1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: The best way to take care of my pads  (Read 16560 times)

Offline 05_sprcrw

• Café Member
The best way to take care of my pads
« on: July 01, 2008, 10:11:39 AM »
All right guys last week I broke down and bought 12 Lake country ccs pads. I was wondering the best way to maintain them. Thanks
........Dude....... Teach me!

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: The best way to take care of my pads
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 10:29:16 AM »
All right guys last week I broke down and bought 12 Lake country ccs pads. I was wondering the best way to maintain them. Thanks

I use the Murphys Oil Soap method.

Take my rinse bucket and put MO Soap in it, fill it up and soak the used pads in it for several hours...sometimes over night.  I don't think it hurts.

Then I use my fingers to get the product out...then I take them inside and rinse them in my sink....get all the water out if possible.  Then I take it one step further, I put them back on the DA or Flex and spin them in the bucket and get water out...then place them on a towel to air dry.

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline 05_sprcrw

• Café Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 10:42:36 AM »
Sounds good, Thanks

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 10:47:07 AM »
There are other ways and some specific pad cleaning chemicals to use but they seem to be pretty harsh on the lungs...so I went this way.   Lots of ways to skin a cat here...but i think the Murphys' is pretty good. 

Offline DnD Auto Detailing

• Professional Detailer
    • D&D Auto Detailing
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 04:16:15 PM »
You want to make sure whatever you're using wont leave something behind that will interact with the polish. I just used MF wash.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 04:22:44 PM »
You want to make sure whatever you're using wont leave something behind that will interact with the polish. I just used MF wash.

What do you mean Dan?  Like Micro Restorer in the washing machine or same similar process for cleaning MF's.

Man I am leaning a ton of new stuff this week.   

Still waiting on your 50/50 write up...hint hint.  :NW:

Offline 05_sprcrw

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 04:34:28 PM »
Yep I am waiting for a 50/50 write up as well. I have herd of it would like to try it but dont know how to do it..... Story of my life...  ;D

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 04:38:40 PM »
Yep I am waiting for a 50/50 write up as well. I have herd of it would like to try it but dont know how to do it..... Story of my life...  ;D

Its a step I have known about but never done b.c I haven't learn't it yet.   Ready to give it whirl on the next go around...just need a push...Dan, Rock...Boss...   

Offline FireFighter

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 05:36:05 PM »
If you're not careful I am going to try it myself, jack something up, then come begging you for help...

Honestly, DnD has told me how to do it, and at the time, I didnt buy into it... The more I read (and the more I understand the reasons behind it-- namely the posts on this new forum) and hear about it, the more I am ready to try it out on the next detail I do...

Does any good quality MF (something like ADS MF's) work fine for this? You using a spray bottle for it?

Thanks!!!
"Destroy all that which is evil, So that which is good may Flourish" (BDS)

Offline cufootn

• Café Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 09:45:37 PM »
I THINK the 50-50 is just that. I spray and wipe of alcohol and water wiped with a MF. I think it removes all the fillers so it tells you if you've corrected or filled?????

Offline DnD Auto Detailing

• Professional Detailer
    • D&D Auto Detailing
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 10:17:17 PM »

What do you mean Dan?  Like Micro Restorer in the washing machine or same similar process for cleaning MF's.

Man I am leaning a ton of new stuff this week.   

Still waiting on your 50/50 write up...hint hint.  :NW:

Well you dont really want anything with stuff like optical brighteners. Or some degreasers leave behind a "protective" coating. Those things can react with polishes and cause several problems. I use to use and recommend Woolite, but it does have optical brighteners in it. It never really caused me any problems. But better safe then sorry, so I just use MF wash now. I just mix some MF wash in a spray bottle. Rinse the pads with warm water first, spray on the MF wash, agitate with a soft brush, rinse thoroughly. Then spin dry on machine, or let air dry, make sure the pad is face down.

Ill get a thread up about the alcohol ASAP. Ive got some great pictures.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 10:25:12 PM by DnD Auto Detailing »

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 10:22:44 PM »
Ok, must making sure I was following you on this one.

Makes sense now.

RR

Offline 05_sprcrw

• Café Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 07:14:48 AM »
Well that sounds like a pretty good idea thanks for all those who have helped clear this up for me. I have read about a 100 different ways to clean pads, but I take the ones from here a whole lot more seriously.

Offline tdr6874

• Professional Detailer
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 11:50:57 PM »
once they are used, do not seal them in anything air tight...they will mildew....when i get new pads i cut along the pressed seam making the bag as large as possible, when done i like to place the pad back in the original bag and just fold the cut end over and let the pad rest and close upon itself.  this is more than likely bad but i like to let the pad dry with product that was last used on that pad stay in the pad until next time....once i break it out i spur the bone dry pad to release the wax...easy to spur a pad on rotary to clean not sure about da....i prime the pad with two three squirts of a QD message in with hand....then apply the product to the pad then go to town....i have a number of pads, i do not mix products in the same pad ever...once a glaze has kissed the pad, that pad will only be used for that glaze...heavy cut compund pad, no matter how clean i think it is, i will not use a finer cut on the same pad...pads are too cheap in my opinion to not make one product per pad standard for your detailings (you can write in a sharpie on the back of the pad what product is used on that particular pad).  if you are using three pads between 5 products...you might need say like 8 pads to cover all the pad/possible product combination that you would need, i use 3m ultrafina as last step of machine work...there is only one pad that i will ever spin that on...i would not need to buy a med or heavy cut pad for that product.....

Offline Sean

• Café Member
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 03:18:25 PM »
Hey guys, sorry for bringing up this old thread.  I had some questions about clean the pads after use. 
1) What is MF wash and is this the best method for cleaning the pads? 
2) What is the best way to store the pads after cleaning them?

Sorry if these are dumb question - still a virgin, but am learnin!

* Recent Photos

100_1927.JPG

Views: 3
By: BigSur

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal