March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Megs Wheel Brightener... Amazing!  (Read 13460 times)

Offline andrewc_11890

• Café Member
    • My High School Forum
Megs Wheel Brightener... Amazing!
« on: December 27, 2008, 03:45:17 AM »
So my brother is moving to Arkansas so I decided to detail his car before he drives over (it is sitting right now waiting for the NXT to cure) but I decided to use meguiars wheel brightener on his rims (he drives an 06 Mustang). They are the stock ones, and I'm not positive what they are made out of but it appears that the outer corners are possibly polished aluminum, but holy cow! My brother comes out and says what the heck did you do to my wheels?! They didn't look that shiny when I got the car from the dealership.

I have used wheel brightener on all my customers cars that I detail during the summer, but most of their wheels have been the typical stock wheel that isn't exposed metal (if you  get what I am saying) or they have just been chrome. I have never done a polished aluminum, but for the record, wheel brightener does a great job on it (if that is what the wheels are.)

I am bummed I didn't get any before pictures but I'll get some after pictures of the car and wheels tomorrow once I finish putting two coats of 26 on the car (2 coats of NXT with 2 coats of 26 on top of that will protect his car from the drive from california haha  :hs: )

Offline hwm3

• Café Moderator
Re: Megs Wheel Brightener... Amazing!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 10:38:10 AM »
That's good to know. I just bought a gallon to try out.  :thumbsiup:

What part of Arkansas is he headed to?

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 11:15:11 AM »
I wnte to try this stuff out after seeing someone on another forum use it with great success on the inside of some pretty bad wheels.  It sudsed up pretty good too when it was agitated.  Is sudsed a word?
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline andrewc_11890

• Café Member
    • My High School Forum
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 10:46:49 PM »
Unfortunately I didn't take before pictures  :slam: because I didn't think it would look like this after (I wish I would have realized I had a smudge on my camera lens, that is why it is a little fuzzy) but the stuff works great on taking off heavy grime and brightening up wheels. One thing however is that when you spray it on the wheel be sure to check where the wind is blowing that way you don't have it spray back into your face. The stuff is extremely strong even when diluted and I have had to wash my eyes and  mouth out a few times. To add, since it is so strong you should order the chemical resistant sprayer and after each use take it out, spray the excess in the bottle and squirt water through the sprayer or else the chemicals will eat through the sprayer, I have ruined a few from forgetting to do so. I wouldn't use it on your car every week but in detailing others cars it works well since their cars probably don't see too wheel cleaner. Here is a pic

Offline Rockpick

• Administrator
  • The Final Detail - Henderson, KY
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 03:30:46 PM »
I've simply never found a wheel cleaner that was worth a 'flip'.  While I have tried WB, it was when it was in its infancy (ie: when Meg's was bringing the D-line back 'in house' back around 2004).  Maybe I need to snare a sampler from Rick again and give it another go...
Now With Scrubbing Bubbles...

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 10:27:40 PM »
don't think I have ever tried it ..     

sounds like it might be worth giving it a shot
================

Doug

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 10:31:54 PM »
I would love to use something over APC+ as it makes me nervous about getting APC on other things...like my hands...

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Rockpick

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 10:45:40 PM »
You're using APC+ on wheels?!?   :puke:

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 10:51:25 PM »
You're using APC+ on wheels?!?   :puke:

No, using APC+ on tires, but it gets on wheels...

:hammer:

Offline andrewc_11890

• Café Member
    • My High School Forum
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 02:38:50 AM »
Why do you get nervous about APC on wheels, just because it would remove any wax? Because Wheel brightener is pretty strong and I doubt it would leave any wax behind that was previously on the wheels.

Offline Rockpick

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 07:33:33 AM »
Very different types of cleaners...  Don't have any time to post at the moment but, they're just very different types of cleaners (& I've seen APC splotch paint on more than one occasion).

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 09:53:57 AM »
I used APC+ on my wheels all the time. It did a good job and after using it every weekend for 7 or 8 months didn't see any ill effects. I wouldn't dare get it on the paint though.

I thought it was ok...  :thump:

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 10:08:26 AM »
I have been using APC+ for awhile but every time i get the stuff out I do get nervous, I have seen it first hand pardon the pun, remove skin from my hands, not to mention remove all the wax or LSP off the rocker panels by getting wind blown...

I am a fan of APC+, no doubt but if there is a different cleaner that is more "safe" on wheels I am going to start using it or at least try it out. 

My neighbor has been building up his detail products, he has APC+ and just the other day told me he said he though the finish off his Chrome Lincoln wheels was coming off in spots. That made question how he was using it.  I told him to stop using it on the wheels and only apply to wells and tires or cut the hell out of it

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 10:18:44 AM »
Maybe we got a different formula JP. My APC+ smells rather rank, but it's pretty tame I think. Similar to SG but with more power, if that makes sense?

I'm not sure. Hmmmm

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 10:37:04 AM »
Maybe we got a different formula JP. My APC+ smells rather rank, but it's pretty tame I think. Similar to SG but with more power, if that makes sense?

I'm not sure. Hmmmm

No, i go through a lot of it...so its not a batch thing...maybe I am not making it clear.  APC+ is way to strong so I may just cut the hell out of it...still going to get the wheel brightner stuff on my next drive into dallas.

* Recent Photos

IMG_3185.JPG

Views: 1
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal