1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
[28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Faded Paint  (Read 10308 times)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: Faded Paint
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 10:49:23 AM »
Steve

I was airing on the side of caution suggesting the Megs kit only b.c I too have extensive background with the Hyper Compound and Polish and if used improperly, it can do some damage.   

I think the Megs kit is a tad on the safer side for a person starting out. 

I could be wrong, never used the Hyper stuff on any MF's just on my Flex using Lakes.  Fasted cut outside of Menzera SIP I have ever seen.   

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 09:19:37 PM »
I could be wrong in that suggestion. 
My compare that I wrote up, I thought the the megs was not really dong much. 
- The correcting step was between the Hyper Compound on a Opt MF cutting pad, and the Hyper Polish on a Opt MF polishing pad.
- The finishing step that the Megs directions say can be used alone, if it is not too bad of defects; would be on soft paint from what I tried.

I was using the Flex for the comparison on both setups.

I think on a PC the results will be more muted than the Flex, even with the MF pads or LC foam pads.
Steve

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 10:48:12 PM »
I could be wrong in that suggestion. 
My compare that I wrote up, I thought the the megs was not really dong much. 
- The correcting step was between the Hyper Compound on a Opt MF cutting pad, and the Hyper Polish on a Opt MF polishing pad.
- The finishing step that the Megs directions say can be used alone, if it is not too bad of defects; would be on soft paint from what I tried.

I was using the Flex for the comparison on both setups.

I think on a PC the results will be more muted than the Flex, even with the MF pads or LC foam pads.

Steve, you bring up a very valid point.  I've never used the OP MF pads so, it's hard for me to speak on it actually, honestly you would know more on it than me given your write up.   

That said, my observations on the finish step on the MF's is like yours.  I think there is very minimal polish properties and dare I say I think there is a lot of filler in it.   Truth be told, when using the MF system, after step two, I do an IPA wipe down just to double check the first step.   And confessions #1,2, and 3,  I usually use a different product after the MF Compound pending on the surface and brand of paint.   

What I like about the Megs MF compound and the MF cutting pad is the control I feel I have on it.   Not having used the OP Hyper Compound on a MF pad leaves me at a disadvantage to comment fully on it but using the OP HC on lake  pads, I can speak to that with confidence.     

The only reason i suggested it as a starting point if I was starting over is b/c of the safety of using it.   

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 07:10:38 AM »
Not too sure on the color codes for the Megs MF pads, ( I always forget them ) but the OPT MF polishing pad is like a LC white pad in terms of cut ( has a white base )
The cutting pad is a yellow base, which I would put between LC Yellow & Orange; without the marring that LC yellow pads can cause.
 - This is why I always suggest going after the defect with Hyperpolish & the MF Polish pad, just like starting at polish and a white LC foam pad is a good starting point.

Once I get done with the OPT MF Polishing pad & Hyper Polish, I always step down to a black LC foam pad for a follow up polish ( this step I always go PB ProPolish ).
- Then again even using foam, I would go from a polishing with a white LC pad to a LC black pad before moving on to LSP.

Long post slightly longer, this would make your suggestion of the Megs MF kit a bit better, as the lower grit MF pad is a finishing pad, not polishing.

BTW : I used OPT HyperCompound on my Megs MF pads just fine after the test.  I tossed the D300 & D301 in the trash, and I am working on using up the MF pads with OPT product.  Keep in mind, the Megs kit with the finishing Mf pad would be about the same as OPT HyperPolish on a LC black pad.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 07:13:04 AM by sscully »
Steve

* Recent Photos

Views: 4
By: gipraw

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal