General Category > General Discussion

What do you do?

(1/11) > >>

Val3ntin0:
I'm bored and at work when a thought came across my mind, "What do the OCD'ers and other detailing-minded people on the forums do for a living?" Now obviously, there are a few professional detailers here but what do others do? Even if you're a professional detailer let us know and maybe tell us what your favorite vehicles are to work on. I'll start:

I'm a young electrical engineer that designs electrical generation and distribution systems for oil and gas facilities. My favorite ones to design are for offshore platforms as those are what we refer to as "island generation", meaning there are no outside power utilities tied in so it has to sustain itself via large turbine or diesel generators.

I don't play  :golf: but I do like  :fight: and  :beer:

Rollingrock:
sure, but when I tell people what I do I get blank stares....so here goes.

I am the Partner Development Manager for the SW and SE BU's for IBM Softwaregroup, Information on Demand, Responsible for Cognos Business Intelligence and Enterprise Planning, AKA CPM.

Ok....so that means.

I work for IBM in the Software Group, in the division that was recently bought by IBM called Cognos.  (Where i have worked for 5 years)

My role is to work with the resellers that sell our products.   I recruit, train, educate, motivate, act as liaison for them to the company and often I am looked at as a lobbyist for both the reseller and the company.  A mediator if you will for problems that come up in some sales cycles.   I do travel a lot and that is the downside.   

Spare time, we camp a lot and I train and sometimes race bicycles competitively (When I am not fat) I also happen to a CPP, (Certified Professional Photographer) but having shot for money in years.  Just have the cert still. 

How's that? 

;D

Man I need to add some more icons...

PWR KAT:
RR, I am surprised to say that I do know what you are talking about.  I also get blank stares when trying to describe my vocation. 

I am a Network engineer for Sprint on the IT (Information Technology) side and not our revenue network.  I have dealt with Cisco network equipment and others, but now perform QA (quality assurance) to work being performed by peers.  Have now also dived into new tool called Asset Center by HP.  Glad I have funding complete and know that job is somewhat safe.

I don't take my work home and don't even sign onto PC when not at work, so you will only catch me logged in during breaks.

I was an avid scratch golfer until old football injuries (knee/elbow) started making game not as enjoyable.  Most of my spare time is now spent traveling to see 7 grandkids from Georgia to Iowa.  I am the son of high school PE teachers/coaches, so sports is in my blood.  I also have been involved as high school PA announcer for past 18 years.  Love being the voice of our small community during sporting events!   ;D       

Center Stage Auto Detailing:
Talk about blank stares!  LOL  I tell people and some actuallly call me a liar.

I'm an elementary music teacher.  Just think 550 impressionable children ages 5 - 12 exposed to my excentricities on a regular basis.  bwahaha

Zaairman:
I'm a full time student.  While at school, my paying jobs are as a waiter at a damn good steak house and also as a handyman for a local land developer where I do anything from brush hogging to painting to waxing his boats.  When away from school, I'm an intern at a structural steel fabrication company, which is also the parent company of MANY other companies (granite counter tops, steel piping, wood floors, real estate, etc).  My jobs there range from OSHA stuff to project management to field testing to weld procedures.  Little bit of everything really.  In my spare time, I try to be on my boat as much as possible.  Seeing as how the river is way flooded right now, that hasn't happened much this year.   :rant:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version