will go back in. The front diff fluid looked pretty good and free of water. The seals were wearing a bit, so I have a new seal kit coming. The factory “Visco-Lock” front LSD is less than ideal and has to go. Torq locker will go in and I’ll have much more confidence in the mud with it.

Until more parts come in, the focus will be some cleaning and organizing. If everything comes on time, a Xmas ride should go as planned.

2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2021, 08:03:38 PM »
It’s going to be a brand new machine when you’re done.

Visco lock sucks.  I have it.  It hasn’t let me down but I also haven’t tried any extreme crawling and I generally stay out of the mud with it.  I don’t know why but I don’t trust SxSs in the mud like I do ATVs. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2021, 10:23:08 AM »
I would probably be the same way. I’m already worried about this thing being over 1000lbs and getting it stuck. I hope the locker helps for sure.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2021, 01:17:04 PM »
I would probably be the same way. I’m already worried about this thing being over 1000lbs and getting it stuck. I hope the locker helps for sure.

I really don’t think that thing will give you any issues in the mud.  I’ve been stuck in the mud plenty of times with my Grizzly but I don’t ride alone.  The two things I would change if I rode alone is I would get a winch and I would avoid mud and water holes.  Haha

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2021, 09:08:07 PM »
I fully anticipate some solo rides, so I’ll make sure I am prepared, but won’t go crazy In the mud.

I was able to get the bearings swapped in the front hubs. Waiting on stuff to get here, so some plastic and parts will get cleaned in the meantime.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2021, 09:09:56 PM »
I fully anticipate some solo rides, so I’ll make sure I am prepared, but won’t go crazy In the mud.

I was able to get the bearings swapped in the front hubs. Waiting on stuff to get here, so some plastic and parts will get cleaned in the meantime.

I recently did the wheel bearings in my grizzly.  They were so tight to get in that I bent the threaded rod on my vice. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2021, 11:25:42 PM »
Bumper get dropped off for powder coating. Sticking with the original color for a “factory” look.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2021, 08:30:48 PM »
Still waiting on the bumpers and seal kit for the front diff. Once I have those pieces, I can really start getting it back together. Some other stuff came in at least.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2021, 08:32:21 PM »
The rear drivetrain is all back in, shocks all set to a baseline for compression and rebound and fully greased.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2021, 10:05:07 PM »
Getting close!  Looking forward to hearing about the first time you get it out. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2021, 12:30:33 AM »
I decided to book tomorrow off to hopefully get  a bunch of stuff done on this thing. I still have a couple meetings I can’t miss, but should have a good solid 3-4 hours.

There is mud INSIDE the headlights. I was going to splurge on the Nuetrino lights, but decided to hold off in case this thing has any more surprises.

I rubbed around the inside a little to make the dirt stand out better for a pic. I’ve never seen this before, he must have knocked out the bulbs or something.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2021, 01:56:00 AM »
Got some stuff done today, so close, just need a few plastic parts to show up and I can wrap it up.

New winch installed with new synthetic line. I’m a little Leary to be honest about not going with steel cable, but we’ll see how it does.

The big project for the day were the headlights. What a pain in the butt. A couple of tabs for the housings were broken, so JB Weld to the rescue,

I was able to use a baby bottle brush to get the insides of the lights cleaned up pretty well and then used the heat gun to get all the moisture out. Assembly was straight forward and the new LED bulbs seem to work pretty well. I was having a little panic as the high beams wouldn’t work no matter what I did. A quick google session and it’s pretty common for the switches to fail. I was able to get it apart and free up the contact that was stuck. So now all the headlights are installed and are functional. Better than the ONE that was working when I got the bike.

Most of the front is also back together now, just the front right brake caliper and pads remain. It took a bit of messing around to get the upper ball joints tight as they kept spinning. Eventually with a little persuasion I was able to get it seated and then could tight the nut. New tie rods and axles went in perfectly.

Next up while waiting for some plastic bits to arrive will be the floor boards and front right caliper. Hopefully I can tackle them tomorrow night.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2021, 01:56:54 AM »

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2021, 05:52:57 AM »
Getting close!

Is that a picture of the headlight switch.  I have the same problem on my Maverick.  The high beam switch is bad so it takes some fussing to get them to turn on.  I don’t use them really so it’s not big deal. 

I think it’s probably fairly common for dirt to get in those light housing.  I don’t think it would take much especially with the extreme temperature swing of hitting water holes to cause those seals to let something in. 

* Recent Photos

IMG_9378.JPG

Views: 2
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal