1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: 52" single row light bar install  (Read 42191 times)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: 52" single row light bar install
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2013, 03:07:32 PM »
So you don't think the video is showing true light output?  Camera possibly dumbing it down?  Judging by what he's actually saying, it doesn't seem he's overly thrilled by them.  At that cost it may be  after to go with a swap to something where HIDs can be installed.  Those truck lites sure do look pretty though.

No doubt the camera was shutting down, I can tell you that when I turn on my light bar and what the camera sees are two very different things.    It reminds me when I was shoot video of the space shuttle launch...the rockets are so bright the camera lens closes down...
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2013, 05:15:54 PM »
I'd like to swap my heads and fogs to HIDs and add a light bar to the grille.  Still unsure on the girlfriends jeep.  Thinking maybe the same now. 
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2013, 07:07:59 PM »
I'd like to swap my heads and fogs to HIDs and add a light bar to the grille.  Still unsure on the girlfriends jeep.  Thinking maybe the same now.

A light bar in the grill, why didn't I think of that!  :redneck:

On a more serious note, be carful on simply swapping HIDs in place of your current halogens. Although you can buy the kits, most of them just lead to a ton of glare for oncoming drivers. You really need to do a projector conversion in order to make HIDs work properly.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2013, 07:11:30 PM »
Yeah I know.  Id be curious as to how bad it would be.  I get high beamed so as it is with the stock lights.  The stock high beams are ridiculous.  I have looked at the Spyder projectors though.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2013, 07:15:09 PM »
Anybody notice Tom still has no pictures of his light in action???

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2013, 08:43:52 PM »
Anybody notice Tom still has no pictures of his light in action???

Who is tom

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2013, 08:52:42 PM »
Guilty as charged. My plan was to do the final aiming then take some pics this weekend. So here I sit with a Lake Snow Advisory in effect all around me and the temperature has rapidly dropped into the low 20's on the way to the teens. The roads are a sheet of ice because apparently nobody was ready with their municipal snow removal equipment. Oh, and my buddy just called and put me on notice that I might have to do a salt run at 3 AM tomorrow. Translation: You'll all just have to wait a bit longer.
 :nana:

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2013, 11:22:52 PM »
So you don't think the video is showing true light output?  Camera possibly dumbing it down?  Judging by what he's actually saying, it doesn't seem he's overly thrilled by them.  At that cost it may be  after to go with a swap to something where HIDs can be installed.  Those truck lites sure do look pretty though.

No doubt the camera was shutting down, I can tell you that when I turn on my light bar and what the camera sees are two very different things.    It reminds me when I was shoot video of the space shuttle launch...the rockets are so bright the camera lens closes down...

That is what I was getting at. 
As far his verbal description, hard to say., that is subjective.
Don't know when the last time he had his SOTP / SOTE lumen meter calibrated.
- That is why I said it could be raptor doing the review...

This is why I have a lumen meter to be able to see if there is a delta, not make subjective descriptions that are hard to tell.

The 52" on the jeep at the ranch, that one you can tell is bright as all get out, the way the lighting changed up close. :wow:
Steve

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2013, 11:48:20 PM »
Yeah I know.  Id be curious as to how bad it would be.  I get high beamed so as it is with the stock lights.  The stock high beams are ridiculous.  I have looked at the Spyder projectors though.

The Spyder projectors are not made to do HID PnP swaps with.
- wrong projector type in them, still made for halogen.

Don't know if you have enough room behind that headlamp to hang the remainder of the retro projector in there.  Seems like there is not enough room in the lamp itself ( at least with the size the Cibe / Hella conversions ).

Rallylights.com has a conversation kit for the jeep, it costs a bit but is a Hella HID lamp and the mounts.
http://www.rallylights.com/all/lights/headlamps/90mm-bi-xenon-high-low-headlamp-kit-for-replacement-of-factory-h13-2007-jeep-jk-wrangler-headlamps.html
- These are the guys out of PA that I got the conversion parts for dad's RV.
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2013, 10:16:52 AM »
Those things are stupid expensive and they look goofy.  The Spyders I was talking about would be for my Silverado.   But from what you are saying they're still not right for HIDs. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 10:19:08 AM by Kitzy »

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2013, 11:08:21 AM »
Good set of HID housings and the bulbs and ballasts along with the mounting cost.
- There is quite a bit tied up in the Hella HID lo / hi in that kit, those are about 450.00 each side when purchased for standard 90mm mounting.

Looks, got no argument from me. :wow:

for the Silverado, I doubt you are going to find HID projectors that are not retro fits.
- Do not recall seeing that as a factory option, maybe something in the Cadi line works ??

The Spyder projectors are halogen projector housings.  You can do them for halogen bulbs, but if you stuff HID bulbs in them, you are still going to have glare machines on the front of the truck.
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2013, 12:43:44 PM »
So maybe the Silverado just gets a light bar since the stock heads are so awesome to begin with.  And just like that we've come full circle and back to the beginning.  Maybe some HID fogs though in 3k for bad weather.  I liked that setup on my Mustang.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2013, 01:10:31 PM »
For the Silverado , if you liked the setup the Stang, that would be a 1:1 in my book.
- if you found a setup you like, stick with it.

I was stuck on the Jeep mod.
- Think you might still want to look at the Cibe / Hella bowl change and Osram Nightbreaker H4s in it with a relay direct to the battery in 12 AWG.  The E Code bowls get good reviews.  I did Cibe on Dad's back in 2001, but those were Wagner Halogen 7" bulbs in it ( old school bulbs like 72 firebirds and jeeps back to the 40s/50s )

If I had a greenfield install, I would not be look at the Truck-Lite LEDs either.
I have an issue with finding a black grille that I would like to add in the LED bar like Tom did
- maybe still no pictures..some crying about working or the likes  :redneck:
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2013, 04:52:35 PM »
Laugh all you want buddy. Just hope you're not coming down the road with your high beams on and run into me coming the other way.  :redneck:

I do swear to post up picks as soon as I can. It's about 20 degrees and snowing right now. And yes, I did 4 hours in the salt truck this morning.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2013, 05:19:20 PM »
Laugh all you want buddy. Just hope you're not coming down the road with your high beams on and run into me coming the other way.  :redneck:..<snip>...
I don't do that.  I am not old enough to start forgetting things  :redneck:

Seriously, I am the high beam Nazi.  The moment I start to see a glow over the top of the hill, I shut them down.  Some times it is a truck stop, and just the parking lot lights.
I am not a fan of when people do it to me, and the recovering catholic in me says don't do it to them.

..<snip>...I do swear to post up picks as soon as I can. It's about 20 degrees and snowing right now. And yes, I did 4 hours in the salt truck this morning.

Crap, how fun was that working last night ?

You are getting the weather we had a few days ago.  Last night it was 15* when I was driving home at 6:00 PM.  Think the overnight low was 10 or 7. Warming up in the high 20s, time to get the shorts back out  :slow:
Steve

* Recent Photos

9.jpg

Views: 2
By: jkilmurray

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal