1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: yup, I need some help  (Read 4126 times)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
yup, I need some help
« on: August 13, 2022, 08:21:48 PM »
ok, detail brothers.

Any of yall using an interior cleaner with brushes to get crude, food, dust out of buttons etc that won't hurt the function of the buttons? 

I am dealing with a teenager's car that is fast food trash can. 

Thanks

RR
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: yup, I need some help
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 09:11:56 PM »
ok, detail brothers.

Any of yall using an interior cleaner with brushes to get crude, food, dust out of buttons etc that won't hurt the function of the buttons? 

I am dealing with a teenager's car that is fast food trash can. 

Thanks

RR

Answering my own question here but I just ordered another Gallon of Optimum Power Cleaner, read that you can cut 3:1 for interior so I am going to try that but would love some feedback on this topic

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 06:11:17 AM »
JP,

I know exactly what you're talking about. I always worried that any product strong enough to loosen up and remove crud would also remove any lubricant in the switch mechanism and eventually cause the switch to fail. I even mentioned it once way back in our F150Online days on a Detailer's Domain video comment. (Never did get a response.)

The only thing I've ever done is gingerly apply small amounts of APC and then carefully brush the area - followed by a compressed air blast to remove as much crud and APC as possible.  On several really messed up switches, I also followed up with a small amount of WD-40 as a preventive measure.

Hope that helps.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022, 02:27:15 PM »
I would think any liquid in enough amounts to accumulate behind the buttons is probably bad.  Maybe if like Tom said, you blow it out afterwards and then maybe sit overnight without sending power to it, ie turning the car on, it might just dry out and not cause any problems. 

I will say I’ve used natural look in a large enough quantity to dwell for a bit and it’s pretty strong stuff.  The cleaners in it are stronger than you would expect.  I had it run down the dash once and leave a streak or stain that nothing would get out.  It actually took a more uniform coating and removal of natural look to get it off.  I’ve actually been considering doing the same thing to a work truck I have parked inside that I’ve been trying to make somewhat reasonable to park on the corner for sale.  The interiors only equal is the exterior on this very truck.  Epoxy overspray is an understatement.  I picked up a parts store special brush that attaches to a drill.  Let one of the guys go to town on it but it’s not good enough for me so I may try the natural look dwelling and then hit it with the drill brush.  Probably a lost cause. 

Maybe scrape off what you can with a toothpick, vac out the residue and then get in there with a cleaner. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2022, 10:51:41 PM »
I use this and and interior brush.  Works well, more foamy than pure liquid, wipes up well with a my towel.

https://ammonyc.com/collections/interior/products/ammo-lather-interior-cleanser
================

Doug

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 08:47:58 PM »
I use this and and interior brush.  Works well, more foamy than pure liquid, wipes up well with a my towel.

Doug, how in the hell did you know I was looking at AmmoNYC vids?   LOL/.  I totally suspected someone to bring this product up and, yup, you did.   LOL.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2022, 10:51:54 PM »
JP,

I know exactly what you're talking about. I always worried that any product strong enough to loosen up and remove crud would also remove any lubricant in the switch mechanism and eventually cause the switch to fail. I even mentioned it once way back in our F150Online days on a Detailer's Domain video comment. (Never did get a response.)

The only thing I've ever done is gingerly apply small amounts of APC and then carefully brush the area - followed by a compressed air blast to remove as much crud and APC as possible.  On several really messed up switches, I also followed up with a small amount of WD-40 as a preventive measure.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Tom, I actually was a little low on Optimum cleaner and saw a vid recently where you can use at a 4:1 ratio for this exact issue.   WD-40 is a good idea too, adding air prior may be what I do.   

Ordered bunch of new interior brushes to "froth
I would think any liquid in enough amounts to accumulate behind the buttons is probably bad.  Maybe if like Tom said, you blow it out afterwards and then maybe sit overnight without sending power to it, ie turning the car on, it might just dry out and not cause any problems. 

I will say I’ve used natural look in a large enough quantity to dwell for a bit and it’s pretty strong stuff.  The cleaners in it are stronger than you would expect.  I had it run down the dash once and leave a streak or stain that nothing would get out.  It actually took a more uniform coating and removal of natural look to get it off.  I’ve actually been considering doing the same thing to a work truck I have parked inside that I’ve been trying to make somewhat reasonable to park on the corner for sale.  The interiors only equal is the exterior on this very truck.  Epoxy overspray is an understatement.  I picked up a parts store special brush that attaches to a drill.  Let one of the guys go to town on it but it’s not good enough for me so I may try the natural look dwelling and then hit it with the drill brush.  Probably a lost cause. 

Maybe scrape off what you can with a toothpick, vac out the residue and then get in there with a cleaner. 

" up that foam to clean.

I have used NLD for years, love that product and you are right Mike, it has more cleaning ability than one thinks.  I suspect i could dilute it to get some froth....but going to test out the raio of 4:1 of optimum cleaner.   

I will take some befores and afters.   

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2022, 11:17:15 PM »

Doug, how in the hell did you know I was looking at AmmoNYC vids?   LOL/.  I totally suspected someone to bring this product up and, yup, you did.   LOL.

I love his interior stuff. Every product I have tried works as advertised. 
================

Doug

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2022, 02:38:57 PM »
I’m late to the party, but I just use a small amount of Optimum power clean (3:1) on a tooth brush and then wipe off. Basically, just enough product to get the job done.

I’m sure it varies vehicle to vehicle, but I’ve had my center stack switches apart and there is no lube or anything, they also had a membrane on the one side, so it would be difficult to do any real damage.

2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2022, 09:32:09 PM »
Thanks guys.   All good stuff.    I think I am good shape now.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2022, 04:44:25 PM »

Your brush game is strong. 

Why have we not seen any pictures? 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2022, 06:43:16 PM »

These were cheapies that I got off amazon, my daughter already stole a couple.   I wanted to try a few different brands and see what worked well etc.   

As for pics...does that not count as a pic?   Or do you mean pics of what I want to clean with it?   If so, I am almost too embarrassed to show them b.c its my daughters car and she apparently didn't come from my loins.   

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2022, 07:47:37 PM »

These were cheapies that I got off amazon, my daughter already stole a couple.   I wanted to try a few different brands and see what worked well etc.   

As for pics...does that not count as a pic?   Or do you mean pics of what I want to clean with it?   If so, I am almost too embarrassed to show them b.c its my daughters car and she apparently didn't come from my loins.
You’ve already outed her.  Not to mention she’s only half from you.  This is clearly her mothers fault.  Isn’t that what marriage is about?  I wouldn’t throw the wife under the bus but the kids…. Absolutely. 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2022, 10:20:20 PM »

You’ve already outed her.  Not to mention she’s only half from you.  This is clearly her mothers fault.  Isn’t that what marriage is about?  I wouldn’t throw the wife under the bus but the kids…. Absolutely. 

Valid.  EOM.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2022, 09:37:35 PM »
BTW fellas the more I use this Optimum power clean the more i like it.    I have used it for a couple of years now, kind of been searching for a suitable replacement for Megs APC+, i think this will do.   What chall using?

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal