March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Adventures of a Dealer Detailer  (Read 14631 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Adventures of a Dealer Detailer
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2021, 06:40:03 PM »
With all the awesome work you’re doing, it looks like used Rav 4s are going to be Toyota’s second best selling vehicle.  I’m sure they’re flying off the lot when you get done with them.  I’m glad I’m not in the market for a vehicle that you detail because I couldn’t afford the premium they’re bound to fetch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind words Mike! I'm coming to the conclusion that I need to have a serious conversation with some folks up the food chain on compensation. I just dread this type of conversation though.
You need us to make a call from a rival dealership to try to buy your services for a higher price?  We can create a bidding war and let your dealership “win.”

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 05:00:55 PM by Kitzy »
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline gesfour

• Café Member
Re: Adventures of a Dealer Detailer
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2021, 08:15:31 AM »
Those cars are absolutely disgusting.  How do people live like that??

A few years ago I traded in a car with a dealer I had been buying cars from for quite some time.  The sale guy called me the next day laughing because he had sent my old car to the detail shop so it could be put on the lot.  Guys looked at, brought it back around front, and told him it was already cleaner than anything new on the lot.
Having seen your cars, I can agree 100% with that. So, how about coming over any buying a Toyota next time?  :redneck:

I do like the Sequoias!  :redneck:

When I take our cars in for service these days the service advisors automatically writes "no wash" on the key tag before I'm even in the door. 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2021, 09:36:03 AM »
Man Tom, if anything you are Dr. Consistency of awesome.   

Great thread and great results.   I never understand how people use their cars as trash cans.   

JP
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2021, 10:11:27 AM »
Man, I should show you guys what the work trucks look like.  I just had this conversation with my boss yesterday.  He was pissed off because he took one of the trucks for inspection and it was trashed inside.  We have three trucks that run regularly and two are trashed.  Want to guess who drives the one that’s not?  If I remember I will take a few photos or a video tomorrow. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Online Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2021, 03:23:10 PM »
Man Tom, if anything you are Dr. Consistency of awesome.   

Great thread and great results.   I never understand how people use their cars as trash cans.   

JP

Aw, thanks JP.  :dunno:

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2021, 07:24:38 PM »
Tom, what are you doing for your clay step?  I may tackle my work truck and it will need a very aggressive claying or other method.  What is the thing to do now?  On a normal vehicle I have no issue using clay.  On this however, it feels like sandpaper even after a wash.  It gets used occasionally to transport an air powered sprayer we use to apply epoxy coatings to the asphalt which creates a lot of overspray, especially on windy days. 

Online Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2021, 08:00:54 PM »
Tom, what are you doing for your clay step?  I may tackle my work truck and it will need a very aggressive claying or other method.  What is the thing to do now?  On a normal vehicle I have no issue using clay.  On this however, it feels like sandpaper even after a wash.  It gets used occasionally to transport an air powered sprayer we use to apply epoxy coatings to the asphalt which creates a lot of overspray, especially on windy days. 

Believe it or not, I generally don't clay anything except for white vehicles at work. (Yea, let that sink in for a minute.) On white paint, I use an Iron Remover spray first, then a Nanaoskin mitt. As Boss429 (from F150 Online) taught me a long time ago, "We detailed vehicles for years before there was clay." That's just one of the corners I have to cut to hit my 3 hour average. But look at the results. Hmmm. Maybe for a work truck you can get away without it.

Here's another thought. Remember this little beauty from a few years ago? This is after washing and just before polishing. No clay step. (I did use brake cleaner to get the asphalt off though.)

Here it is after polishing and wax - with no clay step:

I rest my case.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2021, 08:03:50 PM »

Believe it or not, I generally don't clay anything except for white vehicles at work. (Yea, let that sink in for a minute.) On white paint, I use an Iron Remover spray first, then a Nanaoskin mitt. As Boss429 (from F150 Online) taught me a long time ago, "We detailed vehicles for years before there was clay." That's just one of the corners I have to cut to hit my 3 hour average. But look at the results. Hmmm. Maybe for a work truck you can get away without it.

Here's another thought. Remember this little beauty from a few years ago? This is after washing and just before polishing. No clay step. (I did use brake cleaner to get the asphalt off though.)

Here it is after polishing and wax - with no clay step:

I rest my case.
This is a factory base coat clear coat 2016 Ram.  It feels like 600 grit sandpaper after a wash.  It needs something to physically remove it.  I’m not sure how well traditional clay would work or if I’d need to get crazy with it.  It’s honestly not worth my time to get craZy on it.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
Adventures of a Dealer Detailer
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2021, 06:28:40 AM »
Those nanoskin mitts are more expensive than I thought.  Not that so care since I’lol just buy it with the company credit card.  Without researching though, what’s the proper way to use one as a clay replacement?  Some pictures show a soapy surface and I read lubricant is important.  Are people just washing with them?  It says the surface should be clean so I wouldn’t think washing with one would be a great idea.  Unless you wash it a second time.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 06:30:17 AM by Kitzy »

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2021, 11:54:36 AM »
I have to ask, how big of a truck ?

The reason : mitt or pad.

I had good luck with the 4" pad, but you need 2 qts of DQ mixed to lube ratio ready to go.
- 6" pad on the Flex got a bit unruly, depending on how far I was reaching.
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2021, 12:55:52 PM »
I have to ask, how big of a truck ?

The reason : mitt or pad.

I had good luck with the 4" pad, but you need 2 qts of DQ mixed to lube ratio ready to go.
- 6" pad on the Flex got a bit unruly, depending on how far I was reaching.
Ram 4500 crew cab.  Cab only though.  The bed is a 10’ stake body/flat bed.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2021, 02:06:15 PM »
Those nanoskin mitts are more expensive than I thought.  Not that so care since I’lol just buy it with the company credit card.  Without researching though, what’s the proper way to use one as a clay replacement?  Some pictures show a soapy surface and I read lubricant is important.  Are people just washing with them?  It says the surface should be clean so I wouldn’t think washing with one would be a great idea.  Unless you wash it a second time.

I only use the "Clay" side of my Nanoskin mitt. I have used it both with soap and QD, I prefer soap honestly, just seems to work better.

To clean it, I just rinse it off after every 3x3ish section. I do a close inspection every other panel, as sometimes Tar can get a bit stuck in it. Mines probably due for replacement by now, but done about 6-7 "bad" vehicles with it.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Online Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2021, 03:43:26 PM »

The mitts - or pads - are great. I have both to work with and prefer the mitt because it's harder to drop. I always use the mitt after a full wash.

As for lubrication, I use a very high concentration of a special car wash soap we get from a local Detailing Supply house. It's super slick and works very well. It's also a lot less expensive that a ton of QD.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2021, 09:04:36 PM »

Do you have any coarse grit clay ( old school ) ?

The cab only on that should be quick with clay and you don't have to worry about it.

I think you could get pretty good with iron remover and standard clay before starting in on it.
- Maybe 1st pass use your old pads,
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2021, 08:39:23 AM »

Do you have any coarse grit clay ( old school ) ?

The cab only on that should be quick with clay and you don't have to worry about it.

I think you could get pretty good with iron remover and standard clay before starting in on it.
- Maybe 1st pass use your old pads,
I did have a bar of more aggressive clay but I’m not sure if I still do.  Aside from the roof it would be a simple and relatively fast process.  The roof of crew cabs suck.  Maybe if my work schedule next week gives me a day off I will bring the truck home to give it a clean up.  We are hit and miss right now as the weather clears and warms up so we aren’t back 100% full time yet. 

For shits and giggles, I took this yesterday.  It’s the area between the door windows.  It’s not even the worst part of the truck. 

* Recent Photos

SR60 02

Views: 10
By: Kitzy

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal