Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 [29] 30

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: KR leather  (Read 15125 times)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: KR leather
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 10:49:06 AM »
pics?

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Rockpick

• Administrator
  • The Final Detail - Henderson, KY
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 03:25:08 PM »
Hey Rock would you use the same plan of attack for a new 450 KR?

If I'm not mistaken, the KR 450 hasn't been around for more than a year or two thus, it's chapparal leather.  Further, the chapparal leather isn't going to show the dirt nearly as bad as Castano.

To be 100% honest, I've not worke don chapparal leather but, knowing that it's still an aniline hide, my procedure would likely be identical (that is, pending that the leather is grungy).

-RP-
Now With Scrubbing Bubbles...

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
I thought the F450KR was new to this year along with the Cabelas edition?

All this Castano and Chapparal, aniline and non aniline makes my head hurt.  How does the method for cleaning non-aniline leather compare to that of aniline?  I assume that if the KR has aniline that my 02 Expedition XLT has non-aniline.  Also, how much of the seat is actually leather on something like my Expedition?  I've heard before that the sides and back are a vinyl rather than leather.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rockpick

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 05:36:39 PM »
I thought the F450KR was new to this year along with the Cabelas edition?

Correct.  I should've clarified that...

All this Castano and Chapparal, aniline and non aniline makes my head hurt.  How does the method for cleaning non-aniline leather compare to that of aniline?  I assume that if the KR has aniline that my 02 Expedition XLT has non-aniline.  Also, how much of the seat is actually leather on something like my Expedition?  I've heard before that the sides and back are a vinyl rather than leather.

Lariat Leather = non-aniline (coated).

Cleaning would be very similar but, one could utilize more 'aggressive' chemicals.  The clear coating on the leather will be quite durable versus having no coating.

For coated leathers, I've been known to use the baby soap trick but, more often than not, I'll use a very dilute APC+ (like 30:1) or a 'over the counter' cleaner of some variety.

As for the backs and sides; I think what you said is generally correct.  The single middle butt and back panels are leather and the rest is pleather.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 08:45:11 PM »
Does the warm towel trick have much affect on coated leather?  I've never tried it before but I will if it will help. 
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rockpick

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 07:56:34 PM »
It certainly wouldn't hurt the cause but, being that the coated leather is much more resiliant, I'd default more towards chemical cleaning versus water cleaning...

I like the water trick becasue it really seems to loosen the dirt on aniline.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 09:44:27 PM »
Gotcha.  Wasn't sure if it would help open the pores a bit to aid in conditioning.

Offline slopjock78

• Café Member
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 01:47:05 PM »
ok, so i know this post is super old, but my question relates pretty directly to the topic. 

so, i'm gonna help my brother in law detail his '08 Expedition Eddy Bauer.  i was wondering what kind of leather the EB's have in them so i make sure not to screw them up.  I dont know all that much about leather, but to me it seems like pretty high quality stuff....

any help would be appreciated!!

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 01:52:18 PM »
ok, so i know this post is super old, but my question relates pretty directly to the topic. 

so, i'm gonna help my brother in law detail his '08 Expedition Eddy Bauer.  i was wondering what kind of leather the EB's have in them so i make sure not to screw them up.  I dont know all that much about leather, but to me it seems like pretty high quality stuff....

any help would be appreciated!!

EB leather is no different than Lariat leather but with EB stitching on it. 

Treat normally, The megs 2 step is pretty good...Poorboys Leather Stuff is my fav for regular leather.  Leather CPR doesn't really do much for that type of leather so you can skip it.  It does make it more "slick" so if they lack that, you can apply L-CPR after you clean and treat the seats.

Also you could use Leather Masters cleaner and then treat with Leather Masters leather Vital.  Also very good stuff but kind of pricey. 

I do like the leather masters cleaners...they have 2...regular and strong.  You'll need a horse hair brush to agitate the cleaner to a foam.   I keep one just for leather.  They work well b/c they are soft.  Allow the product to dwell and then wipe away, apply conditioner or protectant. 

RP can give you tons more details on leather care than me...just wanted to give you my .05 worth which I have learned from RP and DnD

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

* Recent Photos

IMG_5745.JPG

Views: 1
By: hwm3

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal