April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Welcome marksl01!!!!  (Read 5553 times)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Welcome marksl01!!!!
« on: August 10, 2013, 11:21:14 PM »
Cafe Members....may I have your attention for a moment.....I would like to Welcome Mark to the Cafe.

Mark and I go way back....I mean old school way back.   Mark and I attended Boarding School together...Mark was an upperclassman which means he is older than me today....LOL.  (the fart)

Mark basically grew up in a body shop in DFW...his family had a wildly popular Body shop in the center of the city...I used to drive by it when I worked in Irving Texas after college and saw how big and prosperous the company was...they were a top ratted shop in DFW and I was proud to know one of the son's of the business.   Mark and I have similar roles in life, parents of young children, and we both are in technology and we both travel a lot....we kid a lot on Facebook with each other about our travel fun...or not fun.

Anyway, glad to see Mark join up at the Cafe, lets make sure we bring him back in the fold...he knows what he doing but he needs a 20 year refresher course.     

Welcome the the Cafe Mark, honored and happy to have you here and so close to Keller. 

Welcome!!!

Now lets spend your money!!!!

RR....(Smidge)   

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: Welcome marksl01!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 07:21:55 AM »
Any friend of JP's is somebody we can abuse here. Welcome to the Caf?!

Tom

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 08:23:23 AM »
Mark,

Welcome to the site.

Too bad for your money clip  :redneck:

Steve
Steve

Offline marksl01

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 09:46:52 AM »
Well thanks for the warm reception JP!  You sure know how to make a guy feel young again.

So guys - let's start with equipment.  I inherited a professional SnapOn tool chest from my dad at the beginning of this year that I need to fill up.  What kind of buffers and pads do you recommend?  We drive only luxury cars in our house so I want to be careful of edge burns on the paint.  Home Depot is most convenient to my house so anything I can get there is preferred.

Offline EricHaley

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 10:04:33 AM »
What area of technology are both of you in?  I'm a software/web developer myself.

Offline marksl01

• Café Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 10:11:45 AM »
I'm in Healthcare IT - my company processes Healthcare claims and all the administrative transactions for some of the biggest Blue Cross/Blue Shield plans in the country.  I'm a software Product Manager so get to enjoy tons of travel - just not enough to earn Platinum Air Ranger like JP!

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 10:28:26 AM »
why is it geeks are attracted to detailing ?  :redneck:

I work for a firewall manufacture out of CA covering IL & IN.

I only do 6 plane trips a year now, I do not miss what I did back at Redback & Aruba networks days.
- Those were the years I made Global Services on UAL.
Steve

Offline EricHaley

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 10:37:26 AM »
Maybe because we need an obsessive compulsive hobby to go along with out obsessive compulsive careers?  :)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 05:38:29 PM »
What kind of buffers and pads do you recommend?  We drive only luxury cars in our house so I want to be careful of edge burns on the paint.  Home Depot is most convenient to my house so anything I can get there is preferred.

I think you're going to find that we don't recommend very much from Home Depot. (Maybe some of their carpet cleaner and grout sponges, but that's it.) You will find that we've got some great supporting vendors here with better stuff that we would recommend though.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 08:34:18 PM »
What kind of buffers and pads do you recommend?  We drive only luxury cars in our house so I want to be careful of edge burns on the paint.  Home Depot is most convenient to my house so anything I can get there is preferred.

Missed this going off on the geek part of the thread.

Home Depot might carry PC7424XPs which I think is still a good option for starting out.
- Pads at HD, no way, even if they carried them.

You might find it cheaper online, even considering the shipping vs sales tax item.

A lot depends on budget, and what the defects are on the paint you are going after.
- If this is going to be more than a few weekends a year on your own vehicles, you might want to look at a Flex 3401 forced rotation DA.

Using DAs or forced rotation DA ( Flex ) your chances of edge burn are greatly reduced.
- I would say completely removed, but there could be a corner case of using a heavy cutting pad with compound that it would.  Keep least aggressive first and sane increases in the aggressiveness of either pad or product and you should not have this happen.  I see this as a primary rotary item to watch ( depending on the pad / product setup ).

If you have an idea of what you are going after defect wise, this would give us a better idea on what to suggest.
Steve

* Recent Photos

Mustang KR

Views: 2
By: Tdub

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal