Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Slowly breaking everything - 2014 F-150  (Read 358713 times)

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
Re: Slowly breaking everything - 2014 F-150
« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2016, 05:08:02 PM »
2" blocks showed up and I think I'll go another route. I ordered a Pro-Comp AAL kit that waiting for me to pick-up. Fox Shocks will be here tomorrow too.

I pulled the Raptor's from storage and started polishing. Just to clean them up a bit, I'm using M105 and a Power Ball (the small one). They are coming out pretty good for winter wheels and once all done, I'll hit them with Opti-Coat 2.0.

I'm still going to have to find the funds, but I've decided on doing a set of Nitto Ridge Grapplers on the Raptors. Likely 285/70r17's. If they aren't too much heavier, I may go up to the 75 series. The truck will have a big Xmas road trip again this year, so I'll start on some winter prep in the coming weeks.

2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2016, 07:16:55 PM »
Hadn't heard of the ridge grapplers before.  Not a bad looking tire. 
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2016, 11:01:50 PM »
They seem to fit what I'm looking for and come in a "C" rating.

I installed the Add a leaf and Fox 2.0's in the rear today. Photobucket is down, so I'll get the pics up in the morning. Lifted the rear more than I would like, so I'll do some measuring and see if it makes sense to pull the stock blocks out.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: November 05, 2016, 07:04:46 AM »
Were you specifically looking for a C rated tire?  I've never seen anyone look for a C on purpose.  I'm genuinely curious what the reason is.  It seems most people that don't need more than a C don't really care if it ends up being a D or even an E.  They just get whatever they like and will work. 

Any chance the AAL will settle a bit?  I suppose you could always add the blocks back in if it does.

My truck rides like a tank so I am always considering upgrading new shocks but I suspect it's the crazy hard tires because tbays when the ride seemed to change. 
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #124 on: November 06, 2016, 12:08:09 AM »
Nothing really special about the C rating other than saving some weight. Of all the tires I looked at the Nitto's are pretty much the only ones I liked that came in at a decent weight. 285/70/17's are 54lbs each. KO2's (E rating only) in the same size are almost 10 lbs heavier. I noticed a difference adding the 10lbs when I went to the 20's and don't want to make it too much worse on performance. The also do a C in the 285/75/17 which is nice and would put me close to a 34" tire.

You can get Toyo AT II's in a P rating and they are light, but I would much prefer to run the Extremes like yours and I had on the F350. The regular ones just don't do it for me.

I still have to get a pic of the truck showing the rake, but I was able to do some measuring. The rear is a full 2.5" higher than the rear and it was dead-even before. So I think pulling the blocks is the right thing to do as the rear should still be 1.25" higher than the rear after I pull them. It's easy enough to do and reverse if needed.

Here are some pics of the install. Completely forgot to take a pic before I put the tires back on. All in all, a bit of cursing but straight forward install.

Took it for a bit of a ride today. The ride is certainly stiffer, but in a good way. It really highlights that the fronts need to be done too. I may have to put the fronts on before I think about tires.

The goods

Ready for disassembly

Shocks in

AAL installed

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: November 06, 2016, 01:26:45 PM »
I suspected that was the reason for the C rating as I've shopped by tire weight before.  Give difference in performance and mileage. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2016, 01:23:34 AM »
The rake was way too much for me. Actually measured 2 3/4" higher in the rear. I pulled it apart and took out the 1 1/4" OEM block. Sits bang on where I want it now.

Whew, glad that's done with. Major PITA to drop the axle without a lift.

Sorry, it was dark, so these are really crappy pics. I try and get some better ones if it stops raining.

Blocks in, then out

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2016, 09:14:48 PM »
Better without blocks anyway.  Those pictures do suck though.  Haha.  Sorry.  I do really like your truck though.  Look forward to more pictures when you get a chance. 

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #128 on: November 07, 2016, 11:46:13 PM »
I suspected that was the reason for the C rating as I've shopped by tire weight before.  Give difference in performance and mileage.

How much performance and millage delta is there really by adding 20% to the weight of the tires ?
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2016, 04:37:41 PM »
Better without blocks anyway.  Those pictures do suck though.  Haha.  Sorry.  I do really like your truck though.  Look forward to more pictures when you get a chance.

Lol. The problem is now I drive to work in the dark and drive home in the dark. My garage has crap lighting. I will get some pics up this weekend or maybe even on Friday since it's a holiday here.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #130 on: November 08, 2016, 04:44:30 PM »

How much performance and millage delta is there really by adding 20% to the weight of the tires ?

I found a difference in acceleration, braking and mpg (be it only be 1 mpg) difference going from the OEM 18's to the NBS OEM 20's. Combo was pretty much 10lbs heavier on each corner.

If I have no need for an E rated tire, I will try to find one that I like that is lighter. They are generally cheaper with the added bonus of less weight. I like the KO2's overall, but they are quite heavy. When you start running 65lb tires, you're spinning 100lbs at each corner with wheels. It all adds up in the end and I want to keep the weight down if possible.

If they had more aggressive tread in a P-Metric tire, I would consider it. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: November 08, 2016, 06:24:11 PM »
I've had similar results with wheel and tire changes.  I don't rememeber the numbers but they  were significant.  Back when I had my expedition and I went to a larger heavier tire on the same stock wheels my acceleration fell off quite a bit.  Brakes would fade faster as they had to work harder and got hotter.  Mileage dropped 3 mpg I think.  Evenually went to a shorter but wider (still bigger than stock) street/AT tire and picked some of that back up.  Thats why your high end cars use magnesium and carbon fiber when money isn't an issue.  It makes a difference.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2016, 06:25:45 PM »

Lol. The problem is now I drive to work in the dark and drive home in the dark. My garage has crap lighting. I will get some pics up this weekend or maybe even on Friday since it's a holiday here.
I know the feeling.  Except it's like that most of the year.  Haha.  Even worse if you count the fact that I go right to the gym from work. 

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #133 on: November 09, 2016, 01:19:32 PM »
I found a difference in acceleration, braking and mpg (be it only be 1 mpg) difference going from the OEM 18's to the NBS OEM 20's. Combo was pretty much 10lbs heavier on each corner. ...<snip>...
I've had similar results with wheel and tire changes.  I don't rememeber the numbers but they  were significant. ....<snip>....

So we are talking about SOTP dyno numbers EG: It feels slower.
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: November 09, 2016, 01:24:54 PM »
Seat of the pants is the beat judge on a daily driver.  What else matters.  But braking is equally if not more important and its always nice to have more mpg.  In the end, it makes a difference.  Unlike a lot of intakes or exhausts that technically on a dyno adds a few hp/tq but you can't even tell.  SOTP FTW 

* Recent Photos

DSC_0014.JPG

Views: 2
By: attworth

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal