1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Looking for a good camera  (Read 12475 times)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: Looking for a good camera
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 07:42:24 PM »
I like my Canon XT, would love to get my hands on the 40D.

I am trying to find a good used 5D Canon.

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Mike2301

• Café Member
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 07:35:08 AM »
I read the 40d isn't worth it because there's only a certain lense you can use or something like that? They say if you step up to the next one you can just alot more.
A Perfect Shine Everytime!

Offline DnD Auto Detailing

• Professional Detailer
    • D&D Auto Detailing
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 09:35:33 AM »
I am trying to find a good used 5D Canon.

Have you looked on fredmiranda.com?

I read the 40d isn't worth it because there's only a certain lense you can use or something like that? They say if you step up to the next one you can just alot more.

Where did you read that? Pretty sure that isnt true.

Offline Mike2301

• Café Member
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 05:38:55 PM »
I read some more

Wisely, Nikon stopped looking back and built the D40 for the future. Past cameras have been shackled to the idea of maintaining backward compatibility with dozens of previous lenses. The D50 and D80 both include screw-type couplings to connect a body-mounted autofocus motor to lenses built for Nikon's first body-integrated autofocus system, introduced on the N2020 (F501) back in April 1986. The D40 leaves support for this old AF method behind in favor of the original AF concept Nikon introduced with 1983's F3AF, where the focusing motor is built into the lens. Hence the Nikon D40 will only autofocus with newer AF-S type lenses.

Those who still want to use legacy lenses, many of which are still in the Nikon lineup, should opt for the D50, D70, or D80. Note that you can still use older lenses with the Nikon D40 if you're okay with manual focus. The D40 can still control aperture on lenses marked D and G, and it will illuminate the AF points when focus is achieved. For more complete detail on this relatively complex issue, see the Optics section of this review.

Nikon D40    Nikon D200
What's missing from the D40 is the physical coupling you see on the Nikon D200's mount at right. This makes it compatible with lenses that use Nikon's 20-year-old AF drive mechanism that makes more noise than the current AF-S system used by the D40.

Sounds like that wouldn't apply to most of todays photographers. I came across it when i was trying to find a crystal clear lense made by nikon? It goes over the lense of the camera like a hood and helps alot. Still haven't found it

Offline DnD Auto Detailing

• Professional Detailer
    • D&D Auto Detailing
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 07:55:35 PM »
40D is Canon, D40 is Nikon. I was talking about the Canon 40D.

Offline Mike2301

• Café Member
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 10:23:20 PM »
Gotcha. My bad i'm still learning, just thought i would point it out.  :laugh:

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 11:27:01 AM »
Thought I'd bring this back.  With the Nikon D90 out for a bit now, the D80 can be head for a decent price with decent kit lenses (so I've read).  I've been looking in to it a lot and doing a lot of reading up on what all the specs mean on these cameras so I don't buy something that's not right for me.  This stuff is expensive.  Most lenses can't be had for less than $600 while most are way over that.  So I think what I'm looking at is a D80 with an 18-55mm VR lense and a 55-200mm VR lense.  Both have gotten good reviews especially for kit lenses.  Also a spare battery just incase I should need it.  At $40, better safe than sorry I think.  Two class 6 Sandisk 2gb memory cards.  Now the point to this post.  I think I found a bag.  I want a backpack type bag that I can access while it's on my shoulder so I've looking at getting the Lowepro   SlingShot 100 AW Camera Bag.  Now the other thing... a tripod.  These things are rediculously expensive.  I would have never guessed they cost this much.  So do any of you SLR guys use a tripod.  I know it has to be sturdy and the head needs to be able to support the weight of the camera and lense so it doesn't sag.  I've also read that some of them are a pain to disconnect the camera from as well.  I'm going nuts.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 12:12:06 PM »
I definitely recommend the extra battery. I've found myself just shooting away and not realizing my battery was about to die. Always nice having a back up.

As for a tripod, I always like the kind that have the removable plate where you attach the camera. Simply detach the plate and unscrew it, or if you plan to go back to the pod in a few shots, detach and leave it on there til you're ready for it again. I've only ever had cheapo tripods, so I can't really give any advice as to whats a good one. Mine works for what it is, some 30$ whiz bang thing from best buy.

Also helps to have a remote shutter type thing, or at least a delay when taking shots from a pod. I find myself using my hand way too much when pressing the button, effectively ruining what could've been a good still shot. I typically use my delay timer when taking night shots and such.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 12:25:02 PM »
That's funny.  I JUST added a remote to my order.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Mike2301

• Café Member
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 07:08:37 PM »
Thought I'd bring this back.  With the Nikon D90 out for a bit now, the D80 can be head for a decent price with decent kit lenses (so I've read).  I've been looking in to it a lot and doing a lot of reading up on what all the specs mean on these cameras so I don't buy something that's not right for me.  This stuff is expensive.  Most lenses can't be had for less than $600 while most are way over that.  So I think what I'm looking at is a D80 with an 18-55mm VR lense and a 55-200mm VR lense.  Both have gotten good reviews especially for kit lenses.  Also a spare battery just incase I should need it.  At $40, better safe than sorry I think.  Two class 6 Sandisk 2gb memory cards.  Now the point to this post.  I think I found a bag.  I want a backpack type bag that I can access while it's on my shoulder so I've looking at getting the Lowepro   SlingShot 100 AW Camera Bag.  Now the other thing... a tripod.  These things are rediculously expensive.  I would have never guessed they cost this much.  So do any of you SLR guys use a tripod.  I know it has to be sturdy and the head needs to be able to support the weight of the camera and lense so it doesn't sag.  I've also read that some of them are a pain to disconnect the camera from as well.  I'm going nuts.

I use a velbon cx440 when i need it

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 08:19:49 PM »
I'm looking at the Velbon Ultra LUXi-L Tripod with PHD-41Q.  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/589888-REG/Velbon_ULTRA_LUXIL_Ultra_LUXi_L_Tripod_with.html#specifications

It folds down to 15" and has a maximum height of 63".  A little taller would be nice.  Weighs just under 3 lbs.  That's nice.  And it's pretty cheap considering what's out there.

Offline FireFighter

• Charter Member
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 02:50:20 AM »
<snip> I'm no expert photographer by any means, but I don't have any problems capturing defects with it. <snip>

That said, I'll never use one to take pics of MY truck....  :biglaugh:
"Destroy all that which is evil, So that which is good may Flourish" (BDS)

Offline Mike2301

• Café Member
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
I picked up a muse lensbaby today. Pretty neat little toy

Offline todbnla

• Café Member
    • My cars
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2009, 03:59:13 PM »
I have the Canon Rebel Xt myself, just ordered another lens as the kits lens is so so, I ordered a Sigma 17-70mm. What lens do you guys use with your Rebel Xt?  :cam:

Offline Old Dogg™

• Café Member
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2009, 05:28:27 PM »
I'm looking at the Velbon Ultra LUXi-L Tripod with PHD-41Q.  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/589888-REG/Velbon_ULTRA_LUXIL_Ultra_LUXi_L_Tripod_with.html#specifications

It folds down to 15" and has a maximum height of 63".  A little taller would be nice.  Weighs just under 3 lbs.  That's nice.  And it's pretty cheap considering what's out there.
kVelbon makes very good reasonably priced tripods.  Unless you are going to be beating it up and abusing it traveling I will hold up well.
I prefer tamrac bags.  been using them for years.  The have a line of backpacks that hold cameras and laptops.
http://www.tamrac.com/
You can make money or you can make excuses but you can't do both.

* Recent Photos

Mustang8.jpg

Views: 1
By: hwm3

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal