1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Cargo Trailer Spruce Up  (Read 23223 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: Cargo Trailer Spruce Up
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2022, 10:06:24 AM »
Looks beautiful! I'd be taking a serious look at the increased weight causing a need for upgrades to suspension, brakes, tires, etc. though.
I would think as long as he doesn’t go over the gvwr of the trailer or be close to it at all times, he should be ok.  What I would watch is the outriggers of the frame, the side to side parts of the frame outside of the main frame rails.  Ours break all the time.  With the added weight of the walls and whatever you put on the ceiling, all of that weight will accumulate where the walls meet the floor.  It may never be an issue but it’s just something to watch out for. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point - especially when he adds the weight of the bedroom furniture required when the wife throws him out for spending too much on the trailer.  :funny:

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2022, 12:30:26 PM »
Good points for sure. This is not a heavy duty trailer, but does have a higher GVW of 7800#s compared to others I saw. Base trailer weighed 2500#s

My goal was to keep the add ons around 500#s which should let me have 4500#s of cargo and still have some buffer.

Right now with the quad and all the other crap I bring, we are around 1500#’s of cargo.

I’m hopeful that the structure is sturdy enough for anything I add. It’s the same style and materials they use for their fully insulated trailers with windows and water tanks, etc.

2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2022, 01:06:19 AM »
I was able to get a little more done today amongst family duties.

T&G halfway up both sides and four 120v outlets mounted with pigtails run up to the roof.

I’m not sure how much time I’ll have over the next couple of days, but I would like to get all the wiring roughed in, all plywood in and the cabinet mounted.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2022, 09:20:58 AM »
Speaking of bedroom furniture, what is the plan for that?  Air mattresses, camping cots or mattresses?  Should have installed a couple Murphy beds.  Haha

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2022, 09:23:11 PM »
For now, the plan is a simple full size collapsing frame and a air mattress that has a foam topper for the Wife and I. The kids are getting camping bunk beds. They can be a couch or a bunk beds. Similar to what we would use in a ground tent.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/disc-o-bed-cam-o-bunk-large-benchable-bunked-double-camping-cot-beds-w-organizers-carry-bags-0743653p.0743653.html?ds_rl=1283573&ds_rl=1283573&gclid=Cj0KCQjwz7uRBhDRARIsAFqjulmWIxM7zgjjhkIUNNVeY5DDUdv7E-XPQ1qtGJNt-fTuczcYym2tsogaAv_eEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#store=637

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2022, 08:31:07 AM »
My Wife has been gone on a business trip all week and won’t be back until Monday, but when she’s back, work will spin back up on the trailer.

Going to finish the pine T&G first, then do all the electrical. I’ve decided that I just going to do some simple smooth finish plywood on the ceiling and not try to get fancy.

The floor will be last. I’m still leaning towards that epoxy that Mike posted about earlier. I need decent temps to apply, so it may take a few weeks.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2022, 09:43:48 AM »
You should definitely do that epoxy floor.  I need a Guinea pig incase it sucks. 

Also, just dropped my camper off for the new owners.  It’s gone.  Sold it for more than we payed for it a year ago and came out with a little extra cash. 

Oh and my work trailer finally got finished yesterday morning.  I’m ready to be done with that trailer shop/dealer but it’s not my call. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2022, 07:57:57 AM »
Glad you made out well on the 5th wheel, crazy how prices have jumped. Inflation is a b*tch though, we are seeing everything go up in price.

I hope the work trailer holds up for a while, I’m going to guess that the shop your boss is using, is not a good one, lol.

I didn’t get any after pictures, but a friend came down to help and we finished up the pine on the walls and got a coat of clear waterproofing stain on.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
Cargo Trailer Spruce Up
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2022, 08:50:56 AM »
Glad you made out well on the 5th wheel, crazy how prices have jumped. Inflation is a b*tch though, we are seeing everything go up in price.

I hope the work trailer holds up for a while, I’m going to guess that the shop your boss is using, is not a good one, lol.

I didn’t get any after pictures, but a friend came down to help and we finished up the pine on the walls and got a coat of clear waterproofing stain on.

It’s the shop we have used for 10+ years and they have never let us down.  They have actually gone above and beyond for us in the past.  I don’t want to hold this against them too much as I know businesses are struggling everywhere, especially with having enough employees, let alone good employees.  Shipping it out the door with a flat pissed me off.  And the fact that they used screws to secure the panel on an otherwise screw less trailer. 

I look forward to seeing the trailer.  We went to dinner at a friends house recently and he had a trailer I did t even know about and he was doing the same thing.  On a smaller scale though.  Not quite as fancy but it will be functionally the same. 

Editing because I realized I didn’t mention the day I picked it up.  I got there and they were just stickering it for inspection.  This was after deciding to finally inspect it the day it was supposed to be ready for pickup and telling us we needed axle seals and two new tires.   My boss had them replace the wheels and tires With brand new ones and we would have the old tires replaced on the wheels for spares.   I got a few miles from the trailer shop and stopped to go to the bathroom only to see the completely flat tire.  The truck I had didn’t have a jack or any wood blocks.  But I did have an impact in the trailer and two Sapir wheels and tires so I got creative.  All of this after the idiot who forked my trailer out in to the yard for me to hook up put it on blocks so high I could lower the jack enough to hook up. 

« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 11:25:01 AM by Kitzy »

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2022, 06:11:46 PM »
That is pretty crappy, glad you figured something out.

I’m surprised you guys are using 6 bolt wheels, everything around here that is HD, is 8 bolt wheels.

On the road again tomorrow, but hope to make a big dent in the trailer progress of the next couple of weeks. I want to get out for the weekend after May Long

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2022, 05:04:46 PM »
That is pretty crappy, glad you figured something out.

I’m surprised you guys are using 6 bolt wheels, everything around here that is HD, is 8 bolt wheels.

On the road again tomorrow, but hope to make a big dent in the trailer progress of the next couple of weeks. I want to get out for the weekend after May Long

I never even gave it any though to the lugs.  They are 9,990 gvwr trailers.  Some of the guys tend to overload them but In all honesty, they’re junk.  Even though they’re rated for 10k, they can’t handle that on a daily basis, 1,000 miles per week.  But any heavier duty and we would need CDLs. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2022, 08:16:36 PM »
Ah, I see. That makes sense, anything over 10k pounds up here and we need a “class 3” license to pull.  The 8 bolt trailers up here are considerably beefier though.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
Cargo Trailer Spruce Up
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2022, 09:55:40 PM »
Second coat of stain done on the walls.

Next up is FINALLY some power stuff.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2022, 06:18:54 AM »
Nice! Is that a spa or your trailer? Wait a minute, we might be onto something here ...

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2022, 09:43:05 AM »
Well, it is meant to be used to get away and relax, lol.

I am pretty disappointed about how dark this so called “clear” stain made the wood, but I’m not sanding it down now.

* Recent Photos

IMG_3434.JPG

Views: 1
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal