March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Removing Baked on Bug Guts  (Read 4614 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Removing Baked on Bug Guts
« on: August 22, 2020, 02:39:06 PM »
Ok boys and girls, I need some help. Part of my standard detailing process at work is to remove bug splatter from the front of vehicles as needed. I generally used a bug remover product from our local detailing supply house and it works great - usually. I've had a few vehicles as of late though where I flat out could not get the bug guts off. It appears that the previous vehicle owners just left the bug guts on to bake - for a long period of time. I've tried the bug remover, soaking with soap suds, Pro Solv, Klenzol, and even the cleaner we use under the hood. No joy.

Any suggestions?

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
Re: Removing Baked on Bug Guts
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 07:37:20 PM »
Ok boys and girls, I need some help. Part of my standard detailing process at work is to remove bug splatter from the front of vehicles as needed. I generally used a bug remover product from our local detailing supply house and it works great - usually. I've had a few vehicles as of late though where I flat out could not get the bug guts off. It appears that the previous vehicle owners just left the bug guts on to bake - for a long period of time. I've tried the bug remover, soaking with soap suds, Pro Solv, Klenzol, and even the cleaner we use under the hood. No joy.

Any suggestions?
Have you tried Poor Boys Bug Squash?  I don’t leave bugs on too long, but it always seems effective in getting them off. Sometimes though I gotta use a bug sponge for stubborn situations.

https://www.autogeek.net/best-bug-sponge.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 05:56:12 AM »

Any suggestions?
Have you tried Poor Boys Bug Squash?  I don’t leave bugs on too long, but it always seems effective in getting them off. Sometimes though I gotta use a bug sponge for stubborn situations.

https://www.autogeek.net/best-bug-sponge.html

Yes, no luck. Also tried some new 3D Bug Remover. These things are baked on.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 06:25:52 AM »
What about an iron remover?  This is just throwing sh!t at the wall and seeing what sticks. 

Tarminator?  Goo Gone? 

We just did a driveway for a customer who recently had their driveway sealed.  We masked off everything that was to remain black and did our thing.  The tape left behind a clear residue that yellowed over the following week.  My boss when back to clean the residue off and used goo gone.  Removed the residue instantly, and the driveway sealer.  New problem, but point being, it's strong stuff. 

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 07:55:46 AM »
What about an iron remover?  This is just throwing sh!t at the wall and seeing what sticks. 

Tarminator?  Goo Gone? 

We just did a driveway for a customer who recently had their driveway sealed.  We masked off everything that was to remain black and did our thing.  The tape left behind a clear residue that yellowed over the following week.  My boss when back to clean the residue off and used goo gone.  Removed the residue instantly, and the driveway sealer.  New problem, but point being, it's strong stuff. 

Hmmm, haven't tried Tarminator yet. What the heck, I've tried everything else. I'm starting to think that when the bug guts baked in over a long period of time, they etched the clear coat just like bird crap.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 08:48:34 AM »

Tarminator?  Goo Gone? 

Hmmm, haven't tried Tarminator yet. What the heck, I've tried everything else. I'm starting to think that when the bug guts baked in over a long period of time, they etched the clear coat just like bird crap.
That's always been my understanding.  Bug guts are acidic. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 11:48:01 AM »
Also, I've been using tarminator to kill lantern flies.  Seems to be somewhat affective.  I know that doesn't help your situation but thought I'd add that tid bit in anywho. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 08:10:44 PM »
I’ve had a couple situations where I had to literally polish them out, but it was usually on PPF and not paint.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 05:29:19 AM »
I’ve had a couple situations where I had to literally polish them out, but it was usually on PPF and not paint.

That was the very last thing I tried - and it didn't work either. That's why I'm thinking that leaving them on for long periods of time and letting them bake in actually etches the paint.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 07:13:52 PM »

That was the very last thing I tried - and it didn't work either. That's why I'm thinking that leaving them on for long periods of time and letting them bake in actually etches the paint.
Probably the case, I think that some are more acidic then others and could certainly cause damage.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 11:38:31 PM »
A little late here but we know bugs in Texas.....

I have had the best luck with PB BS (do not cut or dilute, use full out).   Using a Yellow Bug Sponge I get from Wash Solutions.  Their website is down at the moment but I will try and find a link. 
Similar product here:
https://www.autopia-carcare.com/pinnacle-safe-scrub.html?roductid=pinnacle-safe-scrub&channelid=FROOG&utm_source=CSEs&utm_medium=GoogleProductSearch&utm_campaign=CSE&gclid=CjwKCAjw4rf6BRAvEiwAn2Q76rBOrXtBi4klfQ_pB20zS3H6tFSfQGLbf50pQUrAPcRusXhkpqptphoCCDgQAvD_BwE

Never had an issue, if there is still something there, I clay it using Blue Megs.

Bugs and black paint....are my jam.   Soak that shit in PB BS (but don't let it dry, dwell for 1 min or 2) then scrubb with the sponge lightly with a wet bug sponge like the one posted above, they are designed not to scratch paint.   I cringe when using but to this day, haven't had any marring from them.   

« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 11:40:24 PM by Rollingrock »
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 05:28:28 AM »
A little late here but we know bugs in Texas.....

I have had the best luck with PB BS (do not cut or dilute, use full out).   Using a Yellow Bug Sponge I get from Wash Solutions.  Their website is down at the moment but I will try and find a link. 
Similar product here:
https://www.autopia-carcare.com/pinnacle-safe-scrub.html?roductid=pinnacle-safe-scrub&channelid=FROOG&utm_source=CSEs&utm_medium=GoogleProductSearch&utm_campaign=CSE&gclid=CjwKCAjw4rf6BRAvEiwAn2Q76rBOrXtBi4klfQ_pB20zS3H6tFSfQGLbf50pQUrAPcRusXhkpqptphoCCDgQAvD_BwE

Never had an issue, if there is still something there, I clay it using Blue Megs.

Bugs and black paint....are my jam.   Soak that shit in PB BS (but don't let it dry, dwell for 1 min or 2) then scrubb with the sponge lightly with a wet bug sponge like the one posted above, they are designed not to scratch paint.   I cringe when using but to this day, haven't had any marring from them.
Thanks JP!  I talked to our local detailing supply house salesman the other day and he's got one of those sponges coming for me to try.

* Recent Photos

IMG_0149.JPG

Views: 3
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal