1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Nanoskin?  (Read 9998 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Nanoskin?
« on: March 17, 2016, 03:53:01 PM »
Ok.  Educate me here.  Seen a few things about it lately and I know Steve did a write up.  So...

Shock and Glide

Shock seems to be a cleaner, lubricator and protector in one.  I'm guessing can be used as a quick detailer as well.  Can be used with any of their pads, towels and mitts?

Glide is strictly a lubricator?  Shock minus the cleaning and protection?

Towels, Pads and Mitts

All seem to have a rubber(?) side.  All designed to replace claying.  While the mitt is also designed to be used as a regular mitt while negating the need to clay? 

I understand the fine vs medium of each.  That is self explainatory.

Am I basically gtaaping this correctly?  Am I missing anything? 

The wash mitt piques my interest but I just can't help but wonder where all the contaminants go.  I get that it does a great job of removing them but so does sandpaper.  Same goes for the pads and towel as well really.

My truck needs a SERIOUS claying so this has been on my mind.  It's also time to retire my current wash mitt.  So last two of this post...

What is everyone using now for wash mitts.  I'm still a big fan of poorboys chenille mitt.  I also have a few SM Arnold wool mitts in plastic yet. 
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
Re: Nanoskin?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 11:20:23 PM »
Don't bother with purchasing glide.  If you want just a lube, you can use ONR mixed to QD rate or use PB S&W.
- I use ONR QD ratio with the pad on the Flex, other wise I am going at it with the towel and shock.

I have only used Shock one time as a QD, other wise I am using it with the towel to get the crud off the paint.  If it is not bad, the marring is acceptable ( in the winter ).  This is after washing the paint or ONR'ing the paint.

You can use Shock or Banana Ice as a QD with a MF towel if you want to.
There are other QD with protection out there that I think are better, but that is an opinion.  I find Shock and more so Banana Ice great in the winter when I want to hit the paint with some additional protection.  I would say it is good until the 1st time it gets pelted with salt, then it is gone.

I would not say the mitt is to replace a wash mitt.  Still need to follow the process of wash then "clay".
I am sure some will think you can combo wash and clay into a single step.  I am not that person.

The towel, mitt and pad all need to be cleaned against a grit guard or wash board at the same interval as folding clay. 
This, for me, is once or twice per panel I am hitting it on the dirt dropper wash board and then into a clean water bucket before going back to the paint.
- I could be overboard on this, but I find it works and it is still quicker than folding clay.

I use the PB chenille mitt on the lower panel. 

I have a wool mitt from DI that I use on the upper sides of the panels. 
Makes keeping the mitts straight easier to me.
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 11:46:25 PM »
I am with Steve, I won't use the Nanoskin "Wash Mitt" as a actual wash mitt. To be honest, I bought it as it was a cheaper option than the towel. I washed with a Meguiar's MF wash mitt and like it.

I used the grit guard in my rinse bucket followed by a hose rinse to clean the nanoskin mitt twice per panel. Used ONR as my lube. It went really fast.

As for where the contaminants go with the Nanoskin; there are pores in the rubberized coating that seem to "absorb" the contaminants. I really tried to listen carefully as I was going at it and there wasn't any apparent "Marring" taking place. I also inspected a couple of areas with my RUPES light and nothing stood out as new or extra marring.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 09:33:03 AM »
I'm not a big fan of lube specific products.  So I would never get glide.  And honestly, the last thing I need is another QD at all unless it's some new type of magic QD that changes the game.  I can't really say I'm sold on any of this stuff.  Steve seems to think it induced some marring, which everything does to an extent.  And it seems like a pain to keep clean.  I can knead clay in no time.  And I clay as part of the drying process (not all the time and I still use a QD) so all in all, to clay and dry, takes me like 20 minutes to do my crew cab.  If I could use the mitt as a wash mitt to eliminate the need to clay after then it'd be worth it. 

I was mainly trying to wrap my head around the nanoskin system/products.  And it went hand in hand with looking for a new wash mitt.  Two birds, one stone and all.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 09:34:49 AM »
Holy crap....a detail discussion.    :funny:
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 11:00:59 AM »
And the elusive RR showed himself.  Crazy day here.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 12:32:23 PM »
And the elusive RR showed himself.  Crazy day here.

What next, RockPick? Nah.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 12:56:20 PM »
I'm not a big fan of lube specific products.  So I would never get glide.  And honestly, the last thing I need is another QD at all unless it's some new type of magic QD that changes the game.  I can't really say I'm sold on any of this stuff.  Steve seems to think it induced some marring, which everything does to an extent.  And it seems like a pain to keep clean.  I can knead clay in no time.  And I clay as part of the drying process (not all the time and I still use a QD) so all in all, to clay and dry, takes me like 20 minutes to do my crew cab.  If I could use the mitt as a wash mitt to eliminate the need to clay after then it'd be worth it. 

I was mainly trying to wrap my head around the nanoskin system/products.  And it went hand in hand with looking for a new wash mitt.  Two birds, one stone and all.

I can't say that I have 100% paint to begin with at the moment. So any additional marring that may have been caused by the mitt, wasn't apparent. I like the Nanoskin for a couple of other reasons too. Drop it? No biggie, rinse it off and away you go! Very Large surface area, I think this is why it works so much faster.

I will be giving the truck it's "Big" detail and try to get the paint at least to 90%. After that, it will be easier to see any marring induced by the Nanskin mitt. I'm more curious than anything about it, so always open to it being a bust. After it's first use though, I'm impressed.

I do like clay more for removing road tar though, seems to do a better job of it.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 01:20:09 PM »
....<snip>... Steve seems to think it induced some marring, which everything does to an extent. ....<snip>...

Exactly.  Any time you "clay" the paint, you need to do some kind of polish if you are trying to keep 95% or better paint.
I use it in the winter after ONR ( ONR creates marring even with 2 bucket and ONR QD ratio soak down ) and it cleans the paint right up in record time. 
ONR in the winter is even creating marring, with the salt on the paint, it is not avoidable. 
Which is worse, leaving salt to sit on the paint until a day ( month or more ) it can be washed or ONR it ?
I don't keep my daily drivers at 95% or better.  Best I can hope for between salt & brine season ( with the beat juice deactivation spray down ) and construction season is 80 to 85%.

....<snip>... And it seems like a pain to keep clean.  ....<snip>...
If this is hard, then keeping a wash mitt clean  is hard. 
It is the same exact process as a wash mitt for towel, pad or mitt.

....<snip>... I can knead clay in no time.  And I clay as part of the drying process (not all the time and I still use a QD) so all in all, to clay and dry, takes me like 20 minutes to do my crew cab. ....<snip>...
If that is the time with clay, it will take 10 to 15 min with the towel. Also if you drop it, no need to toss it in the garbage.  You can do the same exact process you do with clay, assuming you keep enough lube on the paint.
- How may here have not dropped a new clay on the floor after the 1st half panel on a detail ?

....<snip>... And it went hand in hand with looking for a new wash mitt.  Two birds, one stone and all.

If that was all you are after, just asking that question is all that is needed.  The answer : No QED. :clap:
Steve

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 01:22:13 PM »

We try to every now and then...  It is a watch and gun forum with a detail sub forum.
- Wait, do I have that backwards......No I got it right. :redneck:
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 03:32:21 PM »
I have never had any noticeable clay induced marring.  Ever.  Now maybe I'm just blind or its because I don't typically keep my paint in perfect condition.  My paint does however stay in pretty good shape... surprisingly.  One thing that had always struck me as odd is I see what everyone elses clay looks like after one panel.  My clay hardly ever shows anything other than a few specks.  Unless I get into a piece of trim where the paint and trim meet.  Like side moldings. 

By the way, for road tar, a quick shot or two of Stoners Tarminator is hard to beat.  My girlfriend had a big wad of grease, like bearing grease, somehow stuck to the side of her  car.  I soaked it in APC+ 4:1 and it didn't budge it.  I hit it with tarminator and it took 80% of it off with just a hose.  Second shot took it off 100%.  Never had to touch it with a towel which would have been towel murder.  I love tarminator. 

Oh, and by the way, I have never dropped a clay bar!  👍

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 04:53:52 PM »

I can see that streak coming to an end real soon - now that you've mentioned it.  :om:

As for me, I got the first drop in on my very first experience with clay. I don't like to waste much time.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 06:36:41 PM »

I can see that streak coming to an end real soon - now that you've mentioned it.  :om:

As for me, I got the first drop in on my very first experience with clay. I don't like to waste much time.

Do you know who that is?  That's Jinx.  Now stop that!

I may have Steve send me some Poorboys World clay.  He has his custom made.  I've held it before and its interests me. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 06:38:27 PM by Kitzy »

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2016, 11:18:28 PM »
I still like the Megs Blue Clay but I also have nano skins, I like them for speed but I still like clay, it comes down to my mood and how much time I have. 

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 08:48:56 AM »
Megs blue is what I usually use.  Sticks like no other to my hand though.  Maybe that's why I don't drop it.

* Recent Photos

IMG_2047.JPG

Views: 1
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal