March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Slowly breaking everything - 2014 F-150  (Read 358429 times)

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
Re: Slowly breaking everything - 2014 F-150
« Reply #690 on: January 14, 2019, 02:38:51 AM »
Got the winch back in, everything worked out just like I planned, which is pretty awesome. Super happy that the truck is getting back to a 100% state.

And I think the truck was finally worthy of a new decal
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #691 on: January 14, 2019, 08:02:36 AM »
Awesome, man.  So what's left?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #692 on: January 14, 2019, 10:27:58 AM »
The truck is getting a Wheel Balance and alignment right now. NEVER use balancing beads, they just don't work well.

I need to get the fuel return system completed, which will hopefully be this weekend. I'll do that at the same time as the new painted valve covers. Then we can really get into tuning.

Truck has to go to the body shop to get fixed up and the new bumper installed. Probably going to wait a while on that though. I want to get the tuning sorted out first.

Other than that, it's just messing with the set up of the bed rack again. I bought some better mounts for the QuickFist Clamps to hold the shovel and ax a little more securely.

I also got the Skid plates back on last night. Just waiting on the T-Case Skid until I get the return system in.

Things are coming together!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #693 on: January 14, 2019, 04:29:48 PM »
The truck is getting a Wheel Balance and alignment right now. NEVER use balancing beads, they just don't work well.

I looked into balancing beads several times and eventually found out that they just don't work with wide / low profile tires. They work great in (big rig) truck tires, but they're classic narrow / tall sidewall affairs. Bummer, because I'd really like to get away from either hammer on weights that mess up your wheel finish or stick on weights that fall off.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #694 on: January 14, 2019, 05:58:54 PM »

I looked into balancing beads several times and eventually found out that they just don't work with wide / low profile tires. They work great in (big rig) truck tires, but they're classic narrow / tall sidewall affairs. Bummer, because I'd really like to get away from either hammer on weights that mess up your wheel finish or stick on weights that fall off.

I've tried them twice now with no luck. Sometimes it was a smooth ride, sometimes it wasn't.

I've had pretty good luck with the stick on weights. Usually though, I will clean the barrels of the wheels really well before bring them in for a balance.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #695 on: January 14, 2019, 10:09:43 PM »
The tire tech was pretty impressed when I told him I did the alignment with a tape measure and a level. I was very close!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #696 on: January 15, 2019, 07:51:05 AM »
The tire tech was pretty impressed when I told him I did the alignment with a tape measure and a level. I was very close!

That's really impressive!

I spent days doing the SxS.  Levels, tape measures, string lines... It handled better but who  the hell knows if it's right. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #697 on: January 15, 2019, 08:54:07 AM »
Back on the road for travel, so nothing going to happen until the weekend, ugh.

I ordered up a tailgate seal to try and keep dust out of the bed, we'll see if it actually works. The quick connect fitting I needed to attach the last Catch can line showed up yesterday, but I ordered the wrong one! All well, right one is on the way and at only $10, it's not a massive mistake.

I took some time yesterday to give the interior a clean up, as it was a bit dusty. I think if the weather is decent, I'll do a quick walk-around video and post on Youtube. Sure would be cool if I had a Drone to do some aerial shots  :uugly:

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #698 on: January 15, 2019, 09:11:55 AM »
Back on the road for travel, so nothing going to happen until the weekend, ugh.

I ordered up a tailgate seal to try and keep dust out of the bed, we'll see if it actually works. The quick connect fitting I needed to attach the last Catch can line showed up yesterday, but I ordered the wrong one! All well, right one is on the way and at only $10, it's not a massive mistake.

I took some time yesterday to give the interior a clean up, as it was a bit dusty. I think if the weather is decent, I'll do a quick walk-around video and post on Youtube. Sure would be cool if I had a Drone to do some aerial shots  :uugly:
I never put the tailgate seal on when I had a tonneau.  I never felt like I needed it.  Even in the current house on the dirt road.  Sure can't hurt though.

I've been eyeing up a mobile gimbal.  That's what you need for cool shots of the truck.  Been trying to decide on which one I want.  Slight thread derail here (it's been a while since the last derail).  I was looking at the Smooth-4 but saw a big multi gimbal review where the footage was shakey, defeating the purpose of the gimbal.  Think I might go with the DJI Osmo Mobile 2.  Biggest gripe I see is it feels cheap and doesn't have a trigger.  They do cool things though like time lapse and if you use the tripod mount to attach a pole you can raise the camera up pretty high over something like the truck.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #699 on: January 17, 2019, 12:55:05 AM »
I was curious about the gimbal. Almost seems like a need for a few different types of shots.

My box seems to fill up with dust from gravel roads, I hope the seal really knocks it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Robby32

• Café Member
« Reply #700 on: January 17, 2019, 09:44:21 AM »
I used the one-sided foam tape that is used to seal box rails to topper. Put it on the sides of the box where the tailgate closes. Works good for me - But I'm not on gravel roads very often. Cheap fix. Hope the seal you are getting works.

:cheers:

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #701 on: January 17, 2019, 11:37:00 PM »
I used the one-sided foam tape that is used to seal box rails to topper. Put it on the sides of the box where the tailgate closes. Works good for me - But I'm not on gravel roads very often. Cheap fix. Hope the seal you are getting works.

:cheers:

It was pretty cheap @$20. I figured I would give it a shot as it would be nice to keep the bed a bit cleaner with all the stuff on the racks.

We’ll see how it actually helps.

Offline Robby32

• Café Member
« Reply #702 on: January 18, 2019, 11:33:01 AM »
I just used the excess that was left over after putting on the topper.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #703 on: January 18, 2019, 09:07:55 PM »
It's the weekend.  Get to work on the truck.  Haha

My DJI Osmo Mobile 2 gimbal showed up today.  100% dead battery. It's taking forever to charge.  You may have noticed but I'm super inpatient so maybe it seems longer than it is.  Haven't even been able to turn it on yet

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #704 on: January 18, 2019, 11:19:20 PM »
It's the weekend.  Get to work on the truck.  Haha

My DJI Osmo Mobile 2 gimbal showed up today.  100% dead battery. It's taking forever to charge.  You may have noticed but I'm super inpatient so maybe it seems longer than it is.  Haven't even been able to turn it on yet

Tailgate seal didn’t show up, but I have everything I need to get the fuel return system done. It’s the boys Birthday tomorrow, so I’m not too sure how much I’ll actually get done.

I may just take Monday off to get it all done.

I also need to get these on.

I’m looking forward to seeing how your Gimbal works out. You gonna fly tomorrow?

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal