April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
[28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Trying a "VLOG" Style Vid  (Read 3283 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: Trying a "VLOG" Style Vid
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2024, 11:39:45 AM »
I really liked that straight up shot after the fire.  I love the feeling of isolation and perspective.  I was excited to see the trail without snow.  GoPros make things look small but that rock ledge looked like you just hit it too slow with the rear.  When it doubt, you could walk next to it.  Ive had to do that for a trail I was able to go down but not up.  Definitely some painfully blown highlights.  That sucks to get home, see it and realize there’s not much you can do about it.   The active track seemed to work well.  Were you holding back speed wise so you didn’t lose it or was that just what the trail dictated you could go? 

In the truck at the end you could see the noise in the shadows.  Made me think, have you seen the insta360 ace pro yet?  The footage I have seen has been impressive.  Same from the DJI Osmo Pocket 3 although that’s not an action cam.  Seems companies are figuring out low light, except GoPro.  Which sucks since I’m a GoPro user as well. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2024, 11:57:04 PM »
I think overall this vid turned out better than the last. I attempted to make the shots tighter and the cadence a little shorter. It was really nice to have found my mic and it made a big difference on the audio quality.

I agree that the ledge I was bumping up against probably could have been overcome with a little momentum, being alone and knowing what was further up (I came down the trail on the KTM in the summer) I just didn't want to chance having to back down it. It doesn't look like it in the vid, but that is a steep hill.

I must have hit the ISO or something on the drone controller, because I even had a decent filter on the lens and lots of those shots were washed out. I didn't perceive it on the little phone screen. All well, just something to improve upon next time around I guess. The active track was all over the place and I wasn't too happy with how it was actually following me, not sure how much of that was user error though. When I came to a stop when it was following at a lower altitude, I swear the drone didn't stop until it was just a couple feet behind my head. I think it struggled mainly due to the angle I had it shooting from, but will play more with it next time. I was going pretty slow mostly because the remote was in my lap and I didn't want to loose it, lol. That section of trail is rough and my XMR shocks kinda suck, which doesn't help either. Gotta figure out something to do with it where I can still easily grab it when needed.

I have been looking at that 360 ace pro. Everyone is raving about it and I've seen some pretty compelling reviews. Only thing holding me back is figuring out mounting for both types of cameras as I would still want to be able to use both camera's for different angles/shots. I guess investment in batteries and other accessories would add to the cost. If my bonus is decent next month, maybe I'll go for it and see how good it really is. The low-light shots are probably one of the biggest factors for me.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2024, 06:45:41 AM »
I wonder if the tracking is affected at all by the snow.  It’s so bright and reflective, I wonder if it confuses the sensors.  I would hate catch a prop to the back of the head.  Haha.  Man that would suck. 

Yeah the Ace looks awesome.  I guess it’s not different than starting over with the latest GoPro when GoPro decides to change up its batteries every few models.  It’s hard to jump ship for me because of the fear of being disappointed. 

On a side note, I was ripping around on the grizzly the other day at the house and for the life of me couldn’t figure out why I was suddenly so sore the next day.  I forgot how much that beats you up. 
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2024, 12:40:00 PM »
I wonder if it was the snow. Now that I think about it, I actually may have some sensors still disabled from a long time ago so I could get some water shots. I'll have to check that out, thanks for reminding me.

Looks like the 360 can use all the same mounts, but sits a little higher due to it's magnetic mount. Not ideal for some of my mounts, but not a deal breaker. I have just wasted an hour (when I should be working, lol) checking out details and reviews. If my bonus is good, I think it's worth it to grab one. I was looking at the action 4 as well, but for a few extra $$$ the 360 seems to be a no-brainer.

After nearly 50 miles of ruts and rough trials, I was pretty sore on Saturday. Getting old sucks, lol.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2024, 11:19:30 AM »
I do like that all of the companies are using the GoPro mounting system.  Makes it easy to switch. 

Does the preview on the controller of the drone have a zebra option that shows the blown out highlights?  You could use the exposure compensation to under expose a little and then just boost the shadows a little in post. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2024, 03:36:27 PM »
Well damn it, Best Buy has a sale on the 360 that ends today. Guess what’s in my shopping cart, lol.

Yes, thankfully it does have that feature on the drone display. I had it turned off due to the size of the phone screen (usually use an old iPad Mini). I’m just gonna have to keep it in mind last time.

Also, I checked and had some sensors disabled. That was probably causing issues with the active track.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2024, 04:46:13 PM »
I knew if I talked about it enough that you would be my guinea pig.  Haha.  Can’t pass up a sale.  Gotta save money where you can. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2024, 01:34:00 PM »
Anybody got an older GoPro that they're thinking of selling? As you might guess, I don't need the very latest model.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2024, 01:53:24 PM »
Anybody got an older GoPro that they're thinking of selling? As you might guess, I don't need the very latest model.
I possibly have a 7 Black I would donate to you.  I wouldn’t go older than a 7 because that’s when things got a lot better and way more stable.  I’ve had quite a few go pros and I wouldn’t hesitate to still use a 7 today. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2024, 06:23:20 PM »
The only extra one I have is a Hero 3+. It might qualify for antique status, lol.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2024, 06:25:13 PM »
The only extra one I have is a Hero 3+. It might qualify for antique status, lol.

I have one of them too.  I couldn’t do that to him.  I think I have a 3, 3+, 4, 7 and 9.  Maybe a 10 but I don’t think so. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2024, 06:39:40 AM »
I possibly have a 7 Black I would donate to you.  I wouldn’t go older than a 7 because that’s when things got a lot better and way more stable.  I’ve had quite a few go pros and I wouldn’t hesitate to still use a 7 today. 

That's way newer than the one I currently have. PM me and we'll work out a price. Thanks!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2024, 11:32:56 AM »

That's way newer than the one I currently have. PM me and we'll work out a price. Thanks!
No need.  It just sits here not getting used.  And honestly, if I end up in a situation where I want to run two cameras again, I will probably get something new just for the hell of it.  I may want something new to take out to Glacier.  If I can get a little time tomorrow I will send it out with whatever I have that specific to it.  Im pretty sure I still have your address. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2024, 06:48:32 PM »
Let’s see if it is any better. I hope to head out for an overnight trip this weekend to play with it.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2024, 07:05:05 PM »
Sure is pretty.  Looking forward to what you think of it.

* Recent Photos

IMG_3244.JPG

Views: 2
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal