March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Backing plates and detail project  (Read 4682 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: Backing plates and detail project
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2022, 07:19:10 PM »
Last two…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2022, 07:52:02 PM »
Last two…

Like!  :drool:

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2022, 02:14:24 PM »
That’s a pretty significant turn around! I’m sure it will have no issues selling.

2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
Backing plates and detail project
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2022, 06:40:13 PM »
That’s a pretty significant turn around! I’m sure it will have no issues selling.

It has relatively low miles.  It’s a 2011 with 120k miles on it.  I tried to compare it to others for sale but being a chassis cab they are all outfitted differently.  A stake body with out gates and similar mileage, same year was going for $36k.  One with a dump body, a year newer and twice the mileage was going for $46k.  If he can get mid $30s for it I think he would be thrilled.  Especially since he paid $42k for it over 10 years ago.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 06:55:08 PM by Kitzy »
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2022, 08:13:25 PM »
HD prices are still crazy around here. I think Ford and Ram had massive shutdowns at the plants that have had long lasting effects.

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2022, 02:52:53 PM »
I mentioned I exhausted the clay I was using.  No big deal.  I already had it laying around.  But when I was at the detail store, I noticed the nano skin stuff.  I’ve seen some of you mention it before but I’ve never seen it in person.  I saw they had a mitt and they have a 6” pad for the buffer.  And in two grades as well.  The buffer pad really got my wheels turning.  Especially since I looked at my old truck at work (not the current project but the one between my current truck and the current project) and noticed it too is wrecked with overspray.  So I’m thinking ahead.  And Ive got the itch to work on my truck.  It likely won’t happen until winter when I’ll park it in the shop at work and work on it there.  You wouldn’t believe how dusty my road is right now.  You can’t go slow enough.   You’re almost better off trying to outrun the dust. 

Anyway, how well do they work and are they as safe as clay?  The idea of going at the paint with a rubber pad on a buffer kind of makes me cringe. 

OK, now you got my attention again on this thread.  Here is my take on the Nano Skin for the DA/Flex etc.  It works WAY faster but i think it about 20% less effective than actual clay, depending on which clay you are using.  If it is Megs Blue, I think that is the standard go to, no questions asked.  I keep the purple and red on hand but they work.  Back to the topic, the Nano Skins are legit also but I think I must go too fast on the section.  Thanks for the reminder, I have to reorder some new ones soon, they don't last, they break down faster than a megs backing plate

I’m obviously late to this discussion, but I love my nano skins. I have several sizes and levels of aggressiveness.  The only reason I ever grab clay anymore is heavy tar or paint overspray. I am not a big fan of the buffer pad style.  I like feeling the paint as I am claying.

================

Doug

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2022, 06:34:51 PM »
It’s been raining like crazy so I was working in the shop today.  My boss stopped by and said someone was coming to look at the truck.  He ended up selling it for $31,000.  $6k more than he was originally going to list it for before I detailed it.  The guy asked me if I made everyone change their clothes before getting in.  He wanted to know how I kept the truck so clean. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2022, 06:48:12 PM »
Good job bud! That’s quite the compliment.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2022, 08:46:58 PM »
It’s been raining like crazy so I was working in the shop today.  My boss stopped by and said someone was coming to look at the truck.  He ended up selling it for $31,000.  $6k more than he was originally going to list it for before I detailed it.  The guy asked me if I made everyone change their clothes before getting in.  He wanted to know how I kept the truck so clean. 

Wait what. You sold your truck?   
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2022, 05:47:45 AM »

What better compliment can one ask for? Nice work!

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2022, 09:47:41 AM »

Considering he got 6K more.. do you think he will let you do them on the clock going forward ?

Paid 42K for it, and sold it for 31K a decade ( and miles ) later is pretty good.
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
Backing plates and detail project
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2022, 06:16:48 PM »

Wait what. You sold your truck?
I think you missed a few posts in this thread.  The thread grew beyond the backing plate issue.  Haha. But no, not my truck. 

« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 06:20:29 PM by Kitzy »

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2022, 06:20:02 PM »

Considering he got 6K more.. do you think he will let you do them on the clock going forward ?

Paid 42K for it, and sold it for 31K a decade ( and miles ) later is pretty good.
There was about 120k miles on the truck. 

Honestly, he doesn’t care what I do most of the time.  He loves when the trucks look good.  I try not to abuse any of the benefits I’ve earned over the years.  But I wil probs lay come in this winter and give my truck a good detail so it’s ready to roll for the spring.  I may even do my personal truck. 

* Recent Photos

IMG_9030.JPG

Views: 3
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal