Detailing Products > Polishes/Surface Correction Products

Alcohol and Prep Sol Wipe Downs

(1/3) > >>

DnD Auto Detailing:
Alcohol and Prep Sol wipe downs serve several purposes. The most common use is to remove any fillers, oils, etc., in the polish which may be hiding defects. Realistically, pretty much all polishes will hide defects to a certain extent. That extent depends on the polish obviously, but also the type of paint, if its original paint or repaint, the type of pad and machine being used, the actual technique you're using to polish, if there are any chemicals on the paint or pad, etc.

Here are some pictures I took while detailing a black Lexus. I used alcohol as my wipe down chemical.

Before

After SIP w/ CCS orange on the rotary- Looks much better right?

After an alcohol wipe down

As you can see, that first pass did practically nothing. Imagine if I didn't do the alcohol wipe down and returned the car. In a couple weeks or months, the paint would return to the previous condition it was in, which was obviously an amazing buffing by the dealership. :fight: :slam:

I will add that the paint must of had silicone or something in it. Again, probably left over from the dealerships wonderful work. The silicone in the paint was reacting with the abrasives in the polish causing them to not cut properly. This brings me to my next point about alcohol and Prep Sol wipe downs. If you read the description on the Prep Sol can, these paint cleaners remove silicones. Therefore, if you've got a car that has been buffed before, it is a VERY good idea to do several wipe downs to remove any possible silicones in the paint. Its a good idea to do these wipe downs prior to polishing no matter what! The cleaner you get the paint, the easier it will be to buff it out.

There are several products you can use to do this. The most popular being Prep Sol and Alcohol. But Ive used Klean Strip Prep- All too. Theres a bunch of them out there.

Rollingrock:
Dan, thanks for this, it's great!  I made the topic a sticky....

I presume this is isopropyl alcohol, diluted 50/50 with water?

DnD Auto Detailing:

--- Quote from: rollingrock on July 01, 2008, 11:55:50 PM ---Dan, thanks for this, it's great!  I made the topic a sticky....

I presume this is isopropyl alcohol, diluted 50/50 with water?

--- End quote ---

Yep, isopropyl alcohol, you can dilute it however you'd like.

05_sprcrw:
Thanks a ton! I have been wanting to try it, have herd about it, knew a little about it. But now I understand it, know why it is important to do it, and most of all will be doing it from now on.

guitarman502:
Do you do this after you clay?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version