Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Noob wheel protection question  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Stealth

• Charter Member
  • Rookie
Noob wheel protection question
« on: June 30, 2008, 12:29:37 AM »
I just got some 22x9.5 Boss 313 wheels with Yokohoma Parada Spec-X tires 305/40/22 for my 05 F150 supercrew today. They are used, but well cared for by the previous owner.

I am going to the Texas coast in a couple of weeks, Port Aransas to be exact, and I will be driving on the beach for six days or so with my truck.

My question is this. What is the best method of protecting the new to me rims from any sort of salt damage if any? I already read the Basic Detailing Handbook provided here (Thanks guys!) and am wondering if any of you have any tried and true ways to protect the wheel's surface from salt and sand damage.

Thanks in advance.

Below is a pic.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: Noob wheel protection question
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 12:49:22 AM »
Those are nice wheels....ok, I do not claim to be a wheel expert here but if you are going to be there only for 6 days, the "salt spray" if you will would be my last concern.  Driving in the the deep sand and getting that on your wheels would be real concern.  Salt spray for that amount of days is no problem, wash off the wheels when you get home. 

Rule of thumb for sand is to lower your air pressure a bit but with those lower profile wheels and tires, not sure you can do with the same results.  I wouldn't want to be deeper than the profile of the tires and have sand on the wheels themselves.  If that is a problem, maybe keep your current wheels on for the trip. 

Anyone else have some suggestions? 

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Stealth

• Charter Member
  • Rookie
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 12:59:22 AM »
Well, this is a pic of how my truck used to look a few years ago and you can see the beach is very well kept and groomed daily by earth movers. The upper part is basically a sand road packed by traffic. Deep sand is not a problem.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 01:02:54 AM »
Shoot in that case, I would just hose them down good and wash them with a good car soap when you get home.  Heck if you wanted to stop by the local pull through qtr washer, just wash your wheels and wells with the power wand, then drive back home.  Should be just fine either way.

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Stealth

• Charter Member
  • Rookie
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 01:06:36 AM »
Otherwise, is there a sort of wheel wax or polish that would serve some sort of protection? Preventative maintenance if you will? I've never had such nice rims before on any of my vehicles, I'd like to keep them that way. ;)

Offline DnD Auto Detailing

• Professional Detailer
    • D&D Auto Detailing
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 11:05:46 AM »
I dont live by the beach, so I dont really need protection from salt/ sand. But Id recommend DG 105 to protect the rims.

Offline Stealth

• Charter Member
  • Rookie
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
Thanks, 3D.

Offline FireFighter

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 03:59:05 PM »
I'd say use a normal sealant (usually they're cheaper than investing in a wheel sealant) like NXT, #21, or what 3D mentioned.

As RR said, there is no need to wory with that sand your truck is pictured in. Just when you wash the paint and rims, be ESPECIALLY careful to not get sand ingrained in the mitt-- that would THRASH your paint/rims...

The qtr washer power wand is what I was going to reccommend, too...only RR beat me to it...
"Destroy all that which is evil, So that which is good may Flourish" (BDS)

* Recent Photos

IMG_2677.JPG

Views: 1
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal