Show off Your Recent Detail > Café Hall of Fame Detail Work

46 year old paint.. in progress pics added.

(1/6) > >>

gipraw:
Check this out..  1962 vette.  Original paint.  this car looks awesome from 10 feet away, but up close it is rough, rough, rough.

The owner has asked me to get it to the point where he isn't embarrassed to drive it for the next 8 - 10 months, when it is scheduled to undergo a complete frame off restoration.
As you can see below .. this car has numerous issues.  There are several places where the fiberglass is cracking and failing, causing several surface paint issues.

Sitting in the driveway.

Playing with the Gilmour:

Close ups after washing.

There are several different places on the paint where some sort of solvent, or other chemical has been rubbed over or sprayed on the surface. This is on the front and hood:

more of the junk all over the front of this car:

Another angle looking at the hood:

The hardtop looks as bad, or worse than the hood does.

Some of the cracking I mentioned previously.

I have this car for most of the week, so I will be able to take my time on it, and see how much I can improve on the current condition.  I would love to make this car looks like it deserves to look, but the paint is just too far gone.  It is a shame that the car's previous owner neglected it so bad.

guitarman502:
awww sweet!

Rollingrock:
insert popcorn image here...   I will be watching this will fun to read.

Best of luck but I know you'll work some mojo on it.

Boss_429:
Gip...

Sweet! Wasn't the paint on those Vett's black lacquer?

Rockpick:

--- Quote from: Boss_429 on August 18, 2008, 06:37:59 AM ---Gip...

Sweet! Wasn't the paint on those Vett's black lacquer?

--- End quote ---

You know, I think I've read that once before... Great point, Boss! 

What would one do differently on a lacquer vs. an old single-stage?  Or, is it kind of one in the same?

Can't wait to see what you can do with it Gip.  Glad to see it's finally in your driveway -- we've talked about this one for months now...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version