April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: My paint is trashed  (Read 10456 times)

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
My paint is trashed
« on: March 18, 2009, 05:52:33 PM »
First of RollingRock I give you kudos for detailing your truck on a regular basis because that thing has alot of surface area to it. I just finished washing and waxing my truck for the first time and I have discovered every little sin in the finish and there are alot of them that need to be addresed and the only way to fix most of them is paint. The paint have never been clayed and shows it so I think I am going to buy the clay by the pound from AutoGeek for this truck and I am also glad that I picked up my rotory last fall because I am going to need it on this truck to fix some of the stuff I saw while I was waxing it. I will get pictures up tomorrow when I get to work because my laptop and photobucket dont play well together.
Good enough never is

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: My paint is trashed
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 08:14:52 PM »
I think RR just likes to punish himself.  The F250 wasn't enough so he went out and got his wife an Expedition. 

We look forward to pictures.  Look at the bright side.  Once you do all the hard work and get it right, it's smooth sailing for the most part as long as you mainting it properly.  Even after about 8 months, a harsh winter and many washes, mine only needs minor correction.  Super light swirls and a few RIDS.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 08:32:36 PM »
LOL, its kind of my therapy if you will.  Once you get it done the first time, it's not as hard and you don't have to do as much.

ESF also has an EXPY, they do have a lot of surface area...makes my F250 seem easy now. 

We are looking forward to your photos...

That red is going to pop!

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 08:36:40 PM »
The roof!  Man, it's so easy to just say forget it. You climb up there and take one look at the surface area on the roof of SUVs and you want to cry.  Not just the roof but the channels on the roof as well.  Especially if it's wrecked.   :rant:
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 08:38:41 PM »
The roof!  Man, it's so easy to just say forget it. You climb up there and take one look at the surface area on the roof of SUVs and you want to cry.  Not just the roof but the channels on the roof as well.  Especially if it's wrecked.   :rant:

You said it, it took me 6 hours to wetsand and polish JUST the roof of the EXPY

Glad it is over, Opti-Seal is all that is needed now.  THANK THE LORD

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Old Dogg™

• Café Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 10:21:43 PM »
I dont see how you guys do all these steps in one day and still get photos.  I do my truck in sections.
I guess im lazy but I do my wheels and top surfaces one day...the sides, front and back the next day maybe.  I just don't have that kind of time most days.

Today I did wheels for 2 hours.  Wash, M105, Poli-Seal and Opti-Seal.
Tomorrow I will clay the roof and pillars for the first time in 5 years and do the same M105, PS, OS routine.  Maybe when I get caught up things will go quickly or I will have to dedicate a full 12 hours to detailing. 
You can make money or you can make excuses but you can't do both.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 10:37:24 PM »
There's nothing wrong with breaking it down in to sections.  My truck needs a little bit of correction but nothing major and I just wasn't ready to do that right now but it needed a good cleaning.  I did the interior good one day.  Then I washed it the next, put a coat of Wolfgang Fuzion on and also shampooed the carpets in the interior.  Then a couple days later I washed it again and put some OCW and Opti Seal on.  The next day I wiped it down with a QD since I didn't drive it anyway.  Just needed to get the dust off it from sitting in the driveway.  And put another coat of optiseal on and started polishing the wheels.  I got one wheel done and lost interest.  Maybe Friday I'll do another wheel.  Just playing catch up after winter.  I usually try to do all things exterior in one day though so I don't have to rewash anything. 

How did your wheels come out?  Any pictures?  They looked pretty beat up.

Offline Old Dogg™

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 12:51:41 AM »
There's nothing wrong with breaking it down in to sections.  My truck needs a little bit of correction but nothing major and I just wasn't ready to do that right now but it needed a good cleaning.  I did the interior good one day.  Then I washed it the next, put a coat of Wolfgang Fuzion on and also shampooed the carpets in the interior.  Then a couple days later I washed it again and put some OCW and Opti Seal on.  The next day I wiped it down with a QD since I didn't drive it anyway.  Just needed to get the dust off it from sitting in the driveway.  And put another coat of optiseal on and started polishing the wheels.  I got one wheel done and lost interest.  Maybe Friday I'll do another wheel.  Just playing catch up after winter.  I usually try to do all things exterior in one day though so I don't have to rewash anything. 

How did your wheels come out?  Any pictures?  They looked pretty beat up.
Im slow or old or maybe some of both.  To be meticulous I have to take my time....like sex, rushing takes the fun out of it for me.  The interior is on next weeks schedule maybe.

The wheels looked good...I think. :laugh:  I ran out of light and time today for pictures but im going to post some before and afters in the next day or so.  I still use film for my serious photos.
You can make money or you can make excuses but you can't do both.

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 07:29:54 AM »
Here are the pictures. I looks like someone tried to steal my Powerstroke badges and jacked up the paint. There was also a bug guard on the truck that was installed incorrectly and it damaged the paint on the hood. The truck is a fifty footer at this point until I can get it into the body shop to have it painted.
Needless to say I have my work cut out for me on this truck.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 07:34:31 AM by RedMichFX4 »
Good enough never is

Offline Poorboy

• Detailing Supply Retailer
    • Poorboy's World Detailing Products
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 07:41:48 AM »
wow that's a bummer  :wtf: people stealing badges  :rant: that just ain't right
life is short ..do it while you can
www.poorboysworld.com
www.ultrafinish.com/store  (**new microfiber only site)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 08:11:43 AM »
Wow.  That sucks.  I thought it was dirt at first.

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 08:30:40 AM »
Thanks guys needless to say I was a little more than pissed when I saw that as I was washing the truck last night. But on the bright side I am going to see what will cost me to shave the badges and paint the door handles and mirror caps while I am at it.
Good enough never is

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 08:40:37 AM »
Am I losing my mind or did you change your user name? 

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 08:55:13 AM »
Am I losing my mind or did you change your user name? 

No you are about as sane as the rest of us here but I did change my screen name. :biglaugh:
Good enough never is

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 09:18:49 AM »
Ok.  Cause I'm sitting here going "SOB, this whole time I thought this was a different person.  Man their names are similar."  Just one of them days.

* Recent Photos

IMG_0822.JPG

Views: 1
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal