1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 [20]
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Cleaning plastics of smoke tar  (Read 1067 times)

Offline texbigred1

• Café Member
Cleaning plastics of smoke tar
« on: May 30, 2023, 10:05:43 PM »
Any suggestions  on a good cleaner to clean some tar of plastics.   I have my yukon gutted and doing a head liner need to clean all the plastic can dip of needed.   Do have some poorboys apc but not much.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: Cleaning plastics of smoke tar
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 05:35:22 PM »
If it truly is tar, I doubt APC will even touch it. I'd try Stoner's Tarminator on a piece that's pretty well hidden from view as a test. The problem with Tarminator - or any solvent product - is that it will tend to dry out the plastic. This may lead to problems down the road. If it does work, I'd apply a good vinyl dressing afterwards.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 06:15:31 AM »
So the plastics are stained from smoking?  I don’t even know where I’d start with that.  I’ve had very good luck allowing PB natural look to dwell.  I’ve actually stained my plastics with it before because it dripped and I didn’t notice it.  Had to put a thick coat on to even it out. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline texbigred1

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2023, 09:48:34 PM »
It's that brown tint from cigarette  smoke.  I tried some mothers detailer and it cleaned it off pretty well.  I just want something I can make a bucket of and dip and clean then rinse the parts. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2023, 06:20:34 AM »
It's that brown tint from cigarette  smoke.  I tried some mothers detailer and it cleaned it off pretty well.  I just want something I can make a bucket of and dip and clean then rinse the parts.
Oh, that kind of tar. I was thinking road tar / bitumen. My bad. I would think a good strong mixture of APC and water would do it.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Cleaning plastics of smoke tar
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2023, 08:07:19 AM »
Just sip/soak and rinse?  I can only think of an APC or Degreaser.  Probably would need some kind of agitation.  I do wonder what bleach would do.  Bleach is used to clean all types of stuff, even baby toys. 

What type of tub or bucket are you dipping them in.  I imagine plastics being dash board and door panels.  They don’t exact fit in a standard 5 gallon bucket. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 08:08:53 AM by Kitzy »
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline texbigred1

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2023, 09:03:34 AM »
Plastic tote. Alot of the parts are smaller. I'm redoing the head liner also

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2023, 09:08:25 PM »
I have been slowly cleaning things in the garage the past 3 years and I use PoorBoys APC mixed 10:1 to clean stuff

Cleaned the ladders with a gong brush and APC, the rungs are no longer gold color - they are back to AL color.

The cars I used APC to scrub the door panels and used the Toronodo 20 to clean the headliners and spot bot & drill brush to clean the carpet.
Steve

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2023, 10:35:59 PM »
I know I am late to the party here. but if you can find some Megs APC+ and use it full strength, I know for a fact that it will dissolve nicotine tar and FAST.     

Megs APC+ is super rare these days, can probably only be found on Ebay....so my suggestion to consider would be to use Optimum APC full strength.    I have found that Opti APC is safer than Megs, as in, it won't remove the skin off your hands.  (Don't ask me how I know this). 

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

* Recent Photos

Work Cadi.jpeg

Views: 3
By: Kaleb G

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal