Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Air Dryer....thoughts  (Read 11412 times)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Air Dryer....thoughts
« on: March 19, 2018, 01:27:29 PM »
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline sscully

• Café Member
Re: Air Dryer....thoughts
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 11:34:36 PM »
I have one of the datavac computer dusters.  It works well for getting water out of the side mirrors, fender / trunk badges, etc.

I got it a long time ago and they were cheaper ( ~ 48.00 ).

I have an antique shop vac that the motor comes off to be a leaf blower of sort if I want more, but I have only used it 2 times.
- I go with the computer duster and them S&W - Towel combo.

I don't know if this is worth 180.00 for what you get. 
If you are looking for getting water out of mirrors, go with something small like the Metro data vac or an electric leaf blower.  Even after a wash I am going to use spray and wipe sealant or S&W on the paint so I am drying the paint anyway.

My 2 cents... Actually my opinion is worth what you paid for it.. zero  :redneck:
Steve

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 11:46:28 PM »
I have one of the datavac computer dusters.  It works well for getting water out of the side mirrors, fender / trunk badges, etc.

I got it a long time ago and they were cheaper ( ~ 48.00 ).

I have an antique shop vac that the motor comes off to be a leaf blower of sort if I want more, but I have only used it 2 times.
- I go with the computer duster and them S&W - Towel combo.

I don't know if this is worth 180.00 for what you get. 
If you are looking for getting water out of mirrors, go with something small like the Metro data vac or an electric leaf blower.  Even after a wash I am going to use spray and wipe sealant or S&W on the paint so I am drying the paint anyway.

My 2 cents... Actually my opinion is worth what you paid for it.. zero  :redneck:

No your opinion is appreciated for sure.  I have also dried using the water sheet and QD combo but our water out here is just terrible so I thought about trying this method but with both our cars/trucks treated with Opti-Coat I am less concerned with touching the paint given how we also treat our MF.   

That said, I did pick up a new electric power washer today so I am going to test out the foam cannon type products in the near future and compare them to Gilmore Foam Gun.   

Just need to be home enough to test it out properly.

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline gesfour

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 06:42:40 AM »
I have had this one for years and it is very effective:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ABYVTXM/ref=psdc_15718661_t1_B01LF3FTSS

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 11:17:00 AM »
Call me old school - or just plain cheap - but I just use my Stihl Leaf Blower. Not only does it do one hell of a job on the lawn, but it kicks butt in blow drying vehicles after a wash. Although that looks like a great product for blow drying vehicles, it probably won't work for crap on leaves.

If I were to go out and buy something new right now, I'd probably get one of the new rechargeable leaf blowers.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 02:55:29 PM »
If you have nothing better to spend $150 on and you think it will help, go for it.  Why not.  I'd be curious how well it works.  However, I would think if your water leaves spots, that blowing those drops around will only leave trails or run marks.  Our water at our shop is horrible to the point that I would rather not even wash the windows. 

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 11:29:21 PM »
I like Tom's idea, leaf blower!
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 01:05:39 PM »
Any chance you have power tools that use batteries?  I have a bunch of DeWalt 20v tools and batteries.  They make a blower I am going to get for others uses but the thought had crossed my mind before about using it on the truck.  It's $80 or something like that without the battery.  I don't know what other manufacturers make but it's something to think about.

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 02:12:20 PM »
I like Tom's idea, leaf blower!

That is essentially what gesfour has in his post, an electric leaf blower.
- It is the CG's version of one.

I am guessing this is close to my rigid shop vac conversion, it is not bad for paint but it is not gas powered leaf blower speeds.

I have not tried my Stihl Kombi leaf blower on the paint, but the thing is too big to try it with.  I could see myself turning around and hitting the door with it.

I got the Kombi for the bristle brush for the turf in the back yard, the leaf blower was jsut an add on at the time.

I have a bunch of DeWalt 20v tools and batteries.  They make a blower I am going to get for others uses but the thought had crossed my mind before about using it on the truck.  ...<snip>...

Output wise, it might be on par with the Metro Vac Data vac that I have.
It is not bad for blowing out around mirrors and trim, but it is not worth the time on the paint.
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 02:16:16 PM »
You have turf in your backyard?  How well does that bristle attachment work? We have three dedicated tools like that at work for essentially power brooking black top so we don't have to use regular brooms.  Works good.thoigh I've seen it used on grass as well.  My driveway being stone tends to accumulate stone in the grass edges and I may being one home to try it.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 02:18:13 PM »
That said, I did pick up a new electric power washer today so I am going to test out the foam cannon type products in the near future and compare them to Gilmore Foam Gun.   

Just need to be home enough to test it out properly.

You are going to like that.  I use one on my antique Electric Kratcher and it is nice.
- I don't know how to compare to the Gilmore Foam Gun, as I had the pressure washer 1st.

I think you need to install the heated drying system from DRB Systems just outside the garage door and be done with it.

This way you wash the vehicle in the driveway and crank up the dryer and dry off the vehicle by pulling in the garage.
- You also can have the added plus of drying the rain off the vehicle before pulling in  :redneck:
Steve

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 02:23:14 PM »
You have turf in your backyard?  How well does that bristle attachment work?..<snip>...

We installed the turf in 2010, it is pet grass line from perfect turf.
- double the drainage of astro turf with an anti microbial treatment.

Works good on standing up the turf after having snow on it and snowblowing the back yard over the winter.  It is laying down right now, I just have to blow off the twigs and brush it back.

..<snip>... We have ...<snip>.. I've seen it used on grass as well.  My driveway being stone tends to accumulate stone in the grass edges and I may being one home to try it.

I think the bristle brush attachment I have would tear up regular grass.  Then again I have not worn down the bristles yet, they are stiff and sharp.
- Think boot scrusher on steroids
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 02:26:14 PM »
You have turf in your backyard?  How well does that bristle attachment work?..<snip>...

We installed the turf in 2010, it is pet grass line from perfect turf.
- double the drainage of astro turf with an anti microbial treatment.

Works good on standing up the turf after having snow on it and snowblowing the back yard over the winter.  It is laying down right now, I just have to blow off the twigs and brush it back.

..<snip>... We have ...<snip>.. I've seen it used on grass as well.  My driveway being stone tends to accumulate stone in the grass edges and I may being one home to try it.

I think the bristle brush attachment I have would tear up regular grass.  Then again I have not worn down the bristles yet, they are stiff and sharp.
- Think boot scrusher on steroids
Yeah I'm afraid of tearing up the grass with the ones from work. They're fairly stiff. 

Are your dogs crazy like ours?  Are yard gets destroyed from the dogs running around when it's sopping wet.  I've always joked around about turf but I'll be damned if it's not a legit option.  Haha

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 10:32:35 PM »
Yeah I'm afraid of tearing up the grass with the ones from work. They're fairly stiff.  ...<snip>...

You might want to stick with the rake.  I don't know if you could float the bristle head enough to not tear out the grass by the hand full.

...<snip>...Are your dogs crazy like ours?  Are yard gets destroyed from the dogs running around when it's sopping wet.  ...<snip>...

2 Labs and yes they can mess up a wet yard in 5 seconds flat and haul it all in the house.
The 1st winter we had them we played the wash the paw game with 8 paws on puppies.  That was all it took to replace the whole back yard in turf.

Post sod cutter removing 2.5" of grass and dirt.

After laying down landscape fabric and compacting 11,000# of crushed lime stone over the picture above.

Done ( less putting the 2 rows of wall around the tree for a ring )

...<snip>...I've always joked around about turf but I'll be damned if it's not a legit option.  Haha

Pet Grass by Perfect Turf WTF !!!
https://perfectturf.com/productcategories/pet-turf/
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 12:41:41 AM »
My dad has a Makita Blower that runs two 18v batteries. I was using it to blow snow off the vehicles and toys a couple weeks ago. Actually worked pretty good.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-208-MPH-155-CFM-18-Volt-X2-36-Volt-LXT-Lithium-Ion-Electric-Cordless-Leaf-Blower-Tool-Only-XBU01Z/205400597?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-205468529-_-205400597-_-N
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal