1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: CG Sticky Gel Wheel Cleaner  (Read 9194 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
CG Sticky Gel Wheel Cleaner
« on: February 08, 2009, 02:32:08 PM »
I finally got around to trying it seeing as the weather the last couple days has been 40+.  I slacked pretty bad this winter.  I never even swapped my wheels back to stock like I wanted to for the winter.  Then to top it off I didn't stay on top of them like I should have.  So this stuff got a good work out. 

Before anything.

Was washign the truck with ONR so I rinsed the wheels off before using the CG Sticky Gel.

Sticky Gel in the works.  I have to say it didn't stick very well.   Instructions say to dilute 5:1 or however you like.  I went full strength knowing my wheels were bad.

Aggitated and rinsed.

All in all, it was a big improvement but still wasn't enough.  You can see the streaking that was left behind.  Between the first and last "rinsed" pictures, I probably sprayed the wheels down and rinsed 3 or 4 times but only the initial effort was agitated.  Not being real impressed with how it stuck to the wheel, or didn't stick, I tried diluting it 1:1 and it seemed to stick a little better.  So maybe the mixture of water is needed to cause a reaction and make it stick better.  It gave me hope though and I'll get them cleaned up real well in Spring.  I think I'm going to have to get a dedicated aluminum cleaner and then polish them up real good.  Next year they come off for winter.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Detailing Supply Retailer
    • Obsessive Detail
Re: CG Sticky Gel Wheel Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 03:05:50 PM »
You should try out Surf City Wheel Cleaner, I was pretty impressed by it.  The SCG is also very popular amoung some big detailers on Detailing Bliss.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 03:16:12 PM »
I actually just watched the video on the SCG website about 15 minutes ago and it looked like he was cleaning a wheel that was clean already.  Maybe it was just the camera.  It just didn't make me very confident in what it can do.  It may be great, I just don't think the video is very good.  Does it come ready to use or do you have to dilute it?  Is it dilutable at all?  It's not real important either way, seeing as it wouldn't even be an issue if I wasn't such a slacker and would have just kept up with them or swapped them in the first place.  How much is it and when could you have it to me by?  It's not a pressing matter seeing as I'm sure the weather won't be cooperating very long anyway.  You know how it is.  You get a 2 or 3 day warm strectch for every 2 or 3 weeks. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 03:35:14 PM by ESF »
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Obsessive Detail
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 03:24:25 PM »
I actually just watched the video on the SCG website about 15 minutes ago and it looked like he was cleaning a wheel that was clean already.  Mind it was just the camera.  It just didn't make me very confident in what it can do.  It may be great, I just don't think the video is very good.  Does it come ready to use or do you have to dilute it?  Is it dilutable at all?  It's not real important either way, seeing as it wouldn't even be an issue if I wasn't such a slacker and would have just kept up with them or swapped them in the first place.  How much is it and when could you have it to me by?  It's not a pressing matter seeing as I'm sure the weather won't be cooperating very long anyway.  You know how it is.  You get a 2 or 3 day warm strectch for every 2 or 3 weeks. 

Yes, it is ready to go, you don't have to dilute it.  It is $12.99 and you get 10% off of that with your member discount.  That is also for a 24 oz. bottle.  The semi is supposed to be here on Thursday.  The SCG page is ready on my website, I will probably put that up in the next couple of days.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 09:51:56 AM »
When it's ready to go, let me know.  I'll take a bottle to try.

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Obsessive Detail
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 10:12:08 AM »
Surf City products are supposed to be here today.  The SCG garage page is also up on my website now, so you can checkout the products descriptions and so on....

I also have Migliore Luxury waxes in stock now as well.  These are 15% off until Thursday, kind of an intro special.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 10:18:26 AM »
Yeah I was looking around.  I have nothing better to do with my time right now which sometimes leads to impulse decisions/buys.  My bank account directly reflects this.   :biglaugh: 

So I take it I can go ahead with the purchase on the site even though the products aren't there yet?

Edit:  I noticed something else on the site... I thought the guys wife had a problem with that? :hammer:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 10:20:06 AM by ESF »

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Obsessive Detail
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 10:30:43 AM »
Yes, the products can now be ordered on there.

They changed their mind the other day and gave me the ok on the logo!  I forgot to tell you!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 10:35:46 AM »
Awesome. 

FYI, your link to Blanton's Graphics is bad.  You have it going through your site first.  I noticed it the other day.  Little things like that bug me and I thought you might want to know.  I told you I have a lot of time on my hands.  Haha.

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Obsessive Detail
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 11:36:13 AM »
Thanks for letting me know on the link!

BTW- I just refunded your member discount back to you.  Thanks bud!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 02:33:38 PM »
I finally got a chance to wash my truck good.  Drug out the hose and foam gun and everything.  Which means I got a chance to try the SCG Beyong Steel wheel cleaner.  I didn't take any pictures though.  If I had to compare it to the CD Sticky Gel, I would say it's just a tiny bit better.  It looks like I still have my work cut out for me this spring. 

On a side not, I found that I really like the LC blue grout sponge.

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Obsessive Detail
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 05:04:11 PM »
I finally got a chance to wash my truck good.  Drug out the hose and foam gun and everything.  Which means I got a chance to try the SCG Beyong Steel wheel cleaner.  I didn't take any pictures though.  If I had to compare it to the CD Sticky Gel, I would say it's just a tiny bit better.  It looks like I still have my work cut out for me this spring. 

On a side not, I found that I really like the LC blue grout sponge.

Beyond Steel is some good stuff.  I've been pretreating all the wheels first, when it is time to do them the brake dust comes right off.  I like how it is non-acidic and won't hurt the tires, paint, or anything else it gets on.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 05:38:29 PM »
How do you go about pretreating them?  Are the wheels wet when ou apply it or dry?  How long do you generally end up leaving it on for before you remove it?I let it sit on the wheels for a few minutes before I aggitated and hosed it off.  I really think my wheels were just let go for too long.  It did remove a little of what the sticky gel didn't get.  If it doesn't rain tomorrow I might try some polish before I invest in some acidic aluminum cleaner of some sort.  We use something at work designed for aluminum.  I've used it on all of our tri-axles that have polished aluminum alcoa wheels and then polished them.  Works good.  That might be a route I end up going.

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Obsessive Detail
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 05:49:52 PM »
I just spray the wheels down and let it dwell for anyone from 30 seconds to a few minutes.  It really depends on how bad the wheels are.

I usually just apply to dry wheels.  Then I agitate with a brush.  Most of the time I use No Rinse so I don't hose the wheels down.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 11:47:21 AM »
I was playing around with one of the wheels this morning.  I tried the powerball and Optimum Metal Polish.  I went right at the heaviest spot and it took a good chunk of it off.  However, I wasn't seeing much black residue that you get when you polish aluminum.  So I did the lip of the rim and it cleaned it up some but didn't really make it shine like it should and still bery little black residue.  So I grabbed some 105 and 205 and gave 205 a shot on the powerball.  This took a lot of the crap off the wheel but didn't get it all.  It was leaving a slightly better shine.  I tried 105 and that was getting more off than anything but still some was left.  I cleaned up any residue on the wheel and quit for now.  I'm going to email pro comp and see if they're clear coated or not.  I was under the impression that they were not but I'm not sure now.

I should add that I tried clay first and it was working but would have taking a week per wheel.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 11:49:31 AM by ESF »

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal