March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Slowly breaking everything - 2014 F-150  (Read 358384 times)

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
Slowly breaking everything - 2014 F-150
« on: April 28, 2015, 11:43:02 PM »
I had hoped to have at least 50 pictures and 5 threads of the new truck posted up by now, but life happened. :uugly:

I haven't even properly washed it yet as I have been on the road for the last two weeks. When I returned, my level kit was waiting patiently for me, so I decided to get in done yesterday after work. pretty straight-forward job with no surprises. I ended up doing a 2" level on the front and leaving the rear stock. I have blocks that would raise the rear 1.5" from where it sits now, but I figure that would give it too much rake for my liking. I'll have to set up an appointment to get it re-aligned as I am sure it needs it.

Before and after the level in the same spot (although, it isn't level ground).

Here is an after on more level ground

Once it was bounced over a few speed bumps, the front has seemed to settle down about a 1/4" since the pics.

Tomorrow I hope to get the door sills polished out and then hit with sealant or maybe Opti-Coat 2.0 so I can get the 3M done this weekend.

Short term plans
 - Plasti-dip the F150 emblems flat black
 - Remove the Ecoboost Emblems and install a 2015 one on the tailgate (on order)
 - Remove the Fx4 decals from the box
 - Spray rear wheel wells with box liner, I don't like them being blue
 - Complete detail with polish and protection
 - Tonneau cover
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
Re: Slowly breaking everything - 2014 F-150
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 07:31:25 AM »
what cover are you looking at?  I need to grab one for my truck, and can't decide what I want to do.
================

Doug

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 10:17:32 AM »
what cover are you looking at?  I need to grab one for my truck, and can't decide what I want to do.

The 2010 had a Access roll up cover which I thought was pretty good and seemed to hold up well to 5 or so years of use. The only thing I noticed was the buckles on top of the cover had faded. I have been told that this has been fixed on the newer covers.

The only other one I was thinking about was the truxedo Lo Pro. A buddy has just got it and said it is nice. I have to see it in person for myself before making any choices.

Because of the access I often need to the box and the preferred look, I will be going with a roll up cover.

I hope to decide on one in the next couple of months.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 07:50:37 PM »
Looks good.   Any wheels and tires in the future?   

I have an access limited edition tonneau or something like that.   I like it.   I was going to get the lower profile one but decided not to and am glad.   While the inch or so in heigh doesn't seem like much,  I've packed my bed to the max on numerous occasions.   

Also,  I hated having painted wheel wells.   My truck looks way better with the plastic liners.

Tapatalkin...

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 11:57:23 PM »
Looks good.   Any wheels and tires in the future?   

I have an access limited edition tonneau or something like that.   I like it.   I was going to get the lower profile one but decided not to and am glad.   While the inch or so in heigh doesn't seem like much,  I've packed my bed to the max on numerous occasions.   

Also,  I hated having painted wheel wells.   My truck looks way better with the plastic liners.

Tapatalkin...

I hope to get wheels and tires sometime in the future, but probably won't be for a while unless there is a steal on Craigslist or something.

I agree that the higher Tonnaeu has it's merits, but haven't decided on which one till I see all in person. I'm leaning toward the Lo-pro ones as I like the look and really don't put a bunch of stuff in the bed anymore. But who knows, the regular ones don't seem to intrude into the bed as much.  :dunno:

Plastic liners may be the way I go too, just started looking into them. Not sure on cost, but a rattle can of box liner is only $7  :uugly:

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 12:10:19 AM »
Started another project today. I wanted to get 3M on the bottom of the door sills to help keep them from getting scuffed up. I already managed to scuff up the drivers side while biking last weekend.  :moody:

I picked up a roll of 4" standard 3M Scotchgard clear film. One roll is about enough to do two doors.

Since I scratched up the drivers side, I first polished out the scratches with a orange LCC 4" pad on the PC with M105 (yes 105, not 101). Then it was followed by M205 on a white LCC 4" to get the shine back into it. I wiped it down with iso and then got to work.

I trimmed the piece to fit and rounded off the corners for less chance of peel up. I used a soap solution and sprayed down the film and painted surfaces. Using a vinyl working tool, I worked from the center out after getting it in place and lined up.

It isn't that great of an application as I was unable to get all of the bubbles worked out. I will probably re-do once I get a technique down. I went out and bought the recommended soap and may wax the other side to help allow the solution to be worked out easier and reduce the chance of bubbles.

onto the proof!

Before

After the 105

A scratch that is just too deep

After 205

Trimmed edge

Edge of vinyl against the paint

The lighter colors you see in the pic are just reflections, it actually is very hard to see the edge in person. I had to feel for it to find it easily.

Onto the passenger side tomorrow!

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 12:39:49 PM »
Nice.  Where did you pick up the 3M stuff?

I think I am going to go with a hard cover, since the wife is now driving the truck.   Better security for her, and I can always pull it if I need to haul something. 
================

Doug

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 03:57:17 PM »
Nice.  Where did you pick up the 3M stuff?

I think I am going to go with a hard cover, since the wife is now driving the truck.   Better security for her, and I can always pull it if I need to haul something.

I picked it up at a local auto parts store. They carry it in their paint shop dept. I get a bit of a price break, so it was cheaper than online. I'll get the 3m part number and post it up. Great stuff that is easy to work with. My cousin was told that a product called "Duraflex" was better, but I haven't looked into it at all.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 04:50:24 PM »
I made some good progress on the Truck over the Weekend. It looks much better now in my opinion (and that's the one that matters...) :uugly:

The main goal was to get the paint all taken care of and protected.

I hit the coin wash to use the high pressure hose to rinse off whatever I could. Next up was a two-bucket with Meg's Gold class. I clayed with optimum clay and ONR @ QD ratio. Lots of fine brown stuff (like rail dust) came off the hood, roof and arches. Not so much came off the doors, bed sides, etc.

The FX4, EcoBoost and dealer decals were removed

There were a couple of spots that needed a bit of remediation. I hit them with M101 on a 4" White LCC pad.

The wheels had some grease marker and some sort of adhesive residue on them. I just used a cheap MF with M105 and it all came right off.

I hit the whole truck with a 6" green Super Buff pad with M205 on the Rupes Bigfoot. It was a light pass, just to ensure the paint was thoroughly cleaned prior to sealant. It also seemed to knock a bit more clarity into the paint overall, I could see a difference.

At the last minute, I decided to hit the F150 emblems with Flexi-Dip (Plastic-Dip's cheap Canadian Cousin). So I taped off, using generous amounts of paper and then hit them with 7-8 coats of the stuff. It seems to work just as well as Plasti-dip, so that's good.

LSP was Menzerna Power Lock. I prefer to apply by hand with a foam applicator. Easy on, easy off. Beautiful slick finish and the metal flake pops nicely in the sun. I did hit all the door jams, tailgate jams, hood jams, pretty much any painted surface.

Wheels were treated with Poor Boys Wheel Sealant.

All the window trim, bed caps, bumper trim was hit with Meguiar's Interior/Exterior Protectant. I really like how it dries and holds up to rain. The fender flares, running boards and mud flaps were hit with HD @ 4:1.

Some pics

I was so excited, that I had to bust out a brand new wash mitt

Clay after a 2 square Ft. chuck of the hood.

Tape job for the Flexi-Dip and product

Stuff on the wheels

Afters

Solid sun shot

I still plan on using Opti-Coat on the roof, but I'll leave the Power Lock there for now.

Next up is hopefully my custom FX4 and EcoBoost badges show up.

I think I will just spray the Wheel wells for now until I have budget for plastic liners. Bike rack and tonnaeu cover are priority.

If you guys have any suggestions for new-car prep, please let me know. I hope to tackle the underside with fluid film this weekend.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 04:54:26 PM by Blown F-150 »

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 07:36:07 PM »
Nice looking truck - and it keeps looking better and better!

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 03:06:22 PM »
A couple of goodies showed up in the mail today

A full interior LED light swap kit and my custom Ecoboost decals.

I am looking for thoughts on the placement of the decals. I was thinking either back in the original location or just one on the tailgate in the bottom right-hand corner.

What do you guys think?

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 05:51:45 PM »
I like the decals.   Not sure what I'd do with them though.   Maybe on the side of the bed back by the tail lights.   Up high near the very top.   Near the fx4 sticker but higher.   Was it the Harleys that used to have that?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 09:46:55 PM by Kitzy »
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 01:13:55 PM »
Looking good man, those rear wheel wells got some pop!! 
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 12:06:05 AM »
Well I decided to put the new decals where the old emblems were. I have another set and may move them, but i like it for now.

Now I just wait for the FX4 decals, should be here in the next couple of days.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 12:23:42 AM »
That looks really sharp man.   That paint looks sick in that light

BTW, do you need to update your signature?   LOL

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

* Recent Photos

IMG_2489.JPG

Views: 1
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal