Exterior Detailing > Metal Polishing

Rejuventating metal trim on 1988 BMW

(1/1)

stoffden:
I'm working on a 1988 BMW and the metal trim is cloudy and has fine scratches in it.  I've been reading all over the Internet that you have to remove the anodized sealer to improve the look of the metail by either using a caustic chemical or use fine sandpaper.  Removing this sealer then leaves the metal exposed and will then need constant sealing with wax.  Not happy with these two choices.  Does anyone have any experience/suggestions to improving the look of this trim?  BTW it's aluminum trim.

Link to photos:  http://s1083.photobucket.com/albums/j390/stoffden/Detailing%20Ted%20BMW/

Thanks.

gipraw:
once you have it polished, I believe the best answer is to have it resealed, but I am not sure the process that needs to be used. 

tdr6874:
If you remove sealer...I would opt for a wipe with a green scotchbrite pad and make it a grained stainless. It will look clean but you will lose the chrome look but gain a brushed stainless look.  You should only have to do thise quarterly and take about 5 mins

Too Stroked:
I'd be real careful on messing with an anodized finish on aluminum. Once you break through the anodizing or even the sealer, you're going to open yourself up to all of the wonderful problems people run into with unfinished aluminum - such as on polished aliminum wheels with no clear coat. And as you probably recall there, it's not a pretty picture. If on the other hand the anodized finish is already compromised, all bets are off.

BTW, If I recall correctly back from my days in a plating shop, re-sealing an anodized finish is not something one can do at home. In fact I'm not sure it can really be done at all. I think you have to start all over again by stripping, re-anodizing, etc.

stoffden:
Thank you for your words of widom.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version