1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Mt biking video  (Read 52096 times)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Mt biking video
« on: January 17, 2021, 11:45:29 AM »
So my 12 year old son wanted to build a youtube channel.    He is calling it "Pedal with us".     This is new to me but if you get 16 min.....this is me riding some e local trails talking to a GoPro camera.     Working on this but hard to focus with work.     Check out the channel I'd you want to see the vid my kids did.   

https://youtu.be/PLPfRuen-xA

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: Mt biking video
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 01:51:29 PM »
I watched the whole thing.  It wasn’t bad at all.  Pretty cool actually.  Camera angle takes a bit to get used to.  It’s frustrating always wanting to see a little further ahead and not being able to.  That said I would invest in a chest mount.  It’s a more interesting angle as long as you have it pointed correctly.  I’m not sure which GoPro you’re using.  Judging by the stability it’s atleast a 7.  I know you’re a man with very little free time but do some research on which settings are best for the GoPro because stock GoPro profile is horrible.  Use flatter settings and fix them in post with color grading and sharpness and contrast.  Some of the light was really harsh at times.  I have links I can share from a mountain biker who is also a professional photographer who has really good explanations for the settings and color grading. 

By the way, you sounded fine.  Haha.  Not as bad as you though you did.  I’m subscribed. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 06:34:57 PM »
JP,

That was definitely cool!

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 06:48:57 PM »
I watched the whole thing.  It wasn’t bad at all.  Pretty cool actually.  Camera angle takes a bit to get used to.  It’s frustrating always wanting to see a little further ahead and not being able to.  That said I would invest in a chest mount.  It’s a more interesting angle as long as you have it pointed correctly.  I’m not sure which GoPro you’re using.  Judging by the stability it’s atleast a 7.  I know you’re a man with very little free time but do some research on which settings are best for the GoPro because stock GoPro profile is horrible.  Use flatter settings and fix them in post with color grading and sharpness and contrast.  Some of the light was really harsh at times.  I have links I can share from a mountain biker who is also a professional photographer who has really good explanations for the settings and color grading. 

By the way, you sounded fine.  Haha.  Not as bad as you though you did.  I’m subscribed. 

Thanks Mike

I am using a Hero 9 Black.   (shocker). Thanks for the info on the settings, I am not using those stock settings but i should of turned down a few things. I too have been watching "best settings" for mt bike and they vary, so I kind of picked a middle ground on several of them.  You get so many opinions and suggestions on YT you kind of have to experiment and see what works best for you. I can tell you that I am shooting in 24fps in 4K and my current mac can't process 4K so I am using my work MacBook Pro....so looks like a new mac is in my future.

I am still tinkering with settings but will get it dialed in for bright days as well as overcase.   I don't know how to fix color gradient in post yet.  I am using  iMovie and its something i am comfortable using but I don't know all the features, I need to youtube post editing color gradient vids for sure.   Thanks for subscribing, my son will be thrilled as he walks the halls at his school with followers....LOL

I am about to drop a another video shot from today.   

JP,

That was definitely cool!

Thank you so much for watching Tom.    The next video may shock some of you....keep in mind I am 48 years old. 

I will post up a link when posted. 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 06:55:37 PM »
Mike

Sorry missed a point you made.  I am using a Chin Mount for my GoPro...I do have the Chest harness but with my hydration pack, it can't use it....however, I am on the backorder list for the USWE chest harness adapter for my hydration pack.  Once that comes in, I will move the GoPro to the chest...I also have a rear facing seat mount that I am going to use from time to time to give a whole other perspective.   Gonna be fun. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 07:54:18 PM »
Mike

Sorry missed a point you made.  I am using a Chin Mount for my GoPro...I do have the Chest harness but with my hydration pack, it can't use it....however, I am on the backorder list for the USWE chest harness adapter for my hydration pack.  Once that comes in, I will move the GoPro to the chest...I also have a rear facing seat mount that I am going to use from time to time to give a whole other perspective.   Gonna be fun.
I’ve never used a specific software long enough to learn it inside and out and become comfortable with it.  That said, the latest program I used was Divinci Resolve which is free and pretty powerful.  Color grading is simple.  However, my laptop absolutely hates Hero 9 footage.  I can’t edit it at all so I am sitting on hours of quad footage I can’t do anything with and that’s only 1080/30.  I am waiting to go back to work in the spring and hopefully will be in a situation where I can get myself a Mac Book Pro with the M1 chip that’s crushing everything right now.  Mac Mini is an option but I want to be more portable so I can dump files and edit in the camper on the go.   But that new M1 chip Apple came out with is impressive.

One thing that changed how enjoyable my last videos were, Atleast to me, was running two go pros on my SxS and then one on Cassie’s helmet.  It gave a lot of variation but added a whole mess to the editing side.  I thought you might be using the 9 because the horizon was pretty locked on.  The Max Lense mod is pretty cool and will get wider with better horizon lock but I think you lose some of the resolutions.  With the Max Lense mod you can completely roll a vehicle and the horizon will remain the same but the vehicle will appear to be flipping as if the camera wasn’t mounted to it.  Disregard all of that info if you’re already familiar with it.  It might be too wide for mountain biking anyway.

By the way, my YouTube channel has been toast for ages.  I never use it.  Back when I started it, the quality was awful and was downgraded so much I couldn’t stand it and switched to Vimeo.  YouTube is much better now. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 07:55:13 PM »
One thing I wanted to mention was the 0.0 sticker I noticed.  Does that mean the same thing there that it does here? 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 08:52:19 PM »
Here are the videos that I used to help my GoPro footage.  The second video I believe shows the color grading but it’s using Divinici Resolve so while it wo t directly apply to you, it will give you an idea. 

https://youtu.be/2YEePcJZcFI

https://youtu.be/NXnBCkF9jUQ

https://youtu.be/3DoKXA8tCq0

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 11:20:28 PM »
Just dropped a new vid....this one is MUCH better.

I do need to correct my cam settings, I am using GoPro color but going to drop it down and use post production to color grade it later.   The fun really starts at 11 min in for the jump lines...keep in mind folks, I am 48 years old. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MFaWsnKGEg&t=447s

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 12:59:01 AM »
One thing I wanted to mention was the 0.0 sticker I noticed.  Does that mean the same thing there that it does here? 

Not Sure.   I have had these as part of my cars/trucks/jeeps for a long time.  Its me making fun of those that put 26.2 or 13.1 on their cars.....I've done both....but 0.0 if much funnier.   

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 08:56:10 AM »

Not Sure.   I have had these as part of my cars/trucks/jeeps for a long time.  Its me making fun of those that put 26.2 or 13.1 on their cars.....I've done both....but 0.0 if much funnier.
That’s what I thought.  It usually says “I don’t run” under it.  I hate those marathon stickers.  I don’t even know why. 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 10:57:14 AM »
Mike

do you happen to have those settings handy? 

Here is what I am using:
4K 24 fps
Lens wide
hypersmooth on
bit rate.  high
shutter auto
EV Comp.  -1.0
white balance. 4500k
iso max 6400
iso min 100
sharpness. High
color flat
raw audio off
wind off

yesterdays vids the only change, I used gopro color as on....not doing that again

will adjust for color temp based on light conditions.   

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 02:46:43 PM »
Mike

do you happen to have those settings handy? 

Here is what I am using:
4K 24 fps
Lens wide
hypersmooth on
bit rate.  high
shutter auto
EV Comp.  -1.0
white balance. 4500k
iso max 6400
iso min 100
sharpness. High
color flat
raw audio off
wind off

yesterdays vids the only change, I used gopro color as on....not doing that again

will adjust for color temp based on light conditions.
Some of that is just personal preference like 4K/24 and lens wide.  Only listing the things to change. 

White balance 5500k, 6000k if it’s really cloudy.

ISO max 3200

Sharpness low if you’re going to fix it later or medium if you are going to leave the sharpness right out of the camera

Raw audio High (beat sound and also provides separate audio track that you can play with later if you choose to)

Sorry if I was a bit late.  I was installing 5 point harnesses on the SxS.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2021, 09:32:41 AM »
yeah thanks Mike

I dropped another vid last night...i had all kinds of issues with macbook...so some of it is off.

But I did play with color and levels in post.  The light was odd yesterday, bright sun into quick deep overcast back to full sun.

Anywho, took it up a level....now I need to start scaling it back.  Would like to get these down to 10 min.

Have a look see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlZVAff3zR8

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2021, 11:13:36 AM »
yeah thanks Mike

I dropped another vid last night...i had all kinds of issues with macbook...so some of it is off.

But I did play with color and levels in post.  The light was odd yesterday, bright sun into quick deep overcast back to full sun.

Anywho, took it up a level....now I need to start scaling it back.  Would like to get these down to 10 min.

Have a look see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlZVAff3zR8
I struggle keeping my edits down to a time that first of all makes people willing to watch and then keeps them from getting tired of watching.  You being able to talk in your videos help maintain interest.  I always fee like I need to include certain things because I found them fun or interesting even though on video they don’t really come across as it did in person. 

Anything in the woods is difficult, especially this time of year with no leaves on the trees and all of that penetrating light because it creates so much contrast. 

I don’t think I mentioned it in the above comment but you can also turn the hyper smooth to Boost.  I think the way it works is it crops down on the video more with the higher the level of boost.

I’ll check the new video out in a little bit here. 

* Recent Photos

IMG_3693.JPG

Views: 1
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal