April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Opti Seal vs Power Lock - Side by Side test  (Read 10209 times)

Offline sscully

• Café Member
Opti Seal vs Power Lock - Side by Side test
« on: July 30, 2012, 01:32:47 PM »
Has some time this AM to polish the front clip and the doors on the driver's side to start the Optimum OptiSeal vs Menz PowerLock testing.

1. Application
Hard to say one is more difficult than the other.
PL was dirt easy going on with the Flex & Red pad on speed 1.  Removal after haze, VERY easy.  The stuff almost fell off after hazing.
OptiSeal is a WOWA sealant, so no removal step, but application you need to pay attention to how much is getting on the panel, and go over any areas that are not flashing right away ( get that "petroleum rainbow" look about it ).

So even though PowerLock is a WO-Haze-WO application I would call them dead even on application.  PL is that easy to work with.

Layering application
OptiSeal has the edge here.  Layering for thickness is  ~1 hour between coats ( depth magnification is 24 hr wait time between coats ) and PowerLock is 3 hours from 1st to 2nd coat.

2. Looks.
It is very close, the edge I would say goes to OptiSeal.  It does not seem to magnify the orange peel like PL seems to do.
So I would say slight edge to Optiseal for clarity. Both seem to have the same depth at time of application.

3. Feel
I know, a detailed paint job is not for feeling but when removing the PowerLock the MF towel slide very easy around the surface.  Tom has made note of this a few times, but comparing slick to slick, PowerLock has this category hands down.  Even after 3 hours, the OptiSeal surface does not feel as slick as the PL surface.  Supposition would lead one to think that less will stick to the surface if the LSP is slicker.  Makes sense to me, don't know if this is junk science.

3A. Feel 24 hours on:
After 24 hours, the OptiSeal door panel feel to be the same slickness as the PowerLock on the front fender. 
- I guess this is why depth enhancing layering of OptiSeal is to be done at 24 hr intervals ( previous coat is done curing / cross linking ?? -> Junk science ?? )
I don't know if OptiSeal has a similar issue to OptiCoat 2.0 where if you drive it too soon, it can have wind marks in it, never tried it.  The Powerlock seems to have a quicker initial setup and after 3 hours is done ?? ( going off the recoat time on the bottle -> supposition ).

4. Durability
Need to edit this once I get some time on the application, at 7 hours it is no different.
- Could have something to do with the truck has not left the garage yet  :redneck:

5. Waterless wash / QD application
5.1. ONR @ QD Ratio of 15:1
Hood had no issue with an ONR QD wipe down this AM.  Nothing looked out of place, after I was done, it had the same effective look.  Can't say the gloss was any better, but it was only 24 hours old, and a quick dust and QD just removed a bit of dust that was on there.
- ONR QD wipe downs seem to have the most pronounced look to them when used on an OptiCoat 2.0 surface.  It really makes that pop.

5.2 PoorBoy Spray & Wipe
Did the front clip this AM before taking the dogs for a walk.  Same garage temp ( ~ 78*-80* F ) as above.  took SnW just fine, no issues.  Looks to be the same appearance wise as when it was done, and when I did the ONR @ QD ratio.  Was not expecting any different ( SnW is pretty neutral ).  The feel of the paint is the same as post ONR -QD and after getting done. 
SnW has a slick feeling to it & has no gloss enhancing items to it when applied to a surface. 

5.3 Poorboy Spray & Gloss
Yesterday AM, did a SnG application on the PL on the hood and driver's side front fender.
Seemed easier to apply SnG and did not need as much.  Put on what I would normally use, and it appeared that I had put on too much ( took longer to finish wipe off ).  Kind of reminded me of when I tried Finish Kare 425, bit snotty and smeared around.  I will keep this in mind when I try OCW on the Power Lock.  Got a good rain on SAT afternoon, and got pictures of the beading.

2-SEP-2012.
The PL and OS surfaces had lost the slick feeling to them, and were no longer beading up water as well as the day they went on.

Had washed the truck a few times, as well as ONR washes, QD touch ups w/ CA duster as needed.

Hard to tell which did better longevity wise, the PL was on a panel facing up, where OptiSeal was on the door ( taking the brunt of the rain driving down the road ).

Ease of Application = Power Lock.
- No touch up of thick areas
Slick feeling
- Power Lock day 1.  Long Term both had the same feel at 30 days.

If you call longevity the same, Power Lock comes out on top.
Hard call, next time I am going to 50-50 the hood so I can get an apples to apples compare.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 01:06:29 PM by sscully »
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: Opti Seal vs Power Lock - Side by Side test
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 04:50:23 PM »
Steve,

Great comparo! You know I love the PL for the very same reasons you mentioned. I'll be waiting for the durabilty test though. And even if it doesn't last quite as long, that ease of application and removal goes a long way on a follow up coat.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 10:56:22 PM »
It really does meet with the other reviews and yours.

The ability to apply it quick without thinking ( red pad and the flex it is hard to get the application too thick ), where OptiSeal does take some paying attention to for the flash, and needing to check that it has flashed clear on the whole panel.
- I would say OptiSeal and Opti Coat 2.0 are about the same application wise.  OptiSeal is easier to correct if the application gets messed up.

I am going to try ONR @ QD ratio on it first, then PB SnW and then move to SnG and finally Optimum OCW, to see how it takes to layering of a product over it.  I seem to recall the Rejax Sealant might have had an issue with gloss enhancing QD work.  Don't know if it was the sealant or the application that caused this.
Steve

Offline Merlin

• Café Member
    • Quicksilver Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 06:31:27 AM »
Thanks for the interesting WOWA vs. sealant review

Looks like from your Menz PL vs. OptiSeal findings that Power Lock came out ahead.

Ease of use (PL goof proof application)
Look ("very close")
Longevity ("Power Lock comes out on top")

Recently I have seen a lot of new entries in the WOWA arena started by Zaino Z-CS

I have Menz PL on my shelf but I have recently purchased a few "LSP of the day" products.
Looks like I'm going to have to pull it to the front of the shelf & revisit Menzerna Power Lock

Thanks Again

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 11:00:07 PM »
Just got back from a Wedding in MI, ~ 600 mi round trip, and it rained almost the entire time we were gone. 
Just looking at the truck back in the garage, and it does not look bad at all after all that rain and road crap getting on it.

The c pillar area was not bad, gave it a quick QNR wipe down, and it still feels slick.  I do have 3 coats on it at the moment ( it has been sitting in the garage most of the past month ), but it seems to be holding up very well.  Lot of construction zones on 94, so I am sure I got more than straight dirt on it.

Very impressed with PL, just got another bottle when Detailed Image has the sale with free shipping.
I have been using the OptiSeal on the company car.  I have a few coats on it, don't care how it is flashing, winter is coming and it is an outside vehicle that gets the miles pounded on it.  Sure by spring it will be naked again.
Steve

* Recent Photos

IMG_3436.JPG

Views: 1
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal