Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Adventures of a Dealer Detailer  (Read 14655 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Adventures of a Dealer Detailer
« on: March 17, 2021, 06:21:07 PM »
You folks have probably seen my posts in my thread on 3D One where I (eventually) started talking more and more about my adventures in detailing used cars for a mid-sized new car dealership I work for. I figured it was time I just start a separate thread on that very subject so you can see what I run into on a daily basis.

So let's start off with today's disaster. We normally don't put older cars and / or cars with a lot of miles on them on our lot. But every once in a while they like to put something "value priced" out there and you can guess what that means. Today I got handed a 2015 Highlander with 128,000 miles on it. The goal? Make it look as good as possible after it had gone through the shop for mechanical work. Oh, and did I mention that the previous owner must have had a dog? How's this for a 3rd row seat floor area:

To give yo a better idea, here's the carpeted floor mats from the 2nd and 3rd rows showing before and after conditions. That's my special rubber doggie hair brush in the middle.

And here's an "after" shot of that 3rd row floor:

Was it fun? No. In fact if you remember, I'm on a flat rate plan for detailing. I'm losing my ass on this car. All I have left is the front seats and floor for tomorrow. I'll try to post pics - if I have the strength.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: Adventures of a Dealer Detailer
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 06:47:24 PM »
You folks have probably seen my posts in my thread on 3D One where I (eventually) started talking more and more about my adventures in detailing used cars for a mid-sized new car dealership I work for. I figured it was time I just start a separate thread on that very subject so you can see what I run into on a daily basis.

So let's start off with today's disaster. We normally don't put older cars and / or cars with a lot of miles on them on our lot. But every once in a while they like to put something "value priced" out there and you can guess what that means. Today I got handed a 2015 Highlander with 128,000 miles on it. The goal? Make it look as good as possible after it had gone through the shop for mechanical work. Oh, and did I mention that the previous owner must have had a dog? How's this for a 3rd row seat floor area:

To give yo a better idea, here's the carpeted floor mats from the 2nd and 3rd rows showing before and after conditions. That's my special rubber doggie hair brush in the middle.

And here's an "after" shot of that 3rd row floor:

Was it fun? No. In fact if you remember, I'm on a flat rate plan for detailing. I'm losing my ass on this car. All I have left is the front seats and floor for tomorrow. I'll try to post pics - if I have the strength.
Those after photos are so satisfying.  Haha.  Gives me the warm and fuzzies. 

I had one of those brushes.  Mine was blue.  Lost it in the move to my house some years ago.  I suspect my mom stole it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 10:11:00 PM »
Wow, that is one heck of a turn around. I  don't think I ever posted pics of my Uncles 2017 F150 that I did. Kinda reminds me of that.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 09:37:11 AM »
Oh, and did I mention that the previous owner must have had a dog? How's this for a 3rd row seat floor area:
I guess I have too much care for my items ( and reputation ) but how could someone trade in a 2015 that looked like that.
It is not off lease ( maybe 6 years old ), did not think the dealership was going to hammer them for it being filthy ?
- Maybe it has changed, and all vehicles are considered filthy...
I am not expecting front line ready out of a vehicle but there is something inbetween.

Was it fun? No. In fact if you remember, I'm on a flat rate plan for detailing. I'm losing my ass on this car.
You need to talk with them about a bump for "value priced" details.
- As in 1.75 x normal rate...
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 02:07:43 PM »
Here's today's 5 hour ordeal - I mean detail. It's a 2018 RAV4 with just over 40,000 on the clock. I can personally assure you that the interior was never, ever vacuumed or cleaned in any way. And don't even ask me what I found under the back seat. Most of it came out though.

Before:

After:

And no, whatever those spots are on the back seat, they're burned right in there, so they're not coming out.

I just hope tomorrow brings a better candidate or two.  And if you're counting, I lost my ass on this one too.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 03:05:24 PM »
Here's today's 5 hour ordeal - I mean detail. It's a 2018 RAV4 with just over 40,000 on the clock. I can personally assure you that the interior was never, ever vacuumed or cleaned in any way. And don't even ask me what I found under the back seat. Most of it came out though.

Before:

After:

And no, whatever those spots are on the back seat, they're burned right in there, so they're not coming out.

I just hope tomorrow brings a better candidate or two.  And if you're counting, I lost my ass on this one too.
What the hell is still on that back seat?  Are those holes or what?

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 04:03:48 PM »
Not holes, but damn close for the big one. Something burned half way through the fabric. I tried everything I had to get the other white spots out including my extractor. Nope, not budging.   :die:

Offline gesfour

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 08:29:10 AM »
Those cars are absolutely disgusting.  How do people live like that??

A few years ago I traded in a car with a dealer I had been buying cars from for quite some time.  The sale guy called me the next day laughing because he had sent my old car to the detail shop so it could be put on the lot.  Guys looked at, brought it back around front, and told him it was already cleaner than anything new on the lot. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 11:46:48 AM »

A few years ago I traded in a car with a dealer I had been buying cars from for quite some time.  The sale guy called me the next day laughing because he had sent my old car to the detail shop so it could be put on the lot.  Guys looked at, brought it back around front, and told him it was already cleaner than anything new on the lot.
Having seen your cars, I can agree 100% with that. So, how about coming over any buying a Toyota next time?  :redneck:

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 04:37:23 PM »

Lol, my cousin said the same thing when we brought him the X5 on Wednesday. They literally drove it over to the used car lot and parked it.

2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 05:36:09 PM »
Not everything I detail is a roach. In fact every once in a while, I get something special. The other day, a 2015 Camry rolled into my bay with only 24,000 miles on it. The thing was damn near perfect! After just under 3 hours of detailing, it looked even better. Just 4 little dents that our PDR guy easily took care of. I don't think the back seat ever had anyone sit in it. Amazing!

While I was detailing it, I kept thinking that this thing had to be a little old lady's car. Finally, when I cleaned out the glove box, I found the insurance car with the pervious owner's name on it. Think somebody with a first name like Dolores might be a little old lady? She sure know how to take care of her car!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 05:44:06 PM »
I definitely detail more RAV4's than any other vehicle. It's Toyota's best selling model, so it makes sense. That also means I get a wide variety of RAV4's from ones like that dark blue one I did earlier this week to the one I did today. The dark blue one was a 2018. So was today's detail. The dark blue one had around 40,000 miles on it. This one had almost 75,000 miles on it. The blue one was a roach. This one was amazingly well cared for. Oh, and this one was one of my favorite colors - pearl white. Think this will last long on the lot?

Oh look. That's the blue one behind it. Must be hiding.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 07:02:46 PM »
Remember the "dog hair Highlander" from a few days ago? I finally remembered to post up a shot of the finished exterior. Remember, this one's got 128,000 miles on it.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2021, 04:53:34 PM »
With all the awesome work you’re doing, it looks like used Rav 4s are going to be Toyota’s second best selling vehicle.  I’m sure they’re flying off the lot when you get done with them.  I’m glad I’m not in the market for a vehicle that you detail because I couldn’t afford the premium they’re bound to fetch.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2021, 06:33:43 PM »
With all the awesome work you’re doing, it looks like used Rav 4s are going to be Toyota’s second best selling vehicle.  I’m sure they’re flying off the lot when you get done with them.  I’m glad I’m not in the market for a vehicle that you detail because I couldn’t afford the premium they’re bound to fetch.

Thanks for the kind words Mike! I'm coming to the conclusion that I need to have a serious conversation with some folks up the food chain on compensation. I just dread this type of conversation though.

* Recent Photos

IMG_6674.JPG

Views: 4
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal