1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: My new interior lighting  (Read 4519 times)

Offline DLR Detailing

• Café Member
My new interior lighting
« on: December 27, 2009, 09:17:28 AM »
I want to share with you an after Christmas gift I bought myself.  I apologize for not posting my own pictures; I lost the battle trying to retrieve the pictures from my camera.  

I blame my dilemma on old age and tired eyes.   :dunno:  Seems like I am never able to have enough light while doing interiors, I am always dealing with shadows and dark spots.  I have tried several different combinations of portable halogens, fluorescents, incandescent flood, manufactured and homemade and I still wasn?t completely satisfied.   I am hoping this will help fill in those dark spots.   http://www.wobblelight.com/wobblelight-jr.php

I realize this is going to take up some floor or seat space while in use.  I?ll just move it from side to side as I work.  Really no different than moving other types of lights around or in and out of the vehicle.  At least this one won?t fall over and burn anything.

I?ll post a review after I have used it on a few jobs coming up.

"Do not hire a man who does your work for money, but him who does it for love of it." Henry David Thoreau

Online Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: My new interior lighting
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 10:38:47 AM »
At 27" it seems kind of big.  I hope it works for you.  I have a feeling it may cast shadows of it's own.  Let us know.  I wonder if there's any way to use a clamp light, the domed reflector style like you see on aquariums and then clamp it where ever it best works, like a head rest.  

Something like this but with a softer flourescent light that won't generate heat and kill you while you're in there. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 10:43:00 AM by ESF »
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 12:10:59 PM »
Man, if the height was only adjustable, that thing looks like it would be killer. I struggle with the same issues doing interior work. Maybe that's part of the reason I hate doing interiors. (Of course it could also be stumbling upon year old Ding Dongs under a seat...) Tell us how it works out!

Offline DLR Detailing

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 02:18:53 PM »
At 27" it seems kind of big.  I hope it works for you.  I have a feeling it may cast shadows of it's own.  Let us know.  I wonder if there's any way to use a clamp light, the domed reflector style like you see on aquariums and then clamp it where ever it best works, like a head rest.  

Something like this but with a softer flourescent light that won't generate heat and kill you while you're in there. 

I tried the clamp light thing long ago but with a regular bulb which made the reflector dangerously hot.  You know, I never even thought about screwing a fluorescent bulb in it.   :dope:  I'll have to give that a try as well.  Thank you for the idea!   :clap:
The wobble light is kinda big, however I don't see many cars, usually full sized SUV's and 4 door trucks.  I hope it works too.   :dunno:
"Do not hire a man who does your work for money, but him who does it for love of it." Henry David Thoreau

Offline DLR Detailing

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 07:10:14 PM »
Just a quick update about the light.
I have had a chance to use it on a couple of jobs now.  Depending on positioning in the vehicle it can cast a shadow as ESF mentioned.  (especially on cars)   SUVs not so bad.  I will say it does not appear to be the "miracle light" I had hoped for.

I'll continue to use it and try different placings in the vehicle and let you all know.

Offline Bunky

• Café Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 08:27:27 AM »
I have a clamp lamp and do use CFL bulbs but not for interior use. I would be concerned about fragility.  Do you even make a rough service CFL like bulb since if they break they are expensive...and not good for the health.

What I had thought about was putting 4 or so clamp lights with 150 W equivalent light output bulbs on a saw horse to use as low heat illumination in the garage.  From what I recall the lumens for say a 4-ft fluorescent light is less.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 08:29:20 AM by Bunky »
Al

Offline DLR Detailing

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 08:48:25 AM »
Bunky...  I haven't seen a rough service CFL yet, I'm going to look again today.  

Let us know how your light setup works out.

Edit:  I just came from a Menards, not my usual store, and they had rough surface 100 watt equivalent CFL for $8.50.  200 watt regular CFL for $9.00  Picked up a clamp light and I'm headin to the shop. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 03:36:35 PM by DLR Detailing »

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal