March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Poorboy's Wheel Sealant  (Read 5075 times)

Offline Val3ntin0

• Charter Member
Poorboy's Wheel Sealant
« on: June 30, 2008, 01:16:15 PM »
What are your opinions on this product?

I have used it once and quite honestly, from a brake dust perspective, it didn't help jack squat. I do confess I only applied one coat as opposed to the "recommended" 2-3 but due to a time constraint I had to opt out for only 1. Do you think if I did 2-3 it would actually help slow the brake dust build-up on the wheels or is this a waste of my time?

Note: Wheels are FX2 stock 18"s

Offline DnD Auto Detailing

• Professional Detailer
    • D&D Auto Detailing
Re: Poorboy's Wheel Sealant
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 01:20:29 PM »
Use any paint sealant instead.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 01:44:24 PM »
Honestly its one of the few PB products I don't have and use.  I wash my truck so often that keeping the wheels clean is just part of the routine for me so I have never felt compelled to try it. 

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline cufootn

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 09:10:16 PM »
I happen to like it. I put a layer of NXT2.0 on then the wheel sealant. Brake dust and road crap seams to wash right off. I use wheel brightner when washing also.

Offline Boss_429

• Professional Detailer
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 06:40:59 AM »
Once a year, I like to remove the wheels, clean, polish, and add some protection. Usually, I use PB's Wheel Sealant. Does it help? I don't know... sure can't hurt.   ;D

Anyhow, after that first full wheel detail, like RR and most of the folks in here, I wash my vehicle frequently, so frequently waxing probably isn't necessary. What I like to do is occasionally use some Mothers FX Spray Wax on the wheels. After I wash and dry the vehicle and wheels, I mist on a little of the Spray Wax, and give the wheel a quick buffing. That adds a little "bling", and it seems to make cleaning the wheels even easier.
Boss_429

Least aggressive product first = The MOST aggressive process (product/pad/machine speed) that will get the job done by removing the LEAST amount of paint, with the LEAST amount of work, in the LEAST amount of time.

Offline Val3ntin0

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 07:31:26 AM »
Thanks for the input guys, I guess I was just expecting too much.

Offline DnD Auto Detailing

• Professional Detailer
    • D&D Auto Detailing
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 10:12:42 AM »
I happen to like it. I put a layer of NXT2.0 on then the wheel sealant. Brake dust and road crap seams to wash right off. I use wheel brightner when washing also.

You will ruin your rims if you use Wheel Brightener frequently. Its also pointless to use a wheel cleaner if you protect your rims properly. All you should need is regular car soap and water.

Offline Rockpick

• Administrator
  • The Final Detail - Henderson, KY
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 11:39:44 AM »
I couldn't agree with Dan more on this topic...

If you're taking good care of your wheels, products like Wheel Brightener and other wheel cleaners really shouldn't be necessary.

Most of the 'bulk' wheel cleaners (like WB) are made to be used in a 'bulk' setting - that being a cleanup shop at a stealership or at a bulk wash where some vehicles are coming in trashed and the owners expect perfection for $2.50 out the other end of the tunnel.  In short, they're pretty concentrated chemicals and are very aggressive.

My personal opinion is that anyone taking good care of a vehicle should NEVER have to use a wheel cleaner type of product and that a dedicated bucket/mitt/smaller sponge (spokes and such) should be MORE than adequate to maintain.  Additionally, like Boss mentioned, I like to hit my wheels ever so often with something like #21 or Optimum Spray to really restore that bling 'pop'...

As easy as it is these days to smack a quick coat of something on them (what does it take?  Maybe 20 mins to do all four wheels really well?), why not just give them the works on occasion and use a lesser chemical (standard shampoo & water) to maintain them?
Now With Scrubbing Bubbles...

Offline FireFighter

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 03:55:21 PM »
Hmmm... Just got to this one...

Since NXT 2.0 came out, I had a stock of regular NXT that wasnt getting used... that became my wheel sealant. I like it. But, like RP, RR, Boss, and TONS of others, I wash frequently and use standard car soap and water. I have used cleaners before, but those typically get reserved for the wash/wax customer who has crappy looking rims (ie: ill-maintained)

Boss- thats a GREAT tip about the spray wax-- I am going to have to try that out. Thanks!

"Destroy all that which is evil, So that which is good may Flourish" (BDS)

Offline cufootn

• Café Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 04:33:09 PM »
I use WB very diluted and maybe once a month when they are really dirty. Other wise, pressure washer and soap.

* Recent Photos

IMG_0298.JPG

Views: 3
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal