April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Dewalt VS Makita  (Read 15273 times)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Dewalt VS Makita
« on: January 23, 2009, 02:52:44 PM »
So was looking at the specs

Dewalt is 1000-3000 RPMS
Makita is 600-3000
Flex is 1100-3700 with no load

My question is, if you have a Makita, do you ever use below 1000? 

If so why not use a DA ?

Just trying to figure out if I want to keep this Dewalt 849 I picked up or take it back and get the Makita. 

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: Dewalt VS Makita
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 03:05:02 PM »
I've seen a lot of people like to run their machine pretty slow.  I don't know how slow they're referring to though when they say that.  And it's my understanding that it's only with certain products.  If you were to use it that slow and wanted to apply any kind of pressure, that wouldn't be possible with the DA because of the clutch.  That said, Amazon has a good deal on the Makita right now.  $179.25 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-9227CX3-Electronic-Sander-Polisher-Polishing/dp/B0001GUE8Q/ref=pd_cp_hi_0?pf_rd_p=413863601&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0000223IZ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1X5DJJNT1KKC6DAER8RJ
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 03:07:14 PM by ESF »
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Poorboy

• Detailing Supply Retailer
    • Poorboy's World Detailing Products
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 03:13:39 PM »
I don't think the Makita is built that well ...i have one and spent a fortune to fix the damn cheap gear.   I know a few people ... the Hitachi gets good reviews and has the best warranty ... the Dewalt is better than the Makita for durability, Porter Cable makes a nice rotary too. For the big bucks, the Metabo is one of the best on the high end.   Milwaukee also make a nice machine, but it's a little heavier.  I had a Milwaukee and it lasted better than 10 years without problems ... hard choices and it's too bad there aren't many or any stores that have all of them available to hold and try out
life is short ..do it while you can
www.poorboysworld.com
www.ultrafinish.com/store  (**new microfiber only site)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 03:18:18 PM »
Hmm.  I actually haven't heard any bad things about the Makita until just now.  It's always been given praise. 
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Poorboy

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 03:19:41 PM »
maybe mine is a fluke but what if it's not  :rant:
www.poorboysworld.com

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 03:22:43 PM »
I don't have any first hand experience with any of them so heck if I know.   :slam:

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 03:34:47 PM »
I don't think the Makita is built that well ...i have one and spent a fortune to fix the damn cheap gear.   I know a few people ... the Hitachi gets good reviews and has the best warranty ... the Dewalt is better than the Makita for durability, Porter Cable makes a nice rotary too. For the big bucks, the Metabo is one of the best on the high end.   Milwaukee also make a nice machine, but it's a little heavier.  I had a Milwaukee and it lasted better than 10 years without problems ... hard choices and it's too bad there aren't many or any stores that have all of them available to hold and try out

I am little suprised to hear that. I have held both Makita and the DeWalt and I thought the DeWalt felt cheaper to me which was a little suprising because I own all DeWalt power tools and I stock them in 6 of our 7 stores.
Good enough never is

Offline Poorboy

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 03:37:54 PM »
we had to replace the main gear which stripped after 4 uses ..then the casing cracked trying to put it back together. We waited 2 months for Makita to send us a new casing  :smack:
www.poorboysworld.com

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 03:40:32 PM »
Now I am wondering if I made the right decision on a rotory. I guess time will tell and I am not going to be doing alot of details with mine but we shall see.
Good enough never is

Offline Poorboy

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 03:48:35 PM »
Now I am wondering if I made the right decision on a rotory. I guess time will tell and I am not going to be doing alot of details with mine but we shall see.

Like I said, maybe mine is a fluke ... but I have friends with Hitachi's and they swear they are the best they've used and for the money you can't beat them ...disclaimer ..i have no stock or interest ..nor do i sell any rotarys  :rn:
www.poorboysworld.com

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Obsessive Detail
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 04:03:33 PM »
I've been using a Hitachi rotary for a couple of years now and I love it.  My first rotary was a Dewalt, it was a workhorse, but very heavy.  The Hitachi is lightweight and the handle is positioned perfect for me.  The Hitachi also has a 5 year warranty with it as well.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 06:16:19 PM »

What did you buy?

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline hwm3

• Café Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 06:36:12 PM »
I've had my Makita for a few months now without any issues. Hopefully it stays that way.

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 07:33:10 PM »

What did you buy?

I picked up a Makita this fall.
Good enough never is

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 07:55:49 PM »
My Makita died about two years ago, and I wanted to try something different, so I picked up a DeWalt.  I really like the Dewalt ..

I had no issues with my Makita .. it was just old and tired,and I was looking for a change.

my only complaint about the Dewalt is it can be a little heavy if you are using it all day.  it is a very nice machine, and I am pleased with it.
================

Doug

* Recent Photos

IMG_1637.JPG

Views: 9
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal