* Calendar

March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: I bought a new turbo too  (Read 3081 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
I bought a new turbo too
« on: January 29, 2023, 04:02:05 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
Re: I bought a new turbo too
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 12:06:32 AM »
Sweet. What are the specs?
================

Doug

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 06:05:57 AM »
I mentioned in the shout box that the F450 didn’t have the LATCH system built in to it for child safety seats.  Apparently my truck missed it being a standard feature but a year or something like that.  I’m a ford guy at heart but I am not brand loyal.  I was looking for a 2020 or newer F250.  I really wanted an F350 long bed but prices are just crazy.  3/4 tons are expensive enough.  A 3/4 ton will tow anything I need to for the foreseeable future.  I just wanted a long bed for when I get mulch or stone dumped in the bed by a loader.  But I ended finding this 2021 for a good price and they gave me a good price on my F450.  I started getting paranoid I wasn’t going to get enough for the truck.  It had an accident on it from when I dropped the camper on the bed so that kept showing up.  I did an oil change recently and half of the pan was covered in oil coming from the back of the motor.  The day before I traded it, I put a new DEF heater in it and noticed there was oil coming out where the driveshaft mates to the differential.  It was time for it to go. 

It’s a 2021 GMC 2500HD AT4.  It has 31k miles.  It is Brownstone Metallic in color.  Ford is killing the power game and GM is seemingly always behind.  But when it comes to the 3/4 tons, Ram doesn’t offer their high output diesel in them so you’re stuck with the least amount of power out of the big three brands.  There are other things I don’t like about the rams too like their awful mirrors and their short beds are really short.  6’4” bed compared to 6’9” for the others.  That 5” has been the different between removing the tailgate and closing it in the past. 

So far I like the truck.  The independent front suspension takes time to adjust to.  I’m always more confident with a solid axle. 

By the way, the amount of cameras on these trucks anymore these days is insane. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 06:49:06 AM »
Congratulations Mike! That's one sweet looking truck!

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 02:46:33 PM »
What a nice truck! I'm sure you'll enjoy the ride improvement along with the other benefits.

Now, when does it get Ceramic coated?
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 06:38:45 PM »
What a nice truck! I'm sure you'll enjoy the ride improvement along with the other benefits.

Now, when does it get Ceramic coated?
I’ve been sitting on some Poorboys coating for a while.  Might be time to finally use it.  As soon as things calm down a bit.  I’ve got a ton of doctors appointments as does Cassie and I’ve working on freshening up my old landscape trailer so I can sell it. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 08:59:05 AM »
Oh and thanks guys!  The more I drive it, the more I like it.  I reset the mpg yesterday because I didn’t believe the readout on the dash when i got it.  Especially since my boss said his new Denali is only getting 13 and he was disappointed.  Mine was reading around 17.  I rest it and drove 32 miles to work and then 32 miles home.  18 miles of turnpike and 2 miles of regular highway.  The rest is all very hilly, windy roads.  All highway mph were kept as close to 80mph as possible.  I averaged 18.1 with a best of 27.7 mpg. 

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 10:22:42 AM »
Nice truck Mike! If it's got the 8 speed or 10 speed in it you're going to love it. My 1/2 ton has the 8 speed in it and I didn't think I'd enjoy towing with a 1/2 ton.
Good enough never is

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2023, 12:24:17 PM »
Nice truck Mike! If it's got the 8 speed or 10 speed in it you're going to love it. My 1/2 ton has the 8 speed in it and I didn't think I'd enjoy towing with a 1/2 ton.
It has the 10 speed.  It has been an absolute joy to drive.  Quickly becoming my favorite truck I’ve had.  From the reviews I have read on the transmission, it’s not quite as good as Fords 10 speed which was a joint effort between Ford and GM.  Most of it was designed as a team effort with each company going their own way with it in the end.  And Fords is tunable where GM doesn’t allow tuning to theirs.  I don’t feel the shifts under normal driving but get a little spirited and you can feel them.  I don’t like that they don’t have a display of what gear you’re in though.  The Ford I drove did.  Not a big deal but it’s be nice to see what it’s doing. 

The truck is absolutely effortless under normal driving.  It’s comfortable, quiet and just goes with little to no hesitation or resistance.  I did take its light weight and extra power over the F450 for granted today when I got mad at a garbage truck for pulling out in front of me.  I went to pass him and the rear just kicked right out but quickly hooked back up no problem. 

I’m a Ford guy at heart but anyone who doesn’t atleast consider one of these is doing themselves a disservice.  Assuming you’re in the market for a similar vehicle that is. 

I was also pleasantly surprised today when I actually looked at the payload to see 3,232lbs.  The Ford I drove was 2,300 and change.  The dealership l also registered it as a class 3 rather than a class 4B.  Meaning that technically my gvwr is only 9k instead of the full 11k but on all honestly I’m only really concerned with it being safety able to haul weight, not the legality of it.  I’ll gladly save the money on registration and tolls. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2023, 02:10:33 PM »
It has the 10 speed.  It has been an absolute joy to drive.  Quickly becoming my favorite truck I’ve had.  From the reviews I have read on the transmission, it’s not quite as good as Fords 10 speed which was a joint effort between Ford and GM.  Most of it was designed as a team effort with each company going their own way with it in the end.  And Fords is tunable where GM doesn’t allow tuning to theirs.  I don’t feel the shifts under normal driving but get a little spirited and you can feel them.  I don’t like that they don’t have a display of what gear you’re in though.  The Ford I drove did.  Not a big deal but it’s be nice to see what it’s doing. 

The truck is absolutely effortless under normal driving.  It’s comfortable, quiet and just goes with little to no hesitation or resistance.  I did take its light weight and extra power over the F450 for granted today when I got mad at a garbage truck for pulling out in front of me.  I went to pass him and the rear just kicked right out but quickly hooked back up no problem. 

I’m a Ford guy at heart but anyone who doesn’t atleast consider one of these is doing themselves a disservice.  Assuming you’re in the market for a similar vehicle that is. 

I was also pleasantly surprised today when I actually looked at the payload to see 3,232lbs.  The Ford I drove was 2,300 and change.  The dealership l also registered it as a class 3 rather than a class 4B.  Meaning that technically my gvwr is only 9k instead of the full 11k but on all honestly I’m only really concerned with it being safety able to haul weight, not the legality of it.  I’ll gladly save the money on registration and tolls. 

I too was a long time Ford guy, but after all of the issues with my 2005 and 2010 F-150's, I went back to Toyota as most of you know. The Tacoma was pretty much bullet proof for 7 years and 115,000 miles when I sold it to get the 2023 4Runner. That truck / SUV is just barely 2 years old and has 42,500 miles on it already. Oh, and it's been absolutely flawless. So, you won't get any flak from me on switching brands!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2023, 03:19:22 PM »
I’ve had 6 Fords now, a Chevy and two GMCs. 

92 Mustang - would kill for another fox body but they’re craY expensive and I don’t have the time or money to build it.  It was never the same after I hit the pole.

96 Explorer - forgettable if it wasn’t for the mess of transmission problems

02 Expedition - I’ve always missed it.  Sometimes wish I would have kept it but it would have been long gone by now anyway.  Had quite a few modifications but ultimately tranny issues led to a fire that led to more issues.  It also spit a plug.  Cheap fix with a helicoil.

11 Mustang - obviously I miss this as well but that year didn’t age well and the next owner had an engine failure.  Probably his fault.  4 years. No issues.

11 Silverado 1500 6.2L - nice truck.  Pearl white.  Was a lot of fun to drive.  Never had any issues.  4 years no issues.

15 Sierra 2500 diesel - 2 years and only problem was a DEF heater covered under warranty. 

18 F250 diesel - 2 years but no problems.  Only traded it in because I needed a higher payload for towing the camper.  Tons of power and a blast to drive but never felt polished. 

16 F450 diesel - two years and all types of emissions problems.  I really liked the truck otherwise. 

Notice no Rams in there?  I just can’t do it.  I don’t hate them.  Just too many things I don’t like.  I’m very happy to not be in a white truck.  Last 3 out of 4 were white.  I like this brownstone metallic. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 10:35:06 PM »
I get that it’s in our nature to stick with what we know and like brand wise, but a brand will never be loyal to a customer so you gotta check all options when looking for something new.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 10:36:50 PM »
I’ve had 6 Fords now, a Chevy and two GMCs. 

92 Mustang - would kill for another fox body but they’re craY expensive and I don’t have the time or money to build it.  It was never the same after I hit the pole.

96 Explorer - forgettable if it wasn’t for the mess of transmission problems

02 Expedition - I’ve always missed it.  Sometimes wish I would have kept it but it would have been long gone by now anyway.  Had quite a few modifications but ultimately tranny issues led to a fire that led to more issues.  It also spit a plug.  Cheap fix with a helicoil.

11 Mustang - obviously I miss this as well but that year didn’t age well and the next owner had an engine failure.  Probably his fault.  4 years. No issues.

11 Silverado 1500 6.2L - nice truck.  Pearl white.  Was a lot of fun to drive.  Never had any issues.  4 years no issues.

15 Sierra 2500 diesel - 2 years and only problem was a DEF heater covered under warranty. 

18 F250 diesel - 2 years but no problems.  Only traded it in because I needed a higher payload for towing the camper.  Tons of power and a blast to drive but never felt polished. 

16 F450 diesel - two years and all types of emissions problems.  I really liked the truck otherwise. 

Notice no Rams in there?  I just can’t do it.  I don’t hate them.  Just too many things I don’t like.  I’m very happy to not be in a white truck.  Last 3 out of 4 were white.  I like this brownstone metallic. 

Geez and you give me shit for buying tires and wheels,

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2023, 01:18:57 AM »
Love your truck, Mike. Looks great. Glad you like it. That fuel mileage is very nice. 

I’ve had 17 Fords, 3 Chevys, 2 GMC, 1 Pontiac, 1 Toyota, 1 Cadillac, 1 Dodge, and 1 Ram, not counting toys.

My 2021 Ram 1500 is by far the best truck I have ever owned. Best ride and by far the best designed and most comfortable interior. The center console is light years ahead of anything else I’ve ever had.

I had so many issues with my 2017 F150 and such crappy dealer service experiences with it that I will probably never buy another Ford vehicle.

Complete list, just because

62 F100
76 Monte Carlo
81 GMC Sierra
87 GMC S15
88 Supra
93 F150
93 Cavalier
96 Explorer
98 Explorer
99 Ford Windstar
2000 Ranger
2002 Expedition
2002 Trans Am
2006 F150
2006 Five Hundred
2010 Taurus SHO
2010 Expedition
2011 F150
2008 Silverado
2014 Mustang
2015 Fusion Hybrid *
2017 F150
2018 Taurus SHO *
2018 Challenger Scat pack Shaker
2018 Cadillac CTS
2021 Ram 1500 *
2018 Taurus Limited *

Still have the four with a *

Doesn’t count these former toys:
64 F100
86 IROC Z
89 Trans Am
95 Firebird Formula
69 Firebird

and I still have the below toys:
66 GTO
86 Chevy Silverado short bed
2006 VW Beetle
48 Chevy 3100
================

Doug

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2023, 07:09:45 AM »
Love your truck, Mike. Looks great. Glad you like it. That fuel mileage is very nice. 

I’ve had 17 Fords, 3 Chevys, 2 GMC, 1 Pontiac, 1 Toyota, 1 Cadillac, 1 Dodge, and 1 Ram, not counting toys.

My 2021 Ram 1500 is by far the best truck I have ever owned. Best ride and by far the best designed and most comfortable interior. The center console is light years ahead of anything else I’ve ever had.

I had so many issues with my 2017 F150 and such crappy dealer service experiences with it that I will probably never buy another Ford vehicle.

Complete list, just because

62 F100
76 Monte Carlo
81 GMC Sierra
87 GMC S15
88 Supra
93 F150
93 Cavalier
96 Explorer
98 Explorer
99 Ford Windstar
2000 Ranger