March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: 5th Wheeler Camper guys...  (Read 25911 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: 5th Wheeler Camper guys...
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2021, 02:04:33 PM »
Mike they make the Transforce AT2 in your size and they are only about $20 a tire than what I paid for mine at Pomp's.

https://www.prioritytire.com/firestone-transforce-at2-steer-225-70r19-5-125-123l-f-12-ply-at-a-t-all-terrain-tire/

What’s your opinion on the load range being an F?  To my knowledge these came stock with H rated tires.  It SEEMS excessive but worried about the liability of going to a lesser rated tire. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it unless you are constantly bumping up against the weight limit of the truck every time you hit the road and I am guessing you are close but not quite there with the truck and trailer. I would worry about it more if you were buying no name China Bomb Tires but that's not the case with what you are doing.

Even brand name tires have issues right off the shelf. This picture was taken shortly after we replace all eight drives on one of our Boom Trucks.

Is that a sidewall bubble??

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2021, 02:48:03 PM »
Mike they make the Transforce AT2 in your size and they are only about $20 a tire than what I paid for mine at Pomp's.

https://www.prioritytire.com/firestone-transforce-at2-steer-225-70r19-5-125-123l-f-12-ply-at-a-t-all-terrain-tire/

What’s your opinion on the load range being an F?  To my knowledge these came stock with H rated tires.  It SEEMS excessive but worried about the liability of going to a lesser rated tire. 

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it unless you are constantly bumping up against the weight limit of the truck every time you hit the road and I am guessing you are close but not quite there with the truck and trailer. I would worry about it more if you were buying no name China Bomb Tires but that's not the case with what you are doing.

Even brand name tires have issues right off the shelf. This picture was taken shortly after we replace all eight drives on one of our Boom Trucks.

Is that a sidewall bubble??

Yup!And it had to be an inside tire too.
Good enough never is

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2021, 06:31:56 PM »
Camper had a bit too much sway while we were walking around in it.  Especially noticeable when you were in the bedroom and someone was walking around the camper.  It was exaggerated when we set up camp at Cassie’s family’s house in Tennessee and their driveway was on a slope.  The landing gear was extended really far and made it super wobbly.  So today’s project was a set of JT Strongarms.  It would have been smooth sailing if camping manufacturers didn’t build things half assed.  I may take a video with and without them.  There seems to be a noticeable improvement. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2021, 02:32:02 PM »
JT's work great but we found a better combination.  Wish I had scene this prior, could of saved you some money.

2 things you need.

X Chocks. and TheRock Stabilizers/.  You really can't tell if someone is walking int he camper now or if they turn over in a bed

https://www.therockrvstabilizer.com/about

I put steadyfasts on our camper b.c JT sold out to lipert or something like that....i liked the Steadfasts but the Rock's are 10X better.   

JT's are great for that they do.   Since you already have those on.   Get the King Pin Stablizers and it will tighten up any last wiggle that you get but you still need the X Chocks to keep the tires from wiggling.

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
5th Wheeler Camper guys...
« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2021, 02:54:05 PM »
JT's work great but we found a better combination.  Wish I had scene this prior, could of saved you some money.

2 things you need.

X Chocks. and TheRock Stabilizers/.  You really can't tell if someone is walking int he camper now or if they turn over in a bed

https://www.therockrvstabilizer.com/about

I put steadyfasts on our camper b.c JT sold out to lipert or something like that....i liked the Steadfasts but the Rock's are 10X better.   

JT's are great for that they do.   Since you already have those on.   Get the King Pin Stablizers and it will tighten up any last wiggle that you get but you still need the X Chocks to keep the tires from wiggling.
I have x chocks.  I’m currently in the process of modifying them so they close tighter because my axles are pretty close together and the tires on these things are pretty freakin big.  Haha.  I burned up all of my Dremel cutting wheels so I had to order more.  I think they just came actually.  Probably get back after then tomorrow after I drop my truck off at the body shop.  As they sit, I can only get the x chocks in to about the first tread block or two so they’re only seated on about half of the pads.  They stock out beyond the tires.  If the trailer is sitting on perfectly level ground, the x chocks can be forced in to the middle of the tires but how often is that the case? 

I’ve also consider a king pin tripod.  I hear mixed reviews but way more good than bad.  I am also considering adding a non-powered scissor jack to the middle.  My camper is pretty long.  The rear electric stabilizers aren’t the best design.  Their pivot points mount to close together at the center of the camper for my liking. 

All in all the camper was stable enough at the campsite (still had room for improvement) but at her family’s house with the landing gear stretched out because of the downhill slope, it was pretty bad.  Enough to make you sick and feel like the trailer landing gear was going to fold up under you.  In that situation though I don’t think any tripod would be tall enough anyway.  Tallest I’ve seen was 61”.  I do think in most instances that will be good enough. 

« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 02:59:33 PM by Kitzy »

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2021, 02:29:51 PM »
Just spent way too much time modifying one of the x chocks.  I was able to get it to close down over a quarter of an inch more.  With a dead blow hammer I am now able to tap it in past the first tread block of the tire on the tighter side.  Not that the axles are crooked but just the way it’s parked with the suspension articulating.  I can get the opposite side in with an I modified chock. 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2021, 01:44:08 PM »
That's tight.......that's what she said.....

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: March 10, 2021, 05:31:12 PM »
That's tight.......that's what she said.....

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Too tight.  I wish I could get it to close down a bit more.  I might mess with it some more but it’s painstakingly slow and annoying.  It’s trial and error.  Cut and grind a bit then close it down and see where it’s hitting.  Repeat that process a hundred times while occasionally test fitting between the tires.  So I only did one but if I need to do the other one I think I have a better idea of how to get it closer right off the bat. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2021, 01:41:01 PM »
I might have mentioned before that these f450 and 4500 trucks can ride like crap due to wheel balancing problems.  So I finally broke down and bought Centramatics.  They eliminate the need for wheel weights or beads.  They’re essentially discs with a balancing media inside of the outer ring that is constantly distributing the balancing media to the correct location of the wheel.  For $400 I’m hoping they work.  Easy install.  They just bolt on inside of the wheel.  Remove wheel, slide disc on like a wheel and put the wheel over it.  In the rear, it goes between the wheels.  The downside, they’re noisy.  Like a Maraca instrument.  But if they work, it’s a small price to pay.  The truck was unbearable at anything over 65-70, most of the time.  Sometimes it was smooth as glass.  It didn’t come from the front axle per say or cause any feedback to the steering wheel in the form of side to side shake.  The whole truck just shook.  I have to leave for work in a couple of hours so I will find out then when I hit the turnpike.  Two more nights and I’m back to days!

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2021, 03:00:39 PM »
I have seen these before and I feel like we have had this topic come up here before, these look super interesting. 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2021, 03:01:37 PM »
BTW, as for noise...have you heard my bike?   sounds like angry bees....

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2021, 03:16:24 PM »
I have seen these before and I feel like we have had this topic come up here before, these look super interesting.
I have for sure mentioned this before and possibly even showed their demonstration video of how they work and how crazy out of shape an unbalanced tire can look and get. 

Here’s the video.

https://youtu.be/ullnFQD4F1I

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2021, 03:45:14 PM »
I hope they work. I’ve tried balancing beads in tires more than once and they are very inconsistent

2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2021, 06:05:12 AM »
I hope they work. I’ve tried balancing beads in tires more than once and they are very inconsistent

My understanding with the beads is that they come in a bag.  The whole bag goes in the tire.  Once it rips open the beads can still get stuck or clump up in the bag and now distribute properly. 

When I first got on the turnpike they seemed really good.  It was a very smooth ride.  After a little time though the shake came back.  Some of it is amplified by the fact that something in my passenger door is rattling.  Some of it, I think, is the fact that I rotated the tires while I had them off.  You can’t rotate front to back on a dually so you can only go side to side.  I know how a slight wander almost like new tires have until you put a couple hundred miles on them.  I wish I wouldn’t have rotated them at the same time as the install because I’m sure some of what I’m feeling was caused by the rotate.  We will see.  I didn’t notice anything really on my drive home but I’ve also been up for almost 24 hours at this point so my mind is over it. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #119 on: May 18, 2021, 01:02:42 PM »
I haven’t done the beads in the bag, just put them in via the valve stem or poured them into the tire before mounting. I just always got inconsistent results with them.

2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal