1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Leatherique Test  (Read 2942 times)

Offline sscully

• Café Member
Leatherique Test
« on: March 27, 2012, 09:08:48 PM »
Had some Leatherique to try for the crease minimization part of it.

Got it from PAC some time ago ( for another project that never happened ), and just now got to the point where NL was not doing much for them.

The seats had some serious creases developing in them from pre hip replacement on the driver's side seat, door side.

followed the direction that came with the kit

An example of the before :

Nothing really bad with it, just a crease starting from compressed foam, from getting in and out slightly worse every week for quite a few years.

Kind of hard to tell, but there is a bit of depth to these creases.

I went over the area with Rejuvenator Oil for the most part following the directions. 
I sprayed it on, and used a leather brush to work it in really well, then toweled it off ( with a bit of dirt ), and reapplied it again for the sauna setup.

I used a 44 gal plastic bag to cover the whole seat, and the "garage hair dryer" to warm under the bag.  I used high ( the hot setting ) and low speed for this application.
I used a quick clamp on the seat rail to set the bottom of the hairdryer on, let it sit like this for ~ 60 min.  BTW - Be careful if the hairdryer falls onto the air intake, it will run real warm, and start to melt the bag where the hairdryer is up against it.

After an hour, I removed the bag, and the seat was tacky ( just like the directions said it would be ).  Had to brush off the part that got kicked up when the intake on the dryer fell on the floor ( screen is out of it for garage duty ).

Could already see a delta in the creases on the seats.  the deeper ones could stand another round.  The shallower ones looked gone

followed the directions the remainder of the way using the Pristine Clean

Finished

I got a new cushion and heating element to replace the seat post hip replacement, guess now is as good as time as any to do that.   
Also have the set of factory leather & Pleasther covers from New take offs com.  guess I'll go all in at 6 years old and replace every thing on the seat bottom on the driver's side. 
I'll hit it again with the oil / heat process again to see if the creases will come out over time.  I'll be able to let it sit getting warmed for a few weeks like that.
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: Leatherique Test
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 05:48:06 AM »
Steve,

Wow, pretty cool. So if I ever win the lottery and can afford something with animal ass seating surfaces ...  :redneck:

Offline sscully

• Café Member
Re: Leatherique Test
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 06:19:27 AM »
Steve,

Wow, pretty cool. So if I ever win the lottery and can afford something with animal ass seating surfaces ...  :redneck:

I think you got the ass part right. 
Unless you spend the money for the KR, I think it is donkey leather

Think of it this way, the front seats are leather seating surfaces, the remainder of it is pleather / Mother of Barstool
Steve

* Recent Photos

IMG_8662.JPG

Views: 9
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal