April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
[28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: 52" single row light bar install  (Read 42221 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: 52" single row light bar install
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2013, 08:41:42 AM »
I was thinking of getting TruckLite headlights for the girlfriends Jeep.  They are pricey though. 
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2013, 09:04:30 AM »
A pair of them are the same price as the SR52 that RR has.

I'd have that price and the price of a new grille to get there.
- Now if it is the same results or not; is another story.

Kitzy - If this blows up on me, do you want to try it ?
- I was going to try the one in Dad's RV, to see if he liked it, but I can ship it to you over the winter if you want to try is for a bit to see if you want to go that route. 
The Itasca RV is 4 round lamps, interior are high beam only, outboard are H4 Lo & Hi. ( 4 lamps lit on high beam ).

I have a plan B for this mod, if it went ass over tea kettle on me, but if you want to get in on it for a bit, that is fine with me.
- Dad is not going to have the RV out of storage until FEB at the earliest.
Steve

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2013, 09:15:55 AM »
A pair of them are the same price as the SR52 that RR has.

I'd have that price and the price of a new grille to get there.
- Now if it is the same results or not; is another story.

Kitzy - If this blows up on me, do you want to try it ?
- I was going to try the one in Dad's RV, to see if he liked it, but I can ship it to you over the winter if you want to try is for a bit to see if you want to go that route. 
The Itasca RV is 4 round lamps, interior are high beam only, outboard are H4 Lo & Hi. ( 4 lamps lit on high beam ).

I have a plan B for this mod, if it went ass over tea kettle on me, but if you want to get in on it for a bit, that is fine with me.
- Dad is not going to have the RV out of storage until FEB at the earliest.

I don't think you want a 52" heck a smaller one on the front of your gill would be way more than enough.

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2013, 09:40:03 AM »
I don't think you want a 52" heck a smaller one on the front of your gill would be way more than enough.

I was only using your "sticker shock" comment with what you paid vs the cost of the LED headlamps.

The SR30 that Tom got is $140.00 less ( and less lumen output ), and I would need a new grille to do that.
- Without the grille replacement, at best right now I could only get a SR14 in there.

Right now I am 2 H1 SS bulbs in Hella Rallye 4000 series off road lamps.  Don't know how that would compare to the SR30 mounted lower and behind the grille. :dunno:
- Once I get a LED headlamp in there, I will lumen meter it and see where I am at before and after.
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2013, 01:04:25 PM »
Steve, I appreciate the offer.  Truck Lite makes a direct replacement for Jeep TJs.  And they look nice too.

http://m.quadratec.com/products/product.php?pid=97009+8001
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 01:06:41 PM by Kitzy »
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2013, 06:32:39 PM »
Steve, I appreciate the offer.  Truck Lite makes a direct replacement for Jeep TJs.  And they look nice too.

http://m.quadratec.com/products/product.php?pid=97009+8001

That is the one for the jeeps, H1 Hummers, early 70s 911s, Dad's 2001 Itasca RV, etc.  Same one I ordered

Jeep is just still using the 7" / 6.75" round bulb from when we were kids, and they were sealed beam bulbs, prior to halogen version.  I did the Cibe 7" conversion to H4 & H1 on Dad's RV.
- Truck-Lite makes the 5"x7" replacement also.

Nothing special about jeep, Truck-Lite just knows to put this in the description for marketing reasons.

H1 With them installed :

sorry they are just old school 7" / 6.75" round lamps from back in the day, nothing jeep specific about the Truck-Lite or GE night hawk LED version.

EDIT : Quadratec's site makes note of this at the bottom
Drop-in replacement for #6014, 6015, 6016, H6024 and Par 56 headlamp designs
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 06:35:50 PM by sscully »
Steve

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2013, 08:40:43 PM »
for the price I would take the light bar, 21,600 lumens is hard to beat at that price point.

I like the Truck Lite's the JW's are just stupid.    I suspect that if you wait, another China version will find its way to ebay etc.

I was considering the Truck Lites but after watching a review of them on youtube the lighting looks really rough.  That said, the stock jeep lights totally blow, they always have.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2013, 10:26:25 PM »
The major gripe from the truck lites I have read are they project a giant x. 

Steve, are you saying the truck lite light that you have is the same as those I linked?  Do you mind linking the one you have?

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2013, 10:36:04 PM »

Steve, are you saying the truck lite light that you have is the same as those I linked?  Do you mind linking the one you have?

by the x are you talking about this review?

Truck-Lite 27270C 7" Round LED Headlight Review and Demo

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2013, 12:53:12 AM »

This is the one I ordered from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007K8AA7I/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=12305JEHS4D71&coliid=I346Q3X0XILPT6

Truck-Lite has the 6.75 / 7 round and the 5x7 in LED.
Same versions as GE night Hawk.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 12:54:44 AM by sscully »
Steve

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2013, 12:56:19 AM »

This is the one I ordered from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007K8AA7I/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=12305JEHS4D71&coliid=I346Q3X0XILPT6

Truck-Lite has the 6.75 / 7 round and the 5x7 in LED.
Same versions as GE night Hawk.

Steve, I'd like to get your report on these, I am willing to shell out to get better headlights, the stock ones are junk.   If this are really plug and play I am ready to pull the trigger on em.   I don't care for the high beam function...I have the light bar if I need the sun.   

But geez, these have to be better than stock   

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2013, 01:35:04 AM »
Steve, I'd like to get your report on these, I am willing to shell out to get better headlights, the stock ones are junk.   If this are really plug and play I am ready to pull the trigger on em.   I don't care for the high beam function...I have the light bar if I need the sun.   

But geez, these have to be better than stock

It just left FL today, FedEx does not have an ETA yet ( has not made it to a sorting location,  last scan was the local sub station ).  See what I get for an update SAT / MON to know how long it is going take around the holiday.

Prior to it showing up, I need to find time to get the lumen meter on the zXe H1 bulbs I have in the rallye 4000 lamps that are in there ( those are new bulbs this week, the SS were a bit long in the tooth ).

Once I get it I will see if the lamp can be mounted in the Rallye housing and go from there.
- If I can mount it, I can get lumen output same as the zXe bulbs.

If not I have time before I try it on the RV, it can make a trip through TX if you guys are nice with it.

This had to be cheaper than trying the Hella Rallye 4000 LED, those are ~ 500.00 / side  :wow:

Not to talk you out of doing something cool, but is the issue with the jeep lighting the bulb selection or the reflector ?
I would not think it is the bulb, I have the same bulb in my 2006, and it is not as bad as jeep owners make it seem.

Maybe another option for you ( that will be cheaper ) is changing the factory lamp to the Hella or Cibe H4 reflector bowls ?
http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-002395801-Halogen-Conversion-Headlamp/dp/B001G72SKQ/ref=pd_sbs_auto_29

This way you can go with the your brand preference ( SilverStar, etc ) or Euro OSRAM  night breaker plus H4s.  If you go this route, make sure you cut out any choke point with the wiring / method of turning the lamps on in the truck itself ( solid state method ? ).  I did relays with 12 AWG automotive wire on the RV and when I installed the OSRAM  bulbs on the ZG, I used the thin as hair factory wiring to trigger a relay to 12 AWG wire.  Dropped the AMP draw and upped the lumen output on those bulbs.

You might also want to look at the Truke-Lite 4" LED driving lamps to replace your factory ones.
I mounted a set of the PIAA 5370 LED fog lamps on the RV, and they are impressive little units for 3.5".
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2013, 08:41:46 AM »

Hmm, none of those upgrades look all that great.  To answer you question though, no, that is not the review I was referring to.  It was from quite a few people commenting on a jeep forum.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2013, 09:38:41 AM »

Hmm, none of those upgrades look all that great.  To answer you question though, no, that is not the review I was referring to.  It was from quite a few people commenting on a jeep forum.

The guy in that video might want to have the SOTP lumen meter checked for calibration.

2' from a wall or the random aiming it to the ceiling with the camera set to auto adjust  :dope:
- that could be raptor doing that review....
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2013, 11:06:07 AM »
So you don't think the video is showing true light output?  Camera possibly dumbing it down?  Judging by what he's actually saying, it doesn't seem he's overly thrilled by them.  At that cost it may be  after to go with a swap to something where HIDs can be installed.  Those truck lites sure do look pretty though.

* Recent Photos

IMG_8669.JPG

Views: 6
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal