Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: VisionX Halogen Headlight / Foglight Bulbs  (Read 6107 times)

Offline Val3ntin0

• Charter Member
VisionX Halogen Headlight / Foglight Bulbs
« on: September 29, 2008, 05:25:44 PM »
 :danger:

This is more of a product review....and unfortunately for VisionX a bad one...

I bought these bulbs from ModBargains for both the headlights and foglights for my truck. They were a bit pricey but I gave in due to a tax refund. Well, what can I say, I got burned. Let's start with the good...The light output was ok, similar to stock but the white light was very nice. I was pleased.

Now for the bad... Four months after installing them, one headlight went out. Fine, I'll contact the distributor and see if they have warranty. Sure enough, I bought the factory wattage bulbs (they have a higher one too) that carries a lifetime warranty. So I thought great, send me a new one. Well, now they said that it will be $8.50 for shipping a replacement.... Ok, fine, I paid up. Later the next day I'm informed I need to send in the dead bulb to VisionX. So by this time I'm getting very annoyed. The day before I am going to send it off (it was a weekend) the other headlight bulb goes out.  Now I have a PAIR of VisionX bulbs that have failed. One bulb can be a fluke...but two is ridiculous and only shows the lack of quality. I contacted the distributor saying I want my money back and to not expect the bulbs to be sent in for replacement as I do not want anything to do with their sh*t.

Morale of this story: AVOID VISIONX!!! 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: VisionX Halogen Headlight / Foglight Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 06:28:16 PM »
I had good luck with Syviana's...much brighter than stock but yet not HID to anoy the crap out of the other drivers.

Guess I don't know much about VisionX, but I don't care to know them now.

Sorry about that, sucks.

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Val3ntin0

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 10:52:11 PM »
Yea, I've had Sylvania Silverstars in all my previous vehicles and they were always pretty good. Once in a while one would die extremely quick but you just went to Autozone and they replace it right there on the spot. These, well, not so much. I may go the HID bixenon way or back to the Silverstars. I'll decide that whenever my stock bulbs die. I should have quite a bit of time.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 10:57:49 PM »
We have two members that know about these HID pretty well.

Pat and JWool...they both have some sweet HID's...oh and Attworth too.

Offline Buckles

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 12:54:54 AM »
ive got HIDs in mine and i love them. for $80 shipped you cant beat them.

Offline Val3ntin0

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 08:25:07 AM »
These the bixenon from HID4U that pretty much everyone gets from the "other forum"? I've looked into those before. My one concern is that you can't adjust the bulb so that you don't blind people. I had a lifted F-150 just the other day behind me with one HID pointed towards the ground and the other straight at the back window of my truck. Plus, I'm a bit intimidated by the install of them. However, I saw a few good how-to's on the "other forum" on how to install them so that'll make it easier.

Offline leedriver

• Café Member
  • Detailing Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 09:42:48 AM »
+1 for Silverstars.... I have had a few burnout quicker than I liked, but you can't beat the look of them.
LD

Offline Buckles

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 11:47:53 AM »
These the bixenon from HID4U that pretty much everyone gets from the "other forum"? I've looked into those before. My one concern is that you can't adjust the bulb so that you don't blind people. I had a lifted F-150 just the other day behind me with one HID pointed towards the ground and the other straight at the back window of my truck. Plus, I'm a bit intimidated by the install of them. However, I saw a few good how-to's on the "other forum" on how to install them so that'll make it easier.
the bulbs adjust just like your regular bulbs. you have to adjust the actual headlight itself to aim them. the install is plug and play, the hardest part is finding someplace to mount the ballast. other than that its just as easy as changing a light bulb

Offline Val3ntin0

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 12:52:03 PM »
Hmm, in that case maybe I'll give that a shot. I have a three week paycheck coming in at the end of the month....

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 12:56:04 PM »
Don't you need a reflector or housing of some sort to make the HID's work properly?

I cannot use HID's for my truck with my alarm system...was told they would fry....

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 01:07:57 PM »
I love my HID's. I'll never drive another vehicle without them if I can stand it. There really is no substitute.

I paid about 80$ as well from flashplus on ebay. Shipping took a little too long but that's ok.

JP, you should be able to use HID's just fine. They don't draw all that much more than regular headlights. The ballasts hold a lot of energy, so the only major draw you get is right at start up. Now, if your lights turn on upon un-locking the truck, the only think you have to worry about is killing a battery from the draw without any charging going on. An Optima would cure that situation. I've run my HID's for hours on my optima along with the radio while working in the dark and the truck always starts right back up.

You are correct about needing some sort of reflector in the housing to prevent excessive scatter. NBS Fords are blessed with nice factory headlights, so there's no issues there. I can't comment on the OBS or other vehicles at the moment because I can't remember what they have. I know that most older chevy's and a lot of new ones don't have the right gear.

As for mounting ballasts, be sure to place them as far away from the engine compartment as possible. Heat will fry them. I have mine mounting right below the headlights on the radiator support/front bumper mount type area.
Anyway, there's my pennies for ya.

* Recent Photos

IMG_9228.JPG

Views: 2
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal