* Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 [29] 30

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: 2002 KR Detail Oh my.........  (Read 15153 times)

Offline Tdub

• Café Member
2002 KR Detail Oh my.........
« on: October 13, 2009, 08:15:13 PM »
This is going to need some serious lovin'!! :hp: :hp: :hp:

I took pics of most of the problem areas and the swirls are pretty much consistent around the whole truck.  I plan on having my Dent Wizard guy remove all of the little dings that are pictured.  In reality the tailgate needs to just be repainted but I'm going to just try and make do with what I have for now.  The carpet is soiled pretty good too.  All in all a nice truck that just needs a great detailing and some trim pieces replaced along with a tonneau cover. ;)

« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 09:16:20 PM by Tdub »
You're only here for a little while, do it while you can.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: 2002 KR Detail Oh my.........
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 08:36:19 PM »
you got your work cut out for you.

Yeah the tail gate is gone but the swirls are no problem.   The seats look very dry...it will take many spa tratements and conditioner applications to make them supple again...you won't get much color back in them..  just an FYI.

I would do this in phases for sure.  Outside first if you ask me.

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Tdub

• Café Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 09:39:08 PM »
Definitely outside first! Although I want to try and shampoo that carpet clean and lay down some towels that match the interior.  What do you think I should do with the tailgate, re-paint?  I can have that done for around $250.

I didn't get all the pics posted and double posted for some reason....

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 09:41:52 PM »
Definitely outside first! Although I want to try and shampoo that carpet clean and lay down some towels that match the interior.  What do you think I should do with the tailgate, re-paint?  I can have that done for around $250.

I didn't get all the pics posted and double posted for some reason....

Looks like a repaint to me, that look to deep to fix, but if you wanted to try knowing you are going to repaint, why not give it a shot?

Offline Rockpick

• Administrator
  • The Final Detail - Henderson, KY
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 09:49:15 PM »
Ouch.  I'm just going to sit back and wait on this one...  This one will be a tall cup of coffee.... and you'll probably never get the seats back to an "A" rating.  Castano is very picky and rehydrating the hides is a task in and of itself.

There was a thread a few years back within the KR forum (other site) where a guy found a company to actually redye the interior for him.  It was a spray application and it came out looking **KILLER**.  I've tried to dig that thread out but, I have been unable to find it.... it's there if you search deeeeeeeep.  Color Renew, maybe?  I can't remember the name of the company.. it was a franchisee type of setup though, to my recollection.  I actually contacted them for info -- and never heard a word back.
Now With Scrubbing Bubbles...

Offline hwm3

• Café Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 09:50:20 PM »
Nice. You've definitely got your work cut out for you. Take plenty of pics.

For the tailgate, it kinda depends on what you can get the rest of the truck to look like. If the bedsides are nearly as bad as the tailgate, getting it painted might make it stand out worse than just polishing it out.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 09:57:14 PM »
Ouch.  I'm just going to sit back and wait on this one...  This one will be a tall cup of coffee.... and you'll probably never get the seats back to an "A" rating.  Castano is very picky and rehydrating the hides is a task in and of itself.

There was a thread a few years back within the KR forum (other site) where a guy found a company to actually redye the interior for him.  It was a spray application and it came out looking **KILLER**.  I've tried to dig that thread out but, I have been unable to find it.... it's there if you search deeeeeeeep.  Color Renew, maybe?  I can't remember the name of the company.. it was a franchisee type of setup though, to my recollection.  I actually contacted them for info -- and never heard a word back.

Rock you are right, it is a franchise thing, I spoke and met with the local guy in dallas he told me I didnt' need to do it...he did also explain that the seats won't feel the same after the application.

I too will dig for it on my machine.

JP
EDIT, found it

here is the thread

http://www.f150online.com/forums/king-ranch/224308-dyed-king-ranch-seats.html

Color New....    http://www.colornew.com/

« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:03:43 PM by Rollingrock »

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 05:29:32 AM »
I'll echo everybody else's thoughts on you having your work cut out for you, but that's a beautiful color, so the results should be worth it. As for the tailgate, I'd skip the Dent Wizard and go straight to paint. There's just too much wrong with it to truly get it right any other way. Besides, we all know you'll get the rest of the truck looking killer, so why have the tailgate mess up an otherwise awesome truck? Good luck!

Offline Tdub

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 07:35:34 AM »
Any suggestions on what I should start with as far as pads and compounds?

I think I'll just try to salvage what I can on the seats being that they aren't bothering me all that much and anything a little better will be great.  I would like to get them cleaner though!

To do list aside from detail:

Dent Removal
Dr. Vinyl - spray tops of door panels and touch up steering wheel
Remove running bds
Tint windows
Add Tonneau Cover

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 07:53:38 AM »
If it were in my driveway, after getting it all washed and clayed, I'd start with a White LC pad and SSR 2.5 on the old PC. There are some spots that might need the Orange pad, but I'd try the White first because it's less aggressive. Then I'd move down to a White pad with SSR 1, then maybe burnish with a Black pad and SSR 1. I'm sure others will chime in with equally good or better processes. Remember, lots of pics!

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 07:55:47 AM »
compounds?

Just don't use that word!

Looks like a nice truck. It's definitely in need of some work.

What kind products do you have currently? If it was me and that truck pulled into my driveway....

First, give it a good bath (duh...)
A good clay, mild should be plenty - careful around the chipped paint.
Re-wash.

I'd hit it with 105 on a white LC pad. (Probably my CCS until I get those diamond things.)

Depending how that turned out, I might go ahead and use Poorboy's Pro Polish. If you don't have that, 205 should do nicely.

If you have a glaze, that'd really make it pop.

Depending on when you plan to sell would determine which wax I used. I LOVE Collinite 845. My truck could sit outside for 6 months with Collinite and not need a detail - with regular weekly washing. If you planned to turn it soon, I might go ahead and use #16 or Natty's Red. Could always use something like NXT 2.0, which is pretty decent and middle of the road in my opinion. Then when you're ready to sell, strip and put some Natty's or 16 on that bad boy.

I'd definitely get the carpets done first though. Nasty interiors bug the crap out of me.

Good luck and nice truck!

Offline Poorboy

• Detailing Supply Retailer
    • Poorboy's World Detailing Products
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 08:28:45 AM »
I'd go SSR2.5 with an orange pad with a PC , or if you have a rotary then I'd go with Pro Polish and a white pad at about 1200rpm ... good luck
life is short ..do it while you can
www.poorboysworld.com
www.ultrafinish.com/store  (**new microfiber only site)

Offline Tdub

• Café Member
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 03:16:09 PM »
What Attworth? Compounds..... I can't hear what you're saying? Compounds, compunds, compounds!!!!!!  You've been a feisty little thing here lately!! :nana: j/k

I have a bunch of PB stuff and the CCS pads.  I was thinking a plan of attack very much like the ones mentioned.  I don't know when I will sell it, it's kind of on my nerves already because the compass, heated seats and cruise aren't working.  I miss the growl of my Harley too. :cry:

I got most of the dents out today with the exception of the tailgate.  Tonneau will be here tomorrow, door panels dyed next week and Folex in hand so I'm ready to tear into it.  Just wish the temp would get above 50!!!

Offline DLR Detailing

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 03:32:31 PM »
Looks like you have a little  :hp:  to do.  Some elbow grease and it will be just fine.   Please take plenty of pictures as you progress with the detail.

Nice find.   :clap:
"Do not hire a man who does your work for money, but him who does it for love of it." Henry David Thoreau

Offline Tdub

• Café Member
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 07:34:36 PM »
Hey thanks!  I think that I've concluded that the tailgate is in need of much dent removal and repainted.  :doh:   Just trying to keep my cost down on it.

*UPDATE*  Folex is magical!!!  Best stuff I have personally used on carpet.  With little effort carpet looks much better.

* Recent Photos

IMG_2492.JPG

Views: 1
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal