* Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 [29] 30

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: 105 and Purple Foamed Wool  (Read 6251 times)

Offline slopjock78

• Café Member
105 and Purple Foamed Wool
« on: April 06, 2010, 10:55:02 AM »
Ok, so i traded my '08 F150 off a few weeks ago on an '08 F250 4x4 CC 8' bed with the 6.4 PSD with 20k miles.  I had ONR washed it a few times, and new that i had some work to do.  Overall, the paint was in good shape, with only a few very small rock chips.  But, scratches EVERYWHERE!  i dont want to say that the guy washed with steel wool, but it crossed my mind.

Well i finally had a chance to really get into it before church on sunday.  clayed the hood, then started in with the PC and 205 on a white pad.  helped, but didnt do a lot to the scratches.  next tried 105 with a new white pad.  a little better, but still not where i wanted it.  next tried 105 with an orange pad.  of course, did pretty good job, but of course it hazed up fairly well, so had to go back with the 205.  about halfway through the hood, i remembered that i had a 3.5" purple foamed wool pad.  i gave that a shot with the 105 and was amazed!!!!  took out all of the scratches (some of the deeper ones required several passes) and didnt haze a bit!  i followed it up with some poorboys PP on a blue bad and was really amazed at the results!  i only got the hood and one quarter panel done, so the picks will come later.  now i'm no professional by anyones standards, and its not perfect, but i'm really liking the results so far.

so to finally get to my question, has anyone else had much experience with the purple foamed wool pads?  just curious to see what kind of results others that have tried it are having

slopjock78

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: 105 and Purple Foamed Wool
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 12:31:53 PM »
Ok, so i traded my '08 F150 off a few weeks ago on an '08 F250 4x4 CC 8' bed with the 6.4 PSD with 20k miles.  I had ONR washed it a few times, and new that i had some work to do.  Overall, the paint was in good shape, with only a few very small rock chips.  But, scratches EVERYWHERE!  i dont want to say that the guy washed with steel wool, but it crossed my mind.

Well i finally had a chance to really get into it before church on sunday.  clayed the hood, then started in with the PC and 205 on a white pad.  helped, but didnt do a lot to the scratches.  next tried 105 with a new white pad.  a little better, but still not where i wanted it.  next tried 105 with an orange pad.  of course, did pretty good job, but of course it hazed up fairly well, so had to go back with the 205.  about halfway through the hood, i remembered that i had a 3.5" purple foamed wool pad.  i gave that a shot with the 105 and was amazed!!!!  took out all of the scratches (some of the deeper ones required several passes) and didnt haze a bit!  i followed it up with some poorboys PP on a blue bad and was really amazed at the results!  i only got the hood and one quarter panel done, so the picks will come later.  now i'm no professional by anyones standards, and its not perfect, but i'm really liking the results so far.

so to finally get to my question, has anyone else had much experience with the purple foamed wool pads?  just curious to see what kind of results others that have tried it are having

slopjock78

LOL

Slop....you must have leaned through osmosis from the Cafe.  Many of us are fans of the LC PFW pad...what I think is so funny is that you followed it with PB PP which is what I do often. 

Looking forward to the photos...

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline slopjock78

• Café Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 02:48:56 PM »
well, to make myself look really smart, i was always wondering what PFW stood for.  i saw that mentioned from time to time and never put 2 and 2 together.  i'm a real genius....LOL   :dope:

so, you're sayin that i stumbled upon a proven winner by shear coincidence?  that has to be a first

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 03:19:24 PM »
well, to make myself look really smart, i was always wondering what PFW stood for.  i saw that mentioned from time to time and never put 2 and 2 together.  i'm a real genius....LOL   :dope:

so, you're saying that i stumbled upon a proven winner by shear coincidence?  that has to be a first
Doing what I do is pure luck!  LOL    All kidding aside yes you did stumble into ONE method that works.  The great news is that there are 100 ways to get that done.   

But using 105 with PFW then PP wiht a blue finish pad to "burnish" is a VERY good method of correction/polish. 

I wouldn't hit your F250 with the PFW every time...now that is is correct, it is easier to maintain it.

Post photos....do you know how to use our gallery here? 

Offline slopjock78

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 03:35:12 PM »
well the truck isnt done yet.  only the hood and the driver side quarter panel is done so far.  its pretty slow going right now.  especially working with the 3.5" PFW pad on the PC.  i'm just taking my time and making sure i do the best job i can.  however, this is really making a good case for me to step up in the tool department.  a rotary is sounding REALLY good right now....

i also have some 205 as well as 80, so hoping that i can just maintain with that once i get it into good shape.  although i must admit i'm not the easiest on trucks....  not that i do it on purpose, but central illinois in the winter is like driving on the utah salt fields.  and  i also spend a lot of the fall and winter driving gravel roads deer and kyote hunting.  and my last truck was white, so it did a MUCH better job hiding some of that stuff.  but, also looking forward to how black is gonna look once i get it nice.

i will try and get some photos of the uncorrected panels tonight if there is some good sun.  however, my camera is currently out of commission, so ive only got my 2 mp phone.  i'll take the best pictures i can.  as far as the gallery goes, i've definitely looked at and admired some of the pictures in there, but have never attemped to put anything in there of my own......

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 03:41:20 PM »
well the truck isnt done yet.  only the hood and the driver side quarter panel is done so far.  its pretty slow going right now.  especially working with the 3.5" PFW pad on the PC.  i'm just taking my time and making sure i do the best job i can.  however, this is really making a good case for me to step up in the tool department.  a rotary is sounding REALLY good right now....

i also have some 205 as well as 80, so hoping that i can just maintain with that once i get it into good shape.  although i must admit i'm not the easiest on trucks....  not that i do it on purpose, but central illinois in the winter is like driving on the utah salt fields.  and  i also spend a lot of the fall and winter driving gravel roads deer and kyote hunting.  and my last truck was white, so it did a MUCH better job hiding some of that stuff.  but, also looking forward to how black is gonna look once i get it nice.

i will try and get some photos of the uncorrected panels tonight if there is some good sun.  however, my camera is currently out of commission, so ive only got my 2 mp phone.  i'll take the best pictures i can.  as far as the gallery goes, i've definitely looked at and admired some of the pictures in there, but have never attemped to put anything in there of my own......

the 3.5 " will teach you to be patience, I have done an EXPY with a 3.5" PFW pad...just take it easy with the 105...check the work and only do a 3/4 by 3/4 foot area at a time...then overlap that area 1 time on the next pass giving you 2 passes if needed. 

Be careful on the edges and seams with the pfw pad......did I remind you to post photos?

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Detailing Supply Retailer
    • Obsessive Detail
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 07:58:22 PM »
PFW pads with the 105 can do some pretty heavy correction even with the PC, like RR said, be very careful on your edges.

Offline DLR Detailing

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 09:13:29 PM »
I just finished doing an F-350 4 door dually with M105 and 3.5" PFW on the bed sides and tailgate.  IMO... that combo is hard to beat.  Used a 6" orange pad everywhere else.  Followed up with Opt polish and a white pad. 
Before anyone asks... sorry, no pics.  My camera has bit the dust. 
"Do not hire a man who does your work for money, but him who does it for love of it." Henry David Thoreau

Offline slopjock78

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 06:35:23 AM »
point well taken justin.  this thing has some pretty major scratches on it.  nothing down to bare metal, but some pretty stubborn ones for sure.  but, the 105 with the PFW, even on a PC, has proven to have some pretty major correcting ability.  but still shocked at how well it finished.

did you get my order for more 105 and PFW pads?  all i had was a sample bottle of 105 that i already had used a fair amount out of on my last truck.  gotta get restocked so i make sure to have enough to finish

slopjock78

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Detailing Supply Retailer
    • Obsessive Detail
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 11:07:24 AM »
Edit.  I was thinking that order shipped out yesterday, I just realized I didn't get it until late yesterday.  That will be sent out today and you will get it tomorrow bud.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 12:55:54 PM by Obsessive Detail »

Offline Old Dogg™

• Café Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 09:05:20 PM »
It took me a while but I love that pad for  serious correction...it's even my go to pad for fogged headlights.
Man you are lucky.  It took me months of playing around with all sorts of pads to finally try a PFW pad.  I have the 3.5" for my DA and a 6" for my flex.  I had a small learning curve with the pad and it has it's time and places...  M105 give me a fit with the dust and I also had a big learning curve with it also but the combination cant be beat.  I even use it with M205 on occasion for speed.  

I learned after 5 years of heavy use and never polishing my truck that sometimes you gotta decide how much clear you want to remove versus living with some scratches. :cheers:  
You can make money or you can make excuses but you can't do both.

Offline leedriver

• Café Member
  • Detailing Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 07:52:06 AM »
Man I definitely need some more time with this combo. I have a really hard time with M105, let alone with PFW....
LD

Offline slopjock78

• Café Member
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 08:03:49 AM »
Edit.  I was thinking that order shipped out yesterday, I just realized I didn't get it until late yesterday.  That will be sent out today and you will get it tomorrow bud.

no problem.  wasnt gonna use it last night, and prolly wont even get back to it today so you're all good.  hopefully get a chance to get some more done on it tomorrow

It took me a while but I love that pad for  serious correction...it's even my go to pad for fogged headlights.
Man you are lucky.  It took me months of playing around with all sorts of pads to finally try a PFW pad.  I have the 3.5" for my DA and a 6" for my flex.  I had a small learning curve with the pad and it has it's time and places...  M105 give me a fit with the dust and I also had a big learning curve with it also but the combination cant be beat.  I even use it with M205 on occasion for speed. 

I learned after 5 years of heavy use and never polishing my truck that sometimes you gotta decide how much clear you want to remove versus living with some scratches. :cheers: 

well i have to admit that it was just plain dumb luck for me figuring this one out.  didnt like the hazing with the orange pad and 105 and having to take another pass with 205, so thought i'd give the PFW pad a try.  i also had a problem with the dusting.  when it starts to get dry, i just give it a real small little spray of QD (i'm using last touch at 2:1 for clay lube).  i found that let me fully work the product without it drying out.  is that ok to do?

as for removing too much clear, i agree with you for sure.  the guy before me put some fairly nice scratches in it for me at no extra charge...  like i said in the original post, nothing crazy deep, but i have already decided that i'm just gonna have to live with a couple of them to make sure i leave plenty of clear on.  its gonna be SO much better then what i started with, that i think i can live with how its gonna turn out

Offline Old Dogg™

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 11:24:13 AM »
M105 beat me down for months before I got some techniques that worked for me.  Though many here will give very good advice, I think the conditions and climate will make a big difference on how it  does or dosen't work.  I did a post on mixing compounds http://www.thedetailerscafe.com/smf/index.php?topic=1338.0 some time ago but some mix everything from deionized water to QD with it to extend the working time...but  no matter what there will be dust. 

I never liked the orange pad with M105 either....seems to make more work than it solves but im still a beginner and have much to learn. 
I just bought but haven't tried a tangerine pad that is supposed to be between the Green and White LC pads.
You can make money or you can make excuses but you can't do both.

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal