March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: 3D One  (Read 33154 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: 3D One
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2020, 05:43:11 PM »
You think that's something?  I went to the car wash today, the touchless kind, 3/4 of the way around the first pass and the machine clips my passenger mirror and comes to a complete halt.  Dead.  I pull out and have $8 cash to get quarters to get the soap off and do a half ass job of a wash.  Meanwhile, 3 or 4 people tried to use the now non functioning touchless drive through.  One lady was storming all over the property and trying to make phone calls about it.  Oops. 

That car looks great though.  Not sure I care for the color but it sure does clean up nicely.  You're killing it lately, Tom.  You make me feel bad about the state of my truck. 

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2020, 05:43:53 AM »
I was beginning to wonder if I needed to come down to PA and organize a search party for you!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2020, 07:44:40 PM »
I was beginning to wonder if I needed to come down to PA and organize a search party for you!
I'm easy to find.  If I'm not at work then I'm at home with Cassie and my dogs, minding my own business. 

Except for now.  Now I'm in Maryland for work. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2020, 09:28:10 AM »
Sorry for the long pause. Been busy detailing and experimenting again. Here's the latest developments.

When I do a full detail at home, as you might guess, it's a little different from what I do at work. A full inside and out detail at home includes everything except under the hood. (Too many bad experiences with Ford products and coil packs shorting out.) For the exterior, you get a full clay decontamination, bug removal, iron removal, full masking off of all black textured plastic, 2 stage polishing, then the LSP of your choice. For the interior you get a full vacuum, glass and vinyl / leather cleaning & conditioning. Generally speaking, it takes me about 5-6 hours.

At work, the engine bay does get cleaned and hosed down. (Yes, you can do that with absolutely no issues on any Toyota.) Then the outside gets a full wash down before the interior gets vacuumed, the windows, seats and vinyl cleaned. For the exterior, I have a deal worked out with the Used Car Manager for what we call "Tom's Standard Cheat" when it comes to buffing / polishing. First, I take out any removable scratches and scuffs, then I do a single stage polish only from the mid-door up. I don't even to the roof on SUVs and trucks. Why? Because it saves time and money and 9 out of 10 customers wouldn't notice the difference. It also helps me hit my target time of 3 hours per vehicle. As you can see, "dealer detailing" is much different than the stuff I'm (and you're) used to and I'm doing my best to make sure I don't get lumped in with guys that have only done dealer work and think they know what they're talking about.

Here's my big challenge as of late. I need to find a polish that does it all in one pass with one kind of pad if possible. That means it needs to cut quickly, not make a mess (dusting or caking), finish up beautifully, then wipe off easily. I had high hopes for 3D One and it does all of that except come off easily. That's been enough of a problem that I no longer use it on humid days. I've actually gone back to what's left of my old bottle of Menzerna SIP. I also use M101 when dust isn't an issue, then follow up with M205 - but that's a second pass...

Yesterday I received a bottle of Menzerna 400 Heavy Cut Compound that I'd been wanting to try because I love their stuff. (Menzerna / Jescar Power Lock is my all time favorite Sealant.) You know what? This may be the ticket. It cuts amazingly well with only an Orange Lake Country CCS pad, finishes up perfectly and comes off with almost no effort. The only weird thing about it is that you'd better be holding onto the Flex. This stuff tends to steer the polisher around a whole lot more than the other stuff I've mentioned. More to follow.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2020, 07:00:24 PM »
Update time. I've been playing with the Menzerna 400 Heavy Cut Compound and it works, really, really well. I've also been playing with a new pad - the Chemical Guys Hex Logic Quantum Heavy Cut foam pads this week. As you know, I'm just working on Toyota and Lexus products, so I can't speak for how it might work on other paint, but this combination is definitely the hot ticket. You can correct like no tomorrow, generate minimum dust, not hologram and pretty much finish up with just one pad and product. Yes folks, the Holy Grail of detailing.

As a real acid test, I worked on two vehicles in particular the last two days that really allowed me to test the combination. The first was a 2020 4Runner with black (fine) metallic paint and a 10" scratch in the lower drivers door. I could just feel it with my fingernail, so I wasn't too optimistic about my ability to get it all out. Oh, and did I mention that it was the dealership owner's personal vehicle? (No pressure at all.)

It took 3 full passes, but the entire scratch came out. I'd faded the edges of the correction area and did not see any hazing with my LED sun light, but I figured I'd give the whole door a finish pass just to make sure. For that I used a White Lake Country CCS pad and Meguiar's M205. To say it came out perfect would be an understatement! The owner now calls me his "miracle man."

The next test was a dark brown metallic (almost root beer) 2016 Highlander that was sold, but had not been fully detailed. I did one complete walk around on the whole vehicle just hitting the scratches with the 400 / Hex Logic combo. I was able to correct everything in one pass. Then I did the entire vehicle with one more pass with the same combination - fully expecting to have to follow it up with a finish pass and a finer polish / pad combination. Nope, the damn thing looked stellar. See for yourself:

I think I might be onto something here.

I also tried the 400 with an Orange LC CCS pad on the 2017 RAV 4 in the picture below. One pass, one pad, virtual perfection. In fact the day after this picture was taken, I arrived at work to find the very same (lease return) vehicle on the showroom floor. Yes, it was so nice that the Sales Manager moved it inside. I don't think I've ever seen a used vehicle on our showroom floor. Nice!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2020, 07:36:54 PM »
So you're basically a celebrity now. 

That blue is something else.  I don't think I'd want to own something that color but it sure is pretty to look at.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2020, 08:16:57 PM »
So you're basically a celebrity now. 

That blue is something else.  I don't think I'd want to own something that color but it sure is pretty to look at.

Well, I don't know if "celebrity" is the right word for it. It does appear that they've never really had anybody who knew anything about detailing before though. My biggest problem now is managing expectations. They seem to think I can make anything look like new and repair any kind of defect. I've told them that I can (usually) heal the sick, but I can't raise the dead. And some of that come in on lease returns are pretty close to needing life support. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 08:30:28 AM by Too Stroked »

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2020, 11:31:10 PM »
So at this point the 3D One is relegated to the back of the cabinet ?

Have you tried an AIO for any of these less severe jobs ?
- I don't know if you have one you like.

Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2020, 05:35:29 AM »

Due to issues during humid days, the 3D One is indeed used sparingly. On less humid days, it's my first choice for addressing new car issues. (Yes, some new cars have issues caused during shipment.) The 3D One works very well with White and Orange Lake Country CCS pads and finishes out beautifully. I amazed a salesman yesterday with what it did to correct some minor blemishes in a dark blue Camry.

As for an AIO product, I've never found one I liked. Just like an "All Season" tire, too many compromises.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2020, 03:41:32 PM »

Due to issues during humid days, the 3D One is indeed used sparingly. On less humid days, it's my first choice for addressing new car issues. (Yes, some new cars have issues caused during shipment.) The 3D One works very well with White and Orange Lake Country CCS pads and finishes out beautifully. I amazed a salesman yesterday with what it did to correct some minor blemishes in a dark blue Camry.

As for an AIO product, I've never found one I liked. Just like an "All Season" tire, too many compromises.

I think I will have a chance to try 3D One this weekend, to see if it is any different than my go to with PB ProPolish over multiple pads.
- Feel & looks... it is very similar to PB PP.... :dunno:

I did not know if an AIO would be useful for what you are doing to save ( ?? ) a step.
- I also don't know if you have the step of LSP or if you are putting it out naked.

I don't know what is quick and good for an LSP.

WOWalkAway Opti-Seal is not exactly quick; it can be picky for flash over.
PL is great, but not fast ( neither is Collinite )
Beadmaker is quick but will amplify the orange peel ( think back to the 1st gen NXT ).
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2020, 05:54:39 AM »

I think I will have a chance to try 3D One this weekend, to see if it is any different than my go to with PB ProPolish over multiple pads.
- Feel & looks... it is very similar to PB PP.... :dunno:

I did not know if an AIO would be useful for what you are doing to save ( ?? ) a step.
- I also don't know if you have the step of LSP or if you are putting it out naked.

I don't know what is quick and good for an LSP.

WOWalkAway Opti-Seal is not exactly quick; it can be picky for flash over.
PL is great, but not fast ( neither is Collinite )
Beadmaker is quick but will amplify the orange peel ( think back to the 1st gen NXT ).

As much as I hate to admit it, the LSP is a simple spray wax called Snappy Shine. When I negotiated the standard detailing processes with the Sales and Service Managers, they had a time (and cost) constraint I had to deal with. My goal became to significantly up the standard for used car detailing, but be able to do the average car in 3-4 hours. Any vehicle that's in rough enough shape to need more work than that gets send out to a local detailing shop that specializes in used car detailing. That said, you'd be amazed what I can do within that time window.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2020, 09:22:47 AM »
This is a GREAT thread Tom.  Sorry, I am new here. 

I few points to bring up.   Steve, regarding PB PP.   I don't recall PP being aggressive at all, and yes it can be pad dependant but if you have to increase cut from a pad, why not use PB Master Cut or PP2?   

Saw a quick reference to Meznera SIP...I do love that stuff.   

So Tom, I have to presume that this new product is a non diminishing abrasive? 

BTW, looks like you may be come the made ready boss!!!   
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2020, 03:04:39 PM »
This is a GREAT thread Tom.  Sorry, I am new here. 

I few points to bring up.   Steve, regarding PB PP.   I don't recall PP being aggressive at all, and yes it can be pad dependant but if you have to increase cut from a pad, why not use PB Master Cut or PP2?   

Saw a quick reference to Meznera SIP...I do love that stuff.   

So Tom, I have to presume that this new product is a non diminishing abrasive? 

BTW, looks like you may be come the made ready boss!!!

JP, yes, I believe the 3D One is non-diminishing. It seems to be willing to cut for as long as you're willing to buff. Interestingly, it finishes out perfectly with no hologram problems. Amazing stuff!

BTW, since yesterday and today were relatively low humidity, I went back from the Menzerna to the 3D One. Man, what a difference! The 3D product both cuts and finishes better with the same pads as I would have used with the Menzerna. The best part is wiping off the residue though. On a day without excess humidity, the 3D wipes off way easier and leaves absolutely no dust.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2020, 06:09:24 PM »
As I mentioned in my last post, the humidity levels have gone down the last few days so I'm back to using the 3D One - and loving it. As my first example, the other day I rolled a 2012 RAV4 into my bay with very low expectations. It looked tired and it had 74,000 miles on it. I was thinking of taking a "before" picture, but quite honestly, I didn't think it would look very good with only 3 hours to detail.

Under the hood was s typical Toyota piece of cake to clean up. The interior wasn't terrible, but definitely showed some scars. The fabric covered seats needed lots of scrubbing and extraction to get to an acceptable level. The exterior was quite a challenge with marring everywhere and a good number of "special attention" areas. I used my most aggressive Hex Logic Cutting pads and the 3D One. How'd it come out? How's this?

Yesterday I got yet another 2017 RAV4 lease return. This one had a little under 40,000 miles on it and was actually quite well taken care of. The Sales Manager said he had somebody coming in to look at it and if I could do my magic, it would really help ice a sale. Once again I pulled out the 3D One and the Hex Logic Cutting pads. (It takes about 3 to do a RAV4.) How's this for a total stunner?

Oh, it sold.

One last example. Just to prove I can work on something else, here's a Honda Pilot with 38,000 miles on the clock. This one wasn't too bad and I was able to get away with an Orange LC CCS pad and the 3D One. Man, I love pearl white paint!

« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 06:16:38 PM by Too Stroked »

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2020, 05:01:34 PM »
Well guys, I punted my first one today. I started out with a couple of really nice 2017 Camry that didn't need a ton of work. I need that once in a while since what I'm essentially doing is flat rate detailing. Then I went up to the Service Manager and asked for my next vehicle. He handed me the keys to a 2017 Sienna minivan. I was a little apprehensive for several reasons. First, minivans get lots of "kid traffic" and you know what kind of a mess they can create. Second, Siennas have a lot of surface area. That means lots of opportunities to mess the paint up and lots of buffing even if the paint isn't all that bad.

Things didn't even start well. I opened the driver's door and was hit with a wave of "wet donkey ass" smell. Yup, this one spent it's life on a farm. Taking stock of the interior, the rubber mats were a mess, the carpets under them were completely stained and encrusted with salt. Every single one of the (fabric covered) seats were stained. Said another way, it was hard to find a single square inch of the interior that wasn't totally hogged. Ugh!

Oh well, time to put the head to the grindstone and start the standard process. After cleaning the engine bay and washing the outside, I started buffing. I went right to the 3D One and the Hex Logic Cutting pads. No use trying anything less aggressive. It took and hour and a half - and 4 pads - to get her looking half way decent. I also used a bunch of Poor Boy's Spray and Rinse Wheel Cleaner. (Still my absolute favorite.) So here's where we stood after 2 of my allotted 3 hours:

I then poked my head back inside, but this time used my Scangrip Sunmatch 3 LED Light to really look around. Oh lord, what a total mess! And the smell hadn't gotten any better either. Even my clothes were starting to smell like the interior from driving it into the shop. Time to punt. I went to the Sales Manager and after a quick look inside, he agreed to ship it out for the interior. Whew!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 06:02:52 AM by Too Stroked »

* Recent Photos

After

Views: 3
By: Old Dogg™

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal