The Café Detailing Help Desk > Detailing Help

3D One

(1/29) > >>

Too Stroked:
Like most of you, I have products that I use more because they work for me than because they're the latest and greatest. If I were to purchase every new product that came out and claimed to be the best, I'd have a detailing cabinet full of stuff I don't use - which of course I do. That said, my go to polishing polishes have been Meguiar's M101 Foam Cut (for heavy correction) and Meguiar's M205 (for final polishing) for the last 5 years or so. I also like Menzerna SIP for heavy correction work.

Lately, I've seen a lot of buzz about a product called 3D One and in the spirit of testing something new, I thought I'd try it. Since my new part time job as Parts Driver for a local Toyota dealership has recently expanded to include some detailing work (yes, word got out), I had a whole new reason to try something better and a limitless supply of used cars to test new products out on. So I ordered a quart a few weeks back and actually tried it out this week.

So what did I find? First of all, the ads claim you can use this product with virtually any pad and stepping up in aggressiveness (of the pad) just increases your correction ability. (Yea right, I said.) Well, they seem to be correct. After playing with different pads and amounts of product, I learned that you only need a very small amount of product and it lasts a long time. Use too much product and you'll have fun smearing it around instead of wiping it off. Get the amount right though and boy does it correct nicely. In fact I'd say that you can even finish with a white pad on the Flex - with zero dust!

I'm still playing with pad combinations and will post some pics up when I get a chance, but I wanted to get this information out there and see what you folks think.

Kitzy:
I don't read books.  Only magazines.  Magazines have pictures.  Where are the pictures? 

Kidding.  Sort of.  I need to give my truck a polish and coating so I need to start absorbing some of this info. 

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Blown F-150:
That sounds very interesting. I'll do some looking into it. Although I don't really need anything at this time, it's always cool to hear about something new.

sscully:
I had to so some reading up before asking questions, to try to sound intelligent.

The single product changing out the pad is a 'hallmark' of PB ProPolish. 
I have not had luck in removing more severe defects using PB PP and switching to an ORG pad.  Well I have, it just takes a long time.  EG: Turning a 4x4 into a 2x4 using 320 grit sandpaper.

Did you find this to be the case with 3D One ? 
Given PB PP is all chemical reaction, and 3D One has mechanical components to it.

On your test whip, did you find marring after an IPA wipe down post step down in pad change ?
Best to note if your test whip is more hard or soft paint.
I have read this, no 1st hand experience of it.
- Similar reviews say it works great on severe defects by adding scratch doctor to it... :dope:

I have been following this on Detailed Image for about 4 months, but your are the 1st level review I have seen, and it is bringing me some hope it works as advertised.

Too Stroked:
Sorry it took me so long, but here's some pics of an "exterior only" detail I did Saturday. The truck was delivered after dark Friday night - in the rain - so the "before" pics aren't all that great. That said, for a 2015 truck with just over 70,000 miles on it, the paint was in pretty decent shape. Then again, it was the color we all love to hate - black. So here's some before pics:

Since the original reason I started this thread was to discuss the use of 3D One, that's what I used to polish this truck. Since a good part of the hype about using this product is that you can use it with just about any pad, after a little experimentation I went with White Lake Country pads on the Flex run at full speed. The 3D One allowed almost a limitless number of passes and didn't seem to give up much correction ability as it went. The best part was absolutely zero dust.

How well did it work? Well, here's some shots after only one full pass followed by Menzerna / Jescar Power Lock. You be the judge.

And just to show that after all these years I can still be cheap and shameless, here's a reflecto shot:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version